Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

WMI permissions refused

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
October 14, 2004 4:01:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

This enquiry started as 'Can t Collect Information'. I'm reposting
under a more appropriate subject. I hope this will catch the eye of
anyone who is savvy about either WMI or Permissions in general, or
ideally both!

Windows Management Instrumentation Server (WMI) is implicated in
several problems I have at present on this XP Home PC. For example,
when I to run SysInfo (msinfo32.exe) I get "Can't Collect Information;
Access denied to Windows Management Instrumentation server on this
computer. Have an administrator change your access permissions."

I've tried the following
Msinfo32.exe Generates a "Can't Collect Information" Error Message:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=323209
it didn't resolve the problem.

All 3 of those were and are running OK here, according to my Services
list.

And that KB 259733 is a long and (to me) dauntingly complex page. In
overview it says:
"To resolve these issues, you can configure the service to use the
built-in system account, change the password for the specified user
account to match the current password for that user, or restore the
user's right to log on as a service."

Eh? What are 'the built-in system account', 'the specified user
account', and 'that user'?

I'm the only user (Terry, Computer administrator, Password protected),
so I assume the part of the body of the article that is relevant is
that which begins:
"Member Server; If the user is a member of a stand-alone member
server: 1. Start the Local Security Settings MMC snap-in,"

That too is hard going for me! How do I start that in practice on XP
Home please?

Is there some simpler explanation of how to 'change my access
permissions't for what must be a very straightforward case, namely 1
solo user, with no network apart from a broadband connection?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 3:16:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Terry Pinnell <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote:

>I hope this will catch the eye of anyone who is savvy about
>either WMI or Permissions in general, or ideally both!

<snip>

>Is there some simpler explanation of how to 'change my access
>permissions' for what must be a very straightforward case, namely
>solo user, with no network apart from a broadband connection?

Hope someone will be able to help me on this, as many other things
I've tried have failed. In summary: how do I change access
permissions, to fix the error: "Access denied to Windows Management
Instrumentation server" please?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 6:35:23 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

It's long and involved to understand by there is a post 10/14/2004 203 am by
Arp Heimstra (like that)

There is a reg entry to change.
That doesn't nessessaraly fix everything but it's the only thing I have
found to make the DCOM error stop.

SJ
"Terry Pinnell" <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote in message
news:9i8vm01l47amvrviap4tnm108o2fdsdiv7@4ax.com...
> Terry Pinnell <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote:
>
>>I hope this will catch the eye of anyone who is savvy about
>>either WMI or Permissions in general, or ideally both!
>
> <snip>
>
>>Is there some simpler explanation of how to 'change my access
>>permissions' for what must be a very straightforward case, namely
>>solo user, with no network apart from a broadband connection?
>
> Hope someone will be able to help me on this, as many other things
> I've tried have failed. In summary: how do I change access
> permissions, to fix the error: "Access denied to Windows Management
> Instrumentation server" please?
>
> --
> Terry, West Sussex, UK
>
>
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 2:52:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

No one with any further suggestions please?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 2:52:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Terry Pinnell <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote:

>Terry Pinnell <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote:
>
>>I hope this will catch the eye of anyone who is savvy about
>>either WMI or Permissions in general, or ideally both!
>
><snip>
>
>>Is there some simpler explanation of how to 'change my access
>>permissions' for what must be a very straightforward case, namely
>>solo user, with no network apart from a broadband connection?
>
>Hope someone will be able to help me on this, as many other things
>I've tried have failed. In summary: how do I change access
>permissions, to fix the error: "Access denied to Windows Management
>Instrumentation server" please?

No one with any advice please?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 5:36:56 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

<0-<0

0>-0>

^ ^
0v0

Don't see no one?
I'm invisabe!
That explains a lot. :) 

SJ
"Terry Pinnell" <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote in message
news:lqr1n0ddlc7j5f5msa9pevr3e2b0pu00sd@4ax.com...
> Terry Pinnell <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote:
>
>>Terry Pinnell <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I hope this will catch the eye of anyone who is savvy about
>>>either WMI or Permissions in general, or ideally both!
>>
>><snip>
>>
>>>Is there some simpler explanation of how to 'change my access
>>>permissions' for what must be a very straightforward case, namely
>>>solo user, with no network apart from a broadband connection?
>>
>>Hope someone will be able to help me on this, as many other things
>>I've tried have failed. In summary: how do I change access
>>permissions, to fix the error: "Access denied to Windows Management
>>Instrumentation server" please?
>
> No one with any advice please?
>
> --
> Terry, West Sussex, UK
>
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 4:50:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"SlowJet" <SlowJet@noTY2this.com> wrote:

><0-<0
>
>0>-0>
>
>^ ^
>0v0
>
>Don't see no one?
>I'm invisabe!
>That explains a lot. :) 

Thanks SlowJet. Must be some glitch in my Agent newsreader (or my
eyes!), as I didn't see that earlier helpful post of yours until now.
And I see I duplicated my *own* post - sorry.

Pretty sure you must mean this one, yes?
http://tinyurl.com/5cj59

As you say, it's complex. Will study after lunch. Thanks for your
help.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
17 October 2004, 12:49 UK time
!