littlejimm

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
I have been a long-time fan of the Gran Turismo series on Playstation, and more recently Forza on Xbox, but I am a PC Gamer at heart. Are there any good racing sims out there for pc?

I am aware of the F1 series of games that seems to always get included in benchmarks at various tech sites, and haven't played it yet, but I am really looking for a game that includes a number of different types of cars and racing styles and am making a guess that F1 would be a little too restrictive.

Any advice?

Stringjam

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011

If you like Gran Turismo I would take a look at Shift 2 Unleashed. I will warn you though, this game has some tricky handling, and digging into the car configuration is almost mandatory on some models because they all seem to oversteer too much.

GRID is a slightly older game that still looks great and is all-around easier to handle.

I still really like both games, but I prefer Shift 2 for the "edge of disaster" feeling it tends to give me. LOL

Here's a short video I made in Shift2 driving Nurburgring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W36cGu7hpEc

yasir siddiqui

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
my choice is "Need for speed Most wanted" and "Need for speed undercover" these games are most interesting and have good graphics & stylish cars. play and tell me what do you feel after playing this. have fun ;)

littlejimm

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
Thank you for the suggestion for Shift 2, will look into it.

Though I haven't played anything from the series since Hot Pursuit(?), I always thought that the Need for Speed series was a little too "arcadey" for my taste. Have they changed that in the recent releases? I'm really just looking for a detailed car racing simulator.

Stringjam

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011

The other NFS titles are arcade racers....if you're looking for a GT2, then you will be very disappointed with those. Shift 2 is a completely different game (more of a sim), and it is probably the closest type of game to Gran Turismo I've played on PC.

If you get it, download the "minimod." Trust me here....it gets rid of a lot of the floatiness of the vehicles and tightens up the handling, without being too intrusive and altering the game too much. If you don't have a steering wheel, you'll see how important this mod is. ;) I play with a controller, and I almost gave up on this game before I found this mod and dug deeper into car configs. Now I love it.

whiteshadow_22

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
I haven't played Shift 2 but the first shift was good graphically but a bit on the arcadey side. You could only do short length races. It was a kind of crossover between sim\arcade.

Grid is a good game, although a bit arcadey BUT Codemasters stopped supporting their servers a while ago, so there's no multi-player for it anymore.

If you can handle a slightly older game without flashy graphics I'd suggest looking at GTR 2 Evolution\Race 07. They're proper simulators and you can race in loads of different cars. The handling is alot more realistic than some of the other games mentioned.