Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1

I run XP Pro on my laptop between my home network and my school network.
What is this, and why should I install this update?

The .net framework is a set of programming tools created by Microsoft. Many
application developers use these tools, and so more and more software is
requiring the .net framework. Install it now or later...it's only a matter
of time.

Ted Zieglar