GDI+ & ActiveX Downloaded Programs Files

Hello,

I am using XP SP2 and Office 2003. I downloaded and installed the Microsoft
GDI+ Detection Tool (KB873374) update from Windows Update. But my question
is then it a web site pops up:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/bulletins/200409_jpeg_tool.mspx

On this web site it has button that says, "Check for Affected Imaging
Software" and above this button it says, "To scan your hard disk for software
that needs updating, click the button." Above this it says, "Step 2 (For
Users of Windows Versions Other Than Windows XP or Windows Server 2003):
Update Imaging Software." This installs an ActiveX control in the
Downloaded Programs Files folder called "GDI+." I am confused to why there
is this update and also the one I have already installed from Windows Update
(that I mentioned above.) If I have Office 2003 do I need this ActiveX
control since I have Windows software other than XP SP2? Someone please tell
me EXACTLY who should click this button and install this GDI+ ActiveX
control. Thank you!!

Curt Mueller

From your link...

[[Important ... If you use Windows XP SP2 and Microsoft Office, please visit
the Office Update Web site to scan your computer for needed updates.]]
http://office.microsoft.com/officeupdate/

Go to Office Update (the link above) and run the scan to see what you need
for Office 2003

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:1E9E93AB-7F51-4AFA-A151-9C7329C3C7B3@microsoft.com,
Curt Mueller <CurtMueller@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hello,
>
> I am using XP SP2 and Office 2003. I downloaded and installed the
> Microsoft GDI+ Detection Tool (KB873374) update from Windows Update.
> But my question is then it a web site pops up:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/bulletins/200409_jpeg_tool.mspx
>
> On this web site it has button that says, "Check for Affected Imaging
> Software" and above this button it says, "To scan your hard disk for
> software that needs updating, click the button." Above this it says,
> "Step 2 (For Users of Windows Versions Other Than Windows XP or
> Windows Server 2003): Update Imaging Software." This installs an
> ActiveX control in the Downloaded Programs Files folder called
> "GDI+." I am confused to why there is this update and also the one I
> have already installed from Windows Update (that I mentioned above.)
> If I have Office 2003 do I need this ActiveX control since I have
> Windows software other than XP SP2? Someone please tell me EXACTLY
> who should click this button and install this GDI+ ActiveX control.
> Thank you!!
>
> Curt Mueller

I already went to Office Update I just want to know what confuguration a
person's PC has to be (like XP SP2 with Office 2003 or XP SP2 with Office XP
ect.) to warrant the installation of the GDI+ ActiveX control. If I already
have the Windows Update GDI+ update installed, use Windows AND Office Update
then what's this web site below for (like why would I need to install the
GDI+ ActiveX control??)

http://www.microsoft.com/security/bulletins/200409_jpeg_tool.mspx

I am not finding any good answers to what this GDI+ ActiveX control is for.

GDIChk Object, the ActiveX Control...[[This tool is designed for computers
running Windows 2000 and earlier. Windows XP, Windows XP SP1, and Windows
Server 2003 users may update their computers by visiting the Windows Update
Web site.]]

You do not need to download the ActiveX Control.
I downloaded it just to see.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes