Sign in with
Your question

USB Port Durability

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 25, 2001 5:41:54 PM

I need to know what sort of durability you'd get out of a typical USB port. That is, how often could you plug a USB device into the port and remove it before the port becomes unusable from wear.

I'm currently working on an application that might entail the USB port being used a thousand times a month.

Any clues on where I can get this data?

- My Computer Uses Me -

More about : usb port durability

September 25, 2001 8:29:17 PM

Most computer connectivity devices are not tested for what would be deemed as making an excessive amount of physical connections. Your best bet in this case is to use:

A) An extension cable that would act as the source for the devices that you are plugging and unplugging.

B) An external hub.

This way should there be a "wear out" issue, you would simply have to replace either the hub or cable and thus protected the larger investment you have in the mainboard.

Steve Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'
December 5, 2008 5:37:31 PM

According to USB specifications, different ports have different durability standards. See the specification on the following site:

http://www.answers.com/topic/universal-serial-bus

Following excerpt may answer your question:

"The newer Micro-USB receptacles are designed to allow up to 10,000 cycles of insertion and exertion between the receptacle and plug, compared to 500 for the standard USB and Mini-USB receptacle. This is accomplished by adding a locking device and by moving the leaf-spring connector from the jack to the plug, so that the most-stressed part is on the cable side of the connection. "

- Rashika
Related resources
January 30, 2013 2:53:22 AM

Stable,
I found this answer to be the closest thing to the information I need. I did not even think about any issue of USB port durability prior to, apparently, wearing out both USB receptacles on my desktop. Now, one of the USB ports won't accept a USB at all, it's just too big now to even hold the USB connector, while the other holds it, but nothing registers. So, if they are both shot, how does one replace them? I have zero computer hardware working knowledge, no IT skills, certainly not in the hardware area. Are my choices to take it somewhere, or scrap the box and start over? If I take it somewhere, will technicians who know what they are doing be able to replace the USB receptacles for a reasonable price?

~ hstencil

stable said:
Most computer connectivity devices are not tested for what would be deemed as making an excessive amount of physical connections. Your best bet in this case is to use:

A) An extension cable that would act as the source for the devices that you are plugging and unplugging.

B) An external hub.

This way should there be a "wear out" issue, you would simply have to replace either the hub or cable and thus protected the larger investment you have in the mainboard.

Steve Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'

January 30, 2013 3:39:01 AM

To my personal experience, If you have something that you're just going to plug in once, it won't be worn down at all, of course. The back of the motherboard won't wear off as much as the front depending on the amount of front usb ports you have on your case. I noticed that if the usb ports are on the front panel of the case, they will get worn out quick especially if you have a microphone or a phone charger or a very thick/heavy usb device cable always plugged into it since it might tend to "sag" on the port, same with the motherboard ports. Anything on the top panel of your case will have less wear due to no sagging. And it also depends on your house environment, ex: if you have children with curious fingers or pets that like biting/pulling on cords.

I use a mic and a few other things quite often and the front panels usb ports on my case wore out within a year.
January 31, 2013 1:03:42 AM

ok thanks, but I already know they are beat. Question is, how to replace them?
!