wireless network problems

Mike

Splendid

hello all,

i am not really great with computers but i was successfully able to set up a
wireless network in my apartment. i brought a belkin router and notebook
card.

the problem is i tried to set up a network so i can access the hard drive on
my desktop through my lap top. but it seems that it cant find my computer or
network. the lap top is running windows 2k and the desktop is xp pro. i even
tried to find the printer but it was a no go. i also tried to map the drive
but it cant find my comp.

also on the desktop i tried creating a network through the home networking
wizard, it got to the end and it says an error has occured u can try setting
it up manually.

any help would be great

--

Michael Flanagan

"Mike" <micaaronfl@yahoo.com> wrote:

>hello all,
>
>i am not really great with computers but i was successfully able to set up a
>wireless network in my apartment. i brought a belkin router and notebook
>card.
>
>the problem is i tried to set up a network so i can access the hard drive on
>my desktop through my lap top. but it seems that it cant find my computer or
>network. the lap top is running windows 2k and the desktop is xp pro. i even
>tried to find the printer but it was a no go. i also tried to map the drive
>but it cant find my comp.
>

>also on the desktop i tried creating a network through the home networking
>wizard, it got to the end and it says an error has occured u can try setting
>it up manually.
>
>any help would be great

Have you enabled sharing on the drive and printer you are trying to access?

--
The reply to email address is a valid address of a
proven spammer, quoted with the sole intention of

"Mike" <micaaronfl@yahoo.com> wrote in

> hello all,
>
> i am not really great with computers but i was successfully able to
> set up a wireless network in my apartment. i brought a belkin router
> and notebook card.
>
> the problem is i tried to set up a network so i can access the hard
> drive on my desktop through my lap top. but it seems that it cant find
> my computer or network. the lap top is running windows 2k and the
> desktop is xp pro. i even tried to find the printer but it was a no
> go. i also tried to map the drive but it cant find my comp.
>

> also on the desktop i tried creating a network through the home
> networking wizard, it got to the end and it says an error has occured
> u can try setting it up manually.
>
> any help would be great

The link should help.

http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/guidshrh.htm

Also the Win 2k Pro and the XP Pro computers may be using different NIC
(Network Interface Card) protocols preventing them from seeing each
other.

You can use the following as the services and protocols on the NIC(s) on
both machines:

1) Client services for MS Networks
2) File and Print Sharing for MS networks
3) QoS Packet Scheduler --- XP Pro only
4) Internet Protocol TCP/IP

1, 2 and 4 must match between machines.

Also, you can disable Simple File Sharing on XP Pro which gives it the
same look and feel as Win 2K Pro when setting up File Sharing on XP Pro.

Duane :)