Windows 7 Family Pack is Now Back for Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

No Japan either. Seems software companies want to keep punishing us expats for moving out here. Most likely they are working out how to double the price for Japan as the normal premium on English software.

G

Great deal, but don't ever call for support on license problems, moving licenses, etc. Their phone support people can only understand (one code == one license) and will tell you your product code is invalid. Hours of phone run-around.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]India aint on the countries list.guess a "family pack" there would have included 8 licenses![/citation]

Like they ever sold 1 unit in India anyway...

[citation][nom]ytoledano[/nom]What can a household of pirates do with 3 upgrade licenses?[/citation]

Nothing. And you just need 1 pirate per household.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
[citation][nom]TommySch[/nom]Like they ever sold 1 unit in India anyway...Nothing. And you just need 1 pirate per household.[/citation]
LOL, yea you just need one licensed pirate per household.

Mark Heath

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
I wouldn't mind having this except using non-upgrades. I know it'd be less useful for most people, but new computers + XP on the old ones could save me a decent amount of money.

Aussie_Bear

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
I never liked the Home versions of Windows. They lack Software Restriction Policy. (Extremely useful for preventing malware, as it allows you to have a whitelist of what can/cannot run.)

Why can't they release the "Pro-sumer Family Pack" with three Window 7 Professional licenses?

DaddyW123

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
[citation][nom]Deadstick50[/nom]Yeah, but its the upgrade version, what about us XP users??....cant run an upgrade to 7 from XP![/citation]
I don't know if this trick still works, but it did on Vista... Just use your Windows 7 upgrade CD to install a fresh copy of windows (format HD) without entering the keycode and uncheck "auto-activate". Then install Windows 7 again over Windows 7 as an "Upgrade" this time with the keycode.

G

The Family Upgrade Pack was $199 in Canada, not $149 (which is American).
Yes it works on WinXP.
The OS is Windows 7 Home Premium which is all anyone needs.
But the "upgrade" installation is short-sighted, because sooner or later you will wish to reinstall the OS (maybe a coupla years from now) and then you will have problems.
You can always increase your installed Win7 OS to any version, from within Win7.
Regards

gsacks

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
The family pack is a really good deal if you actually have 3 computers that aren't already running Win7 and have the horsepower to take advantage of it. I would have bought it if I didn't already have a MSDN license.

theoutbound

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
It's about time they brought this back. Although I call shenanigans on the "while supplies last" part. Do they actually expect us to believe they have a limited number of licenses for Windows 7? This should simply be made a permanent deal for people who want to license multiple machines.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
Are people still complaining that their hardware cannot handle windows 7? A P4 can do it just fine. I have a dual core 1.3 Ghz laptop that is awesome with 7...

triculious

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
at this price point why don't they just make individual licenses go for 50 (ok, 49.99) bucks apiece?

this seems to be one of those too-good-to-be-true deals... the price is even cheaper than oem licenses

godwhomismike

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]DaddyW123[/nom]I don't know if this trick still works, but it did on Vista... Just use your Windows 7 upgrade CD to install a fresh copy of windows (format HD) without entering the keycode and uncheck "auto-activate". Then install Windows 7 again over Windows 7 as an "Upgrade" this time with the keycode.[/citation]

I tried to install my "upgrade" Win 7 license on a new hard drive, after the old drive it was on burnt out. Windows 7 would not take the license and flagged it as a clean install. I contacted Microsoft, and after one hour on the phone with them, they refused to allow me to use the license, and one rep hung up on me. Horrible service. Save yourself the aggravation, don't use the upgrade license to do a clean install. Microsoft's license activation reps refused to help me get my old license to work on the new hard drive.

godwhomismike

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]triculious[/nom]at this price point why don't they just make individual licenses go for 50 (ok, 49.99) bucks apiece?this seems to be one of those too-good-to-be-true deals... the price is even cheaper than oem licenses[/citation]

Because the upgrade license is completely useless if you do a clean install and try to use it.

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]godwhomismike[/nom]Because the upgrade license is completely useless if you do a clean install and try to use it.[/citation]
You sure about that? Other windows upgrades only wanted you to provide the cd from the old os to verify licensing. Admittedly, I haven't done an "upgrade" install of windows since the miserable failures of win31-win95.

Status
Not open for further replies.