EQ2: Spell progression

Hi All;

I have my spells to Apprentice II. If I find an Adept1 book for a spell,
will I be able to skip over Apprentice III and jump the spell immediately to
Adept I level, OR, do I have to have Apprentice III first?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Doctorzoid
11 Cleric
18 answers Last reply
More about spell progression

    On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 07:01:03 -0600, Doctorzoid wrote:

    > Hi All;
    >
    > I have my spells to Apprentice II. If I find an Adept1 book for a spell,
    > will I be able to skip over Apprentice III and jump the spell immediately to
    > Adept I level, OR, do I have to have Apprentice III first?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help.
    >
    > Doctorzoid
    > 11 Cleric

    You can skip over them. Finding them (either dropped or reasonably priced)
    is the problem. At least with rogue books.
    --
    RJB
    11/30/2004 8:35:47 AM

    "If there are any questions, direct them to that brick wall over there." --
    Network President (South Park)

    > I have my spells to Apprentice II. If I find an Adept1 book for a spell,
    > will I be able to skip over Apprentice III and jump the spell immediately
    > to Adept I level, OR, do I have to have Apprentice III first?

    In my experience App IIs are kind of a waste, just skip right to App IIIs or
    Adepts soon as you can find and afford them.

    Yes, you can skip over any of the intermediate steps and scribe the highest
    level spell that your skills will support. In my experience the skill
    requirements are pretty lenient so that if you have a spell to begin with,
    you're very likely to be able to scribe any upgrade to it, all the way to
    Adept III and maybe even Master.

    --
    Redbeard
    <Veritas>

    Descendant of the Elder Winterfury Thunderwolf
    <Resolution, Retired>
    Barbarian Prophet of The Tribunal
    Retired Citizen of Firiona Vie

    Bob Perez <myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE> wrote:
    >In my experience App IIs are kind of a waste, just skip right to App IIIs or
    >Adepts soon as you can find and afford them.

    For important spells, it may be worth getting app2 if app3 is hard to find or
    enough more expensive that you won't get it for awhile. For instance, I'd
    recommend any mage get app2 of root ASAP, then app3 when you can find/afford
    it. app1 just doesn't last very long, and app2 usually survives a nuke or
    two.
    --
    Mark Rafn dagon@dagon.net <http://www.dagon.net/>

    "Doctorzoid" <Doctorzoid@nospam.net> wrote in message

    > Hi All;
    >
    > I have my spells to Apprentice II. If I find an Adept1 book for a spell,
    > will I be able to skip over Apprentice III and jump the spell immediately
    > to Adept I level, OR, do I have to have Apprentice III first?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help.
    >
    > Doctorzoid
    > 11 Cleric

    Thanks all for the info. I was knoll hunting and several Adept books
    dropped. None were any of my current spells and just wondered if one
    dropped, could I use it or when I leveled and got a spell, if one of those
    books was something I could use, did I have to wait and go thru the App
    levels to use it.

    Doctorzoid
    11 Cleric

    On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 08:36:30 -0500, RJB <robartle@NOSPAM.hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 07:01:03 -0600, Doctorzoid wrote:
    >
    >> Hi All;
    >>
    >> I have my spells to Apprentice II. If I find an Adept1 book for a spell,
    >> will I be able to skip over Apprentice III and jump the spell immediately to
    >> Adept I level, OR, do I have to have Apprentice III first?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for your help.
    >>
    >> Doctorzoid
    >> 11 Cleric
    >
    >You can skip over them. Finding them (either dropped or reasonably priced)
    >is the problem. At least with rogue books.

    I have all mine to App 3 (I'm lvl 19) and have yet to find an Adept 1.

    I'll need to start checking the vendors, I think.

    And what's with all the carrots ?

    On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 15:18:37 +0000, Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 08:36:30 -0500, RJB <robartle@NOSPAM.hotmail.com>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 07:01:03 -0600, Doctorzoid wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi All;
    >>>
    >>> I have my spells to Apprentice II. If I find an Adept1 book for a spell,
    >>> will I be able to skip over Apprentice III and jump the spell immediately to
    >>> Adept I level, OR, do I have to have Apprentice III first?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance for your help.
    >>>
    >>> Doctorzoid
    >>> 11 Cleric
    >>
    >>You can skip over them. Finding them (either dropped or reasonably priced)
    >>is the problem. At least with rogue books.
    >
    >I have all mine to App 3 (I'm lvl 19) and have yet to find an Adept 1.
    >
    >I'll need to start checking the vendors, I think.
    Check with the brokers and you'll see what PC merchants have for sale.
    If you buy from the broker there is built into the price you see a 20%
    markup. To save that markup you can go directly to the PC's location
    (make a note of it including what location they are selling from,
    could be from other that PC's house) and buy direct. Once you sell to
    an NPC vendor it's gone from the game. No vendor diving in this game
    as far as I know.

    --
    Wulfbones 16 Gnome Cleric Qeynos Antonia Bayle
    Wulfrunner 15 Gnome Predator Qeynos Antonia Bayle

    Wulfbones

    On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 15:18:37 +0000, Mark Morrison wrote:

    > On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 08:36:30 -0500, RJB <robartle@NOSPAM.hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 07:01:03 -0600, Doctorzoid wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi All;
    >>>
    >>> I have my spells to Apprentice II. If I find an Adept1 book for a spell,
    >>> will I be able to skip over Apprentice III and jump the spell immediately to
    >>> Adept I level, OR, do I have to have Apprentice III first?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance for your help.
    >>>
    >>> Doctorzoid
    >>> 11 Cleric
    >>
    >>You can skip over them. Finding them (either dropped or reasonably priced)
    >>is the problem. At least with rogue books.
    >
    > I have all mine to App 3 (I'm lvl 19) and have yet to find an Adept 1.
    >
    > I'll need to start checking the vendors, I think.

    App3 isn't a problem (except for the money that is), but I've yet to see an
    Adept drop for me or for sale on AB. Of course, I haven't been looking that
    hard so I'm sure they've been out there.
    --
    RJB
    12/1/2004 10:52:57 AM

    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

    RJB <robartle@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in

    > On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 15:18:37 +0000, Mark Morrison wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 08:36:30 -0500, RJB <robartle@NOSPAM.hotmail.com>
    >> wrote:

    >>>You can skip over them. Finding them (either dropped or reasonably
    >>>priced) is the problem. At least with rogue books.
    >>
    >> I have all mine to App 3 (I'm lvl 19) and have yet to find an Adept
    >> 1.
    >>
    >> I'll need to start checking the vendors, I think.
    >
    > App3 isn't a problem (except for the money that is), but I've yet to
    > see an Adept drop for me or for sale on AB. Of course, I haven't been
    > looking that hard so I'm sure they've been out there.

    I've seen a number of adept 1 drops in various zones, I have sold 2, and
    I have 2 that I could use.

    --
    On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

    On Steamfont in <Bane of Evil>
    Graeme, 16 Dwarven Shaman, 14 Scholar

    On 1 Dec 2004 16:14:54 GMT, Graeme Faelban wrote:

    > RJB <robartle@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in
    >
    >> On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 15:18:37 +0000, Mark Morrison wrote:

    >>> I have all mine to App 3 (I'm lvl 19) and have yet to find an Adept
    >>> 1.
    >>>
    >>> I'll need to start checking the vendors, I think.
    >>
    >> App3 isn't a problem (except for the money that is), but I've yet to
    >> see an Adept drop for me or for sale on AB. Of course, I haven't been
    >> looking that hard so I'm sure they've been out there.
    >
    > I've seen a number of adept 1 drops in various zones, I have sold 2, and
    > I have 2 that I could use.

    LOL are you on Antonia?
    --
    RJB
    12/1/2004 11:16:08 AM

    Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea -- massive,
    mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it.
    -Gene Spafford

    "Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > RJB <robartle@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in
    >

    > > App3 isn't a problem (except for the money that is), but I've yet to
    > > see an Adept drop for me or for sale on AB. Of course, I haven't been
    > > looking that hard so I'm sure they've been out there.
    >
    > I've seen a number of adept 1 drops in various zones, I have sold 2, and
    > I have 2 that I could use.

    I myself have had two drop, one of which my rogue was able to use. (Adept 1
    Ensnare)

    I see people selling them via /auction all the time though, and the broker is
    absolutely filled with them. (At outrageous prices, of course... but they are
    there.)

    --
    Davian - Wood Elf Warrior on Guk
    Talynne - Half Elf Rogue on Guk

    On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, RJB wrote:

    > On 1 Dec 2004 16:14:54 GMT, Graeme Faelban wrote:
    >
    > > I've seen a number of adept 1 drops in various zones, I have sold 2, and
    > > I have 2 that I could use.
    >
    > LOL are you on Antonia?

    I can't answer for Graeme, but I'm on Antonia and I get Adept 1 books to
    drop all the time (if I understand the question). To date I've seen
    inflame, back shot, evade, efflorescence, and one other I cannot recall
    the name of.

    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

    Jerelyn Foxeye -- http://www.foxeye-art.com

    On Antonia Bayle (EQ):
    [18 Iksar Cleric] Viizanafyaeth
    [6 High Elf Fighter] Foxeye

    On Order (Horizons):
    [10 Monk/Druid Saris] Foxeye

    On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 17:06:49 GMT, Foxeye Vaeltaja wrote:

    > On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, RJB wrote:
    >
    >> On 1 Dec 2004 16:14:54 GMT, Graeme Faelban wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've seen a number of adept 1 drops in various zones, I have sold 2, and
    >>> I have 2 that I could use.
    >>
    >> LOL are you on Antonia?
    >
    > I can't answer for Graeme, but I'm on Antonia and I get Adept 1 books to
    > drop all the time (if I understand the question). To date I've seen
    > inflame, back shot, evade, efflorescence, and one other I cannot recall
    > the name of.

    True, but those aren't all rogue books. But like I said, I haven't been
    looking too hard. I'm sure they're out there and I'm sure I'll get them....
    eventually. ;)

    --
    RJB
    12/1/2004 12:18:37 PM

    "Lisa, if you don't like your job you don't strike. You just go in every
    day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way."
    -Homer Simpson

    On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, RJB wrote:

    > On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 17:06:49 GMT, Foxeye Vaeltaja wrote:
    >
    > > I can't answer for Graeme, but I'm on Antonia and I get Adept 1 books to
    > > drop all the time (if I understand the question). To date I've seen
    > > inflame, back shot, evade, efflorescence, and one other I cannot recall
    > > the name of.
    > >
    > True, but those aren't all rogue books. But like I said, I haven't been
    > looking too hard. I'm sure they're out there and I'm sure I'll get them....
    > eventually. ;)

    Oh, heh, you meant rogue ones. Well, to be fair, I've yet to see anything
    priestly or cleric-ish myself. I think there is code in the RNG to prevent
    us from getting adept books we can use ourselves.

    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

    In article <m5Kdnao8SsBXAjDcRVn-hQ@comcast.com>,
    Doctorzoid <Doctorzoid@nospam.net> wrote:
    >Thanks all for the info. I was knoll hunting and several Adept books
    >dropped. None were any of my current spells and just wondered if one
    >dropped, could I use it or when I leveled and got a spell, if one of those
    >books was something I could use, did I have to wait and go thru the App
    >levels to use it.
    >
    >Doctorzoid
    >11 Cleric

    Dunno if it's skewed distribution or luck of the draw, but my cleric
    has found no Adept I books for himself either. My wife's warrior has
    all the luck with 3 or 4 skills at Adept I now, and we've given away
    or sold a couple for scouts and mages.

    -- Ray

    Foxeye Vaeltaja wrote:

    > I think there is code in the RNG to prevent us from getting
    > adept books we can use ourselves.

    Heh. I was about to ding the mid-level necessary to scribe
    my next instant heal (18.6, IIRC.) I'd seen *one* on the
    broker while I'd been looking. So naturally I went out
    and bought the Adept version so I could scribe it right
    after I gained the spell -- upgrading heals to Adept is a
    "good thing" for priests.

    So I'm out running around, pulled a double-up green stag
    in Archer's Woods, killed it to ding and get the ability, and
    it dropped a chest -- with that very same Adept.... (As in
    "ding, you have gained a new ability, and BTW here's the
    Adept version...")

    Naturally I put the one I bought back on the market.
    Of course, I also saw 5 other copies -- all selling for
    about half what I'd paid the night before...

    On 1 Dec 2004 16:14:54 GMT, Graeme Faelban
    <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:

    >RJB <robartle@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in
    >
    >> On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 15:18:37 +0000, Mark Morrison wrote:

    >>> I have all mine to App 3 (I'm lvl 19) and have yet to find an Adept
    >>> 1.
    >>>
    >>> I'll need to start checking the vendors, I think.
    >>
    >> App3 isn't a problem (except for the money that is), but I've yet to
    >> see an Adept drop for me or for sale on AB. Of course, I haven't been
    >> looking that hard so I'm sure they've been out there.
    >
    >I've seen a number of adept 1 drops in various zones, I have sold 2, and
    >I have 2 that I could use.

    I've found 5 - gave 3 to guildmates, still have 2.

    And what's with all the carrots ?

    On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 17:34:04 GMT, Foxeye Vaeltaja <foxeye@EEKSPAM.com>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, RJB wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 17:06:49 GMT, Foxeye Vaeltaja wrote:
    >>
    >> > I can't answer for Graeme, but I'm on Antonia and I get Adept 1 books to
    >> > drop all the time (if I understand the question). To date I've seen
    >> > inflame, back shot, evade, efflorescence, and one other I cannot recall
    >> > the name of.
    >> >
    >> True, but those aren't all rogue books. But like I said, I haven't been
    >> looking too hard. I'm sure they're out there and I'm sure I'll get them....
    >> eventually. ;)
    >
    >Oh, heh, you meant rogue ones. Well, to be fair, I've yet to see anything
    >priestly or cleric-ish myself. I think there is code in the RNG to prevent
    >us from getting adept books we can use ourselves.

    Possibly - in 1 session I found 2 books that I gave to a guildmate,
    who is a Shaman. Nothing for my Rogue before or since...

    And what's with all the carrots ?

    "Davian" <davian@nospammindspring.com> writes:

    [Adept I books]

    > I see people selling them via /auction all the time though, and the
    > broker is absolutely filled with them. (At outrageous prices, of
    > course... but they are there.)

    They seem to be disgustingly common in Vermin's Snye, I think I have
    six or seven Adept I books in the bank, none of which I can use of
    course. Plus maybe ten or twelve level 12-29 tradeskill books. All
    of that from a couple of days of doing quests down there.

Games Video Games Books