PROBLEM: multiple OS installed [c:boot.ini]

If I have confirmed (via the above referenced file) that I have more than one
OS installed in the same partition, is it possible to delete, disable, or
move one of these OS? Could one of these OS be designated the default OS?
As you might have guessed, I am quite the novice.
--
give peas a chance
4 answers Last reply

    This is the tricky part as an error here will make your OS unbootable. Do
    not do this if you are uncertain and do not have backups of important data.

    If you click Start->Run and type cmd and then press Enter you get a command
    window. At the prompt, enter SET, press Enter and look at the last line
    windir=c:\windows. In my case the currently started OS is installed in
    c:\windows, default for Windows XP.

    Now look in the boot.ini again. Look for the entry that hasn't got the same
    path as you found above by using the SET command. That other path should be
    safe to delete and therefore removing the other OS installation.
    In my case it says multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS which equals
    c:\windows, ie my currently started OS. The other entries are other
    installations.

    Remember, an error will be fatal so be careful and make backups!

    /Jonas

    "tommy" <tommy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > If I have confirmed (via the above referenced file) that I have more than
    > one
    > OS installed in the same partition, is it possible to delete, disable, or
    > move one of these OS? Could one of these OS be designated the default OS?
    > As you might have guessed, I am quite the novice.
    > --
    > give peas a chance

    OK ... I really appreciate your help, Jonas. I have identified which OS I
    want to keep and which one I would like to delete. This was on the last line
    of the SET cmd.

    windir=C:\WINNT
    The other installation in partition 1 is windr=C:\WINDOWS

    Here's what listed for c:\boot.ini

    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Home
    Edition" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
    Edition" /fastdetect

    Final questions (I hope): What specific command do I enter at the
    START->RUN cmd prompt to delete one of these paths (installations) the safest
    way? Do I have to delete the OS that's not currently running? Please advise.

    Thank you so much.

    Jonas" wrote:

    > This is the tricky part as an error here will make your OS unbootable. Do
    > not do this if you are uncertain and do not have backups of important data.
    >
    > If you click Start->Run and type cmd and then press Enter you get a command
    > window. At the prompt, enter SET, press Enter and look at the last line
    > windir=c:\windows. In my case the currently started OS is installed in
    > c:\windows, default for Windows XP.
    >
    > Now look in the boot.ini again. Look for the entry that hasn't got the same
    > path as you found above by using the SET command. That other path should be
    > safe to delete and therefore removing the other OS installation.
    > In my case it says multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS which equals
    > c:\windows, ie my currently started OS. The other entries are other
    > installations.
    >
    > Remember, an error will be fatal so be careful and make backups!
    >
    > /Jonas
    >
    > "tommy" <tommy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > If I have confirmed (via the above referenced file) that I have more than
    > > one
    > > OS installed in the same partition, is it possible to delete, disable, or
    > > move one of these OS? Could one of these OS be designated the default OS?
    > > As you might have guessed, I am quite the novice.
    > > --
    > > give peas a chance

    Hi!

    I would guess that your current OS was upgraded from Windows NT4/2000 as it
    is installed in a folder named WINNT. To remove the other installation,
    simply just use the Windows Explorer and delete the C:\WINDOWS folder by
    right-clicking on ite, holding down the shift key while clicking on Delete
    and answer Yes. The Shift key-thing makes the delete permanent, ie it
    doesn't go to the Recycle Bin.

    But as I said before, make backups of your important data *BEFORE* trying
    this, better safe than sorry!

    Good luck

    > OK ... I really appreciate your help, Jonas. I have identified which OS I
    > want to keep and which one I would like to delete. This was on the last
    > line
    > of the SET cmd.
    >
    > windir=C:\WINNT
    > The other installation in partition 1 is windr=C:\WINDOWS
    >
    > Here's what listed for c:\boot.ini
    >
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Home
    > Edition" /fastdetect
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
    > Edition" /fastdetect
    >
    > Final questions (I hope): What specific command do I enter at the
    > START->RUN cmd prompt to delete one of these paths (installations) the
    > safest
    > way? Do I have to delete the OS that's not currently running? Please
    > advise.
    >
    > Thank you so much.
    >
    > Jonas" wrote:
    >
    >> This is the tricky part as an error here will make your OS unbootable. Do
    >> not do this if you are uncertain and do not have backups of important
    >> data.
    >>
    >> If you click Start->Run and type cmd and then press Enter you get a
    >> command
    >> window. At the prompt, enter SET, press Enter and look at the last line
    >> windir=c:\windows. In my case the currently started OS is installed in
    >> c:\windows, default for Windows XP.
    >>
    >> Now look in the boot.ini again. Look for the entry that hasn't got the
    >> same
    >> path as you found above by using the SET command. That other path should
    >> be
    >> safe to delete and therefore removing the other OS installation.
    >> In my case it says multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS which
    >> equals
    >> c:\windows, ie my currently started OS. The other entries are other
    >> installations.
    >>
    >> Remember, an error will be fatal so be careful and make backups!
    >>
    >> /Jonas
    >>
    >> "tommy" <tommy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > If I have confirmed (via the above referenced file) that I have more
    >> > than
    >> > one
    >> > OS installed in the same partition, is it possible to delete, disable,
    >> > or
    >> > move one of these OS? Could one of these OS be designated the default
    >> > OS?
    >> > As you might have guessed, I am quite the novice.
    >> > --
    >> > give peas a chance

    Hello

    Having a similar problem, however, I upgraded my main board and as a result
    of a messy windows repair, was forced to do a parallel install. When my
    machine boots up, it prompts me to select an OS. I would like to edit my
    boot.ini to omit my dead os and boot the freshly installed one.

    I currently have the new os installed to C:\WINXP

    Just curious if this boot.ini file looks correct

    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINXP
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINXP="Microsoft Windows XP
    Professional" /fastdetect

    Thought it would be safer to ask someone who knows what they are doing
    before i completely mess up my machine.

    Zach
    "finding new ways to kill Windows"

Boot Microsoft Windows XP