AMD_cErTiFiEd

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
You know it's amazing....
I have been watching all of these posters saying how crappy Via's chipset is and how they would never touch it. Now all of a sudden everyone is leaping off the wagon and praising the same compay they were only a week ago turning everyone away from. Make up your minds either you like them or you don't. I personally have always enjoyed Via since the days of the MVP3 chipsets. Sorry fella just venting. ;)

Blame the newbies not the technology

AMD_cErTiFiEd

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
I Had many good times with the MVP3-G2 and the G5 with 0 problems with stability or performance... Like I said before I work for a company that only sells AMD with generally only VIA chipsets, so I guess I have just found a way around all the so called bugs and stability issues.

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
which manufacturers do you think put out the best boards? as far as performance, conflicts, bios updates, customer service, etc? i'm looking at a new board soon, all i've had is a supermicro. i've always heard that abit and gigabyte are really good. i'm not looking to overclock though.

ewww, put that thing away, you're in public!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, I OWN a company that deals in these things and I KNOW there are MANY compatability issues with the MVP3, and stability issues as well. Look up my post from last year.

Back to you Tom...

AMD_cErTiFiEd

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Well I am the head tech in charge of all building and service without any issues.. Could name a few probs you guys had there with them?

MBETEA
I would recommend for stability the MSI range I personally prefer the KT266 until the "A" comes out. I also like EPOX except their RMA policy is a little bit shady. I have never liked ASUS on the AMD side, for intel they are fine. We mainly dropped ASUS due to the probs with the voltage regulator and the IO voltage being a bit high

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your stupid if you quite using Asus because the I/O was a bit too high-it says right in the manual that it's set to 3.4v via jumper, for which you can choose 3.3v by changing it. Go troll somewhere else, I've posted my grievences about VIA over 100 times in here and don't feel like doing it agian!

Back to you Tom...

AMD_cErTiFiEd

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Dude I am only stating my opinion here like everyone else not trolling... You have some serious issues... It seems you always have to be right and get pissed off and sulk if anyone dissagrees with you.. If you dont like go somewhere else I am only trying to find out what you guys think. I am not only interested in your opinion even though I welcome it. You have a serious attitude problem. Not once did I insult you or get pissed off at your opinion

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Intel makes some solid boards, as does Gigabyte. Tyan has a great reputation. Aopen and Shuttle make some reasonably good cheap boards. I prefer Abit and Asus because I overclock. I never have had to deal with customer service with a manufacturer, I figure out problems myself. I have had a few defective boards which I've simply sent back to the vender.

Back to you Tom...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I occasionally get pissed off at posiers. If you had a lot of experience you wouldn't stand behind VIA so easily. Of course if you consider manually configuring the system normal because you've never had an Intel chipset, then I can at least make a casual observation as to your lack of knowlege concerning these matters!

Back to you Tom...

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
thanks guys for the info. the tyans are definitely nice boards, if i was gonna go with duals on this one i would be getting one (well besides the obvious fact their the only one's with dual mobo for amd). i'm holding out til the athlon XP is out. the two chipsets i'm looking at are SiS's and Via's. i've never had experience with either (only had a bx board). so i'm looking to be objective. the kt266a does look fast and promising. the sis boards do not look bad at all either. though the one thing that started me thinking about not getting a SiS based board was the memory bandwidth benchmarks i've seen comparing it to the kt266a. looking at sis's site they should quite a few good manufacturers that will be using the 735 chipset. but when? well i'm looking at it too as i'm waiting for the athlonXP. so whoever is out by then with some feedback i'll go with. thanks again.

ewww, put that thing away, you're in public!

forgettythatty

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2001
I'm with Crashman. I don't think he has an attitude problem, he just gets ticked at people sayin stuff he knows isn't true and acting like they know for sure what they're sayin is right (or correct me if that is incorrect crash). I get ticked to when people do that too.

While I kinda get ticked at people in forums, it doesn't even compare to how I feel when sites make up pure crap.

Like here is an example:

<A HREF="http://www.athlonoc.com/stepping1.php" target="_new">http://www.athlonoc.com/stepping1.php</A>
This site has some guy guessing and writing.

This is the real information:
<A HREF="http://www.ocinside.de/html/workshop/socketa_id.html" target="_new">http://www.ocinside.de/html/workshop/socketa_id.html</A>

I am not saying that whole site is bad, but reading the article and then going to the real info makes you want to slap the guy who wrote the "AMD Stepping Guide". There is still the code there in the real info though, so all is not lost in the article.

forgettythatty

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2001
Actually I must admit I'm not sure about the stepping code stuff. I have a very very hard time with the fact that after they have collected data for over 1000 cpus, they still couldn't figure out that third line is the serial number.

AMD_cErTiFiEd

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
And it goes the same for the other way for me. I have alot of experience with the older Asus boards super7 with ali chipset. The IO was reading 3.45-3.5 which pushed the cpu temp to almost 50+ C. We specialize in AMD so I am affraid I wholeheartedly dissagree with Crashman on this one. Granted Asus had one of the fastest if not fastest boards for the K6-2, but we found they ran a bit hot for our tastes.. I also prefer to manually configure and set up all machines I build. I have only had one bad experience with VIA, That was some professional audio mixing card called Delta that would not work with a via chipset at all.

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
Via's chipsets are crappy and I would never touch it.

See a real naked pic of Britney Spears <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">here</A>!!!

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
stick_e_mouse I'm starting to feel the same way. I've used motherboard with KT133 and KT133a chipsets and I had HORRIBLE problems at first with instability and frequent blue screens. Now with my Epox 8K7A+ which has AMD761 chipset I havn't seen a blue screen in months (I've only owned the board for a few months) and its extremely stable.

stable

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
As a heads up, we've build about 600 systems using KT133A based boards from Asus, Abit and MSI and have ZERO (count 'em!) problems with user complaints regarding the "Many problems" some users here are ranting about, nor returns from defects.

They don't crash or have the Live card problems that some of the adamant posters in here are still yapping about 3 months after everyone discovered and FIXED the issues incorrectly reported as “problems with the 686B”. It should be noted that TO THIS DAY Via still notes that there are NO KNOWN BUGS with the 686B, but rather motherboard OEM's using REFERENCE BIOS and drivers to build their respective systems. It would be especially nice if people starting realizing that Creative Labs isn't worrying about compatibility NOR providing support. Thus, this should be considered a creative problem and not a Via problem.

Last week some bonehead pointed out in one of my posts that not only do Creative Labs Live cards have this problem, but also Audigy based cards... excuse me but.. DUH.. IT'S THE SAME DAMN THING. As Audigy is OWNED by Creative, I would assume everyone would that the two issues are inseparable.

Sure, we had SOME problems initially, but they have been corrected through correct card placement, interrupt settings and BIOS/driver updates.

I think some of the posters in these groups assume that everyone is running their systems on the edge by overclocking and by using custom configurations. For the majority of consumers, these issues just don't come into play. This majority isn't interested in squeezing out every last MHz by making 20 BIOS adjustments and playing with voltages and step settings that push the envelope of stability.

On the other hand, there are those that DO want to push systems to the edge. Some go a bit to far (pardon the pun) and push the system over the edge through voltage burnouts, fried CPU's and leaking capacitors. Then there are the people that overclock without realizing that the overclocking process itself shortens the lifespan of ALL of the systems' components, never mind producing sometimes-unusual bugs. WAKE UP AND REMEMBER THAT IF YOU RUN OUT OF SPECIFICATION, YOU MAY HAVE PROBLEMS!

Yes, Asus ships with default voltages set too high. They do this to get better specifications and that is the ONLY reason. Users should lower the voltages to the correct settings to preserve components and increase stability.

Finally, we come to my favorite group of users. The people that bitch about problems THEY don't have, but have "Heard of". I had one guy point me to an article where you had to be in a very specific situation to replicate the problem. The only issue I had with this particular situation was that it would never be repeated as the particular configuration in question was so outlandish that nobody in his or her right mind would be running like that ANYWAY.

I mean why the hell would anyone put a Promise Ultra-100 controller in an Asus A7V133 Rev.1 board with an Ultra 160 SCSI Card, A sound blaster Live card, two NICs and two CD-Burners? This system wasn't designed for this kind of configuration so building it like this is just plain stupid. It's not the PC's fault it is the users.

Motherboard selection should be based on your needs. You figure out what you want to do with it and then select the best board, based on these needs and possible future requirements. No motherboard can be all things to all people, assuming so makes you more stupid than Intel in building the I845.

I haven't seen any truly bad boards since the I820 Chipsets (not including the I845 which is a fiasco in that the manufacturer (Intel) agrees that the CPU was not designed to run in this configuration!). Even the KT133 boards aren't as bad as some people would have you believe.

People come to this site for INSIGHT and ADVISE regarding which products to use for different circumstances and to get help fixing problems. Most of the problems (probably 95%) on here are FIXABLE, thus we experts should concentrate on giving good GENERAL advise when it comes to making recommendations for NEW hardware, and give our best insights on issues relating to fixing problems. We shouldn't waste our time slamming products that MAY be a decent solution for the mainstream, but less than perfect in a system that is overclocked by 25% with a deluge of odd components. We should point out possible weaknesses regarding overclocking, but again, with the insight to identify that there are truly no horrifically bad products besides I820 and I845 builds. In closing I would like to point out that the 440BX is probably STILL the best platform for managing PC133 RAM, a whopping 7 years after it came out! So while people are running around bitching about the I815E (which all of our business customers running office applications love BECAUSE of the onboard features, not despite them) and the KT133A, which people say have all kinds of problems, yet 99% of the KT133A user base can’t replicate, maybe we should concentrate on bigger and better things like how we can get the new IA-64 CPU’s to market quicker.

Oh yeah, we have two spec boards with the KT266A on them here and we love them. But then again, we never really bitched about the KT266 (other than it was slower than our 761 setups, which we knew about in advance anyway). All of the newest AMD support chipsets look fairly nice, each having little difference from the next, with very close specifications in most cases. We look for the best boards (in terms of stability FIRST and FOREMOST) and then look to performance after, but that's just us.

Steve Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'

FatBurger

Illustrious
They don't crash or have the Live card problems that some of the adamant posters in here are still yapping about 3 months after everyone discovered and FIXED the issues incorrectly reported as “problems with the 686B”. It should be noted that TO THIS DAY Via still notes that there are NO KNOWN BUGS with the 686B, but rather motherboard OEM's using REFERENCE BIOS and drivers to build their respective systems. It would be especially nice if people starting realizing that Creative Labs isn't worrying about compatibility NOR providing support. Thus, this should be considered a creative problem and not a Via problem.

Great to hear. I have an Abit KT7a-RAID, and cannot use my Live. Care to drive to my house and fix it for me? I've installed:
1. W2k's SP2
2. Via's 4-in-1 v4.32
3. A different patch from Via, meant to address this problem specifically

Still doesn't work. Any ideas, He Who Knows All?

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
I probably won't have a motherboard or other major upgrade for another year or so, but if I were to build a computer for a friend, relative, or customer, I would definitly be looking at the SiS chip--especially if Abit, Asus, or MSI comes out with one by the end of the month.

See a real naked pic of Britney Spears <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">here</A>!!!

AMD_cErTiFiEd

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
I agree with you 100%. I couldn't have said it better myself. I have built many machines with the live range of cards with no problems whatsoever. But that doesn't mean that people are not having problems with them. Out of 500 Jaguars there can be quite a few bad ones.