What are power levelling, kill stealing and buff bots?

In a thread above people were discussing the pros and cons of EQ2. I noticed
the following terms being bandied about:

Power leveling.
Kill stealing.
Buff bots.

Can someone give me a definition for these please?
12 answers Last reply
More about what power levelling kill stealing buff bots

    Home Mail wrote:
    > In a thread above people were discussing the pros and cons of EQ2. I noticed
    > the following terms being bandied about:
    >
    > Power leveling.

    When a high level char sits by and through healing, buffs, doing damage
    themselves, makes it so a lower level char is killing many times the
    amount of mobs they could kill on their own and leveling waaaayy faster
    than it would be possible for that lower level char to level through
    soloing or grouping with similar level char.

    > Kill stealing.

    Taking a mob that someone else has already engaged in combat. (Sometimes
    KSing is also used to describe taking a mob that another person has
    'camped' <i.e., been sitting there waiting for it to spawn>)

    > Buff bots.

    Chars who sit in PoK and seemingly do nothing but buff other people's
    chars for profit.

    In <312a0nF34sfubU1@uni-berlin.de> "Home Mail" <angelfire@pumhc.com> writes:

    > In a thread above people were discussing the pros and cons of EQ2. I noticed
    > the following terms being bandied about:

    > Power leveling.

    Using a high-level character to "babysit" a low-level character, enabling
    the low character to earn experience very quickly. (In EQ1, this is
    typically achieved with damage shields and frequent healing. I don't know
    what the exact tactics are in EQ2.)

    > Kill stealing.

    Killing a mob that someone else had already engaged, or killing a mob from
    a group of mobs someone had already staked out.

    > Buff bots.

    A secondary character, often run from a second computer, whose only purpose
    is to follow your "real" character (or group) around and hand out buffs.

    --
    John Gordon "Between BST melee, their spells, their warders' melee,
    gordon@panix.com and their warders' procs, they put out enough damage

    "Tracey" <rbrancher2@aol.com> wrote in message

    > > Buff bots.
    >
    > Chars who sit in PoK and seemingly do nothing but buff other people's
    > chars for profit.

    Nah. Those are buff whores. Buff bots travel with the party on someones
    second computer to cast on demand, but ungrouped so you're not "wasting" a
    group slot on that support class.

    --
    Davian - Wood Elf Warrior on Guk
    Talynne - Half Elf Rogue on Guk

    On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 04:36:52 GMT, Tracey <rbrancher2@aol.com> wrote:

    >> Buff bots.
    >
    >Chars who sit in PoK and seemingly do nothing but buff other people's
    >chars for profit.
    Not quite - they are usually a character someone is 2-boxing, brought
    along purely to buff a specific group or player. They usually do not
    actually join the group they are there to buff, and function purely as
    a buff resource.

    Palindrome

    Davian wrote:
    > "Tracey" <rbrancher2@aol.com> wrote in message
    >

    >>>Buff bots.
    >>
    >>Chars who sit in PoK and seemingly do nothing but buff other people's
    >>chars for profit.
    >>

    > Nah. Those are buff whores. Buff bots travel with the party on someones
    > second computer to cast on demand, but ungrouped so you're not "wasting" a
    > group slot on that support class.

    <sigh> I knew that. Really. :)

    Tracey

    John Gordon wrote:

    >> Power leveling.
    >
    > Using a high-level character to "babysit" a low-level character,
    > enabling the low character to earn experience very quickly. (In EQ1,
    > this is typically achieved with damage shields and frequent healing.
    > I don't know what the exact tactics are in EQ2.)

    There aren't any *effective* ways to power-level in EQ2.
    One can't buff or heal players who are engaged in combat
    unless they're part of your group. Group buffs - like SoW
    or damage shields - drop when the player disbands. All
    you can really do is truly *babysit* -- if the player looks
    like they'll die, they can /yell for help, and get healed. But
    then the mob doesn't give XP, so it's really just a way to
    stop someone from dying if they have bad luck with the
    RNG.

    On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 18:04:58 GMT, "Wolfie" <dbgbdwolf@gte.net> wrote:

    >There aren't any *effective* ways to power-level in EQ2.
    >One can't buff or heal players who are engaged in combat
    >unless they're part of your group. Group buffs - like SoW
    >or damage shields - drop when the player disbands. All
    >you can really do is truly *babysit* -- if the player looks
    >like they'll die, they can /yell for help, and get healed. But
    >then the mob doesn't give XP, so it's really just a way to
    >stop someone from dying if they have bad luck with the
    >RNG.

    That's a shame, as I like getting a KEI and running to all the
    low-level zones, buffing as I head through. Dropping into
    Blackburrow, or Paludal Caverns and healing/buffing is always
    appreciated, and I have made some good in-game friends like that.

    Don't get me wrong, I have no liking for hard-core powerlevelling,
    where the first lvl 65 Froglok was seen in mere days after the
    expansion's release, but giving out buffs to lower-level players
    initiates quite a lot of social activity and encourages the "pay it
    forward" style of play.

    Palindrome

    bombaymix@altavista.co.uk (BombayMix) writes:

    > I have noticed people are now standing next to dead teammates and
    > waiting for a passing priest to rez them. A few times I've been asked
    > to temporarily group just to rez someone.
    >
    > You can rez ungrouped players. Done that a few times too.

    No right now, you can't, unless they've fixed it but didn't mention it
    in update note. The reason is it was too easy to grief by rezzing
    since there's no confirmation dialog - find someone who died in the
    middle of a group of dangerous mobs, and keep rezzing them until you
    get bored, thus making them accrue a lot of XP debt and possibly
    keeping them from playing if they can't click the revive button fast
    enough. They're adding a confirmation dialog, but until that's in
    you're not supposed to be able to rez people outside your group.

    patrik@nordebo.com writes:
    > > You can rez ungrouped players. Done that a few times too.
    >
    > No right now, you can't, unless they've fixed it but didn't mention it
    > in update note. The reason is it was too easy to grief by rezzing
    > since there's no confirmation dialog - find someone who died in the
    > middle of a group of dangerous mobs, and keep rezzing them until you
    > get bored, thus making them accrue a lot of XP debt and possibly
    > keeping them from playing if they can't click the revive button fast
    > enough. They're adding a confirmation dialog, but until that's in
    > you're not supposed to be able to rez people outside your group.

    Huh? Which game are you talking about? EQ1 definitely has a
    confirmation box on rez. (And given that, if there's a rez in
    EQ2, I'm surprised they left out the confirmation there.)

    The discussion up to this point has been mostly examples from
    EQ1, though admittedly that wasn't made explicit. (The bit
    about the power-levelled level 65 Froglok was a strong clue,
    though. :-)

    -- Don.

    -- Sukrasisx, Monk 49 on E. Marr Note: If you reply by mail,
    -- Terrwini, Druid 38 on E. Marr I'll get to it sooner if you
    -- http://www.iCynic.com/~don

    Talking about EQ2. And like I said I've rezzed upgrouped people and
    been rezzed when not in a group. All without a confirmation box. Could
    be a bug that's been fixed though as when I tried it recently it
    didn't seem to work unless I was grouped

    "Don Woods" <don-ns@iCynic.com> wrote in message
    > patrik@nordebo.com writes:
    > > > You can rez ungrouped players. Done that a few times too.
    > >
    > > No right now, you can't, unless they've fixed it but didn't mention it
    > > in update note. The reason is it was too easy to grief by rezzing
    > > since there's no confirmation dialog - find someone who died in the
    > > middle of a group of dangerous mobs, and keep rezzing them until you
    > > get bored, thus making them accrue a lot of XP debt and possibly
    > > keeping them from playing if they can't click the revive button fast
    > > enough. They're adding a confirmation dialog, but until that's in
    > > you're not supposed to be able to rez people outside your group.
    >
    > Huh? Which game are you talking about? EQ1 definitely has a
    > confirmation box on rez. (And given that, if there's a rez in
    > EQ2, I'm surprised they left out the confirmation there.)
    >
    > The discussion up to this point has been mostly examples from
    > EQ1, though admittedly that wasn't made explicit. (The bit
    > about the power-levelled level 65 Froglok was a strong clue,
    > though. :-)

    definitely an EQ2 thingy =)

    "bombaymix" <bombaymix@altavista.co.uk> wrote in

    > Talking about EQ2. And like I said I've rezzed upgrouped people and
    > been rezzed when not in a group. All without a confirmation box. Could
    > be a bug that's been fixed though as when I tried it recently it
    > didn't seem to work unless I was grouped

    Same here, rezzed and been rezzed out of group, but, was about two weeks
    ago, and there is indeed no comfirmation box as of the last time I was
    rezzed.

    One nifty thing they added was a spell to summon an item that allows any
    player to rez you (the priest) in (might work on anyone, have never tried
    it). Summon one for each group member, and even if the priest dies, so
    long as one person lives, all can be rezzed back in.

    --
    On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

    On Steamfont in <Bane of Evil>
    Graeme, 16 Dwarven Shaman, 14 Scholar