Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Foxeye, I see that...

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 8:53:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

Hi :) 

I see the new group has been created - I was checking for new groups,
and lo and behold, alt.games.everquest2 is now up and running. Didn't
take long, eh?



Palindrome

More about : foxeye

Anonymous
November 30, 2004 8:53:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 17:53:37 +0000, Palindrome
<damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi :) 
>
>I see the new group has been created - I was checking for new groups,
>and lo and behold, alt.games.everquest2 is now up and running. Didn't
>take long, eh?

As I recall, someone hijacked the name when she posted to alt.config
about it and wrote up the info with blatant jabs at her. That
incarnation may not get propagated too well because of the obvious
jabs.

--
Dark Tyger

Sympathy for the retailer:
http://www.actsofgord.com/index.html
"Door's to your left" -Gord
(I have no association with this site. Just thought it was funny as hell)

Protect free speech: http://stopfcc.com/
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 8:53:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

Palindrome <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>I see the new group has been created - I was checking for new groups,
>and lo and behold, alt.games.everquest2 is now up and running. Didn't
>take long, eh?

Unfortunately, the new group is already nerfed. Some vandal sent a fake
creation message before it was discussed or refined, so it has no charter, a
pointless description line, and a lot of news servers won't carry it.

Unfortunately, it's going to make it hard to make a real group with that name,
when the time comes.
--
Mark Rafn dagon@dagon.net <http://www.dagon.net/&gt;
Related resources
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 8:53:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 12:13:54 -0800, Dark Tyger wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 17:53:37 +0000, Palindrome
> <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Hi :) 
>>
>>I see the new group has been created - I was checking for new groups,
>>and lo and behold, alt.games.everquest2 is now up and running. Didn't
>>take long, eh?
>
> As I recall, someone hijacked the name when she posted to alt.config
> about it and wrote up the info with blatant jabs at her. That
> incarnation may not get propagated too well because of the obvious
> jabs.

Well individual.net isn't carrying it yet. I *still* can't figure out how
people get off doing stuff like that.
--
RJB
11/30/2004 3:41:55 PM

While we may not be able to control all that happens to us, we can control
what happens inside us.
--Benjamin Franklin
Anonymous
December 1, 2004 1:33:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Palindrome wrote:

> Hi :) 
>
> I see the new group has been created - I was checking for new groups,
> and lo and behold, alt.games.everquest2 is now up and running. Didn't
> take long, eh?

Other folks already replied, but basically, yeah, it was stolen out from
under me. :(  I sent a booster cmsg in hopes that I could give it a "real"
charter, but I don't expect much success from that.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Jerelyn Foxeye -- http://www.foxeye-art.com

On Antonia Bayle (EQ):
[18 Iksar Cleric] Viizanafyaeth
[6 High Elf Fighter] Foxeye

On Order (Horizons):
[10 Monk/Druid Saris] Foxeye
Anonymous
December 1, 2004 2:52:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 12:58:20 -0800 in
<cg3v72-duu.ln1@hydra.dagon.net>, dagon@dagon.net (Mark Rafn) graced
the world with this thought:

>Palindrome <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>>I see the new group has been created - I was checking for new groups,
>>and lo and behold, alt.games.everquest2 is now up and running. Didn't
>>take long, eh?
>
>Unfortunately, the new group is already nerfed. Some vandal sent a fake
>creation message before it was discussed or refined, so it has no charter, a
>pointless description line, and a lot of news servers won't carry it.
>
uhhh... <this> newsgroup doesn't have a charter...

>Unfortunately, it's going to make it hard to make a real group with that name,
>when the time comes.

Then why not use that one?
Anonymous
December 1, 2004 2:52:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

bizbee wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 12:58:20 -0800 in
> <cg3v72-duu.ln1@hydra.dagon.net>, dagon@dagon.net (Mark Rafn) graced
> the world with this thought:
>
>
>>Palindrome <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>I see the new group has been created - I was checking for new groups,
>>>and lo and behold, alt.games.everquest2 is now up and running. Didn't
>>>take long, eh?
>>
>>Unfortunately, the new group is already nerfed. Some vandal sent a fake
>>creation message before it was discussed or refined, so it has no charter, a
>>pointless description line, and a lot of news servers won't carry it.
>>
>
> uhhh... <this> newsgroup doesn't have a charter...
>
>
>>Unfortunately, it's going to make it hard to make a real group with that name,
>>when the time comes.
>
>
> Then why not use that one?

Because of the other lines in the newsgroup setup, about it being a
vanity group and so on, its likely that a lot of newsgroup servers won't
carry it. While its also likely that you can send a message to your
newgroup server's administration and request it, most usenet readers
won't even know it exists, and if they do, how many will actually bother
to make that request?

IT could work, if we make a concerted effort here, that every time
someone posts an EQ2 question or comment, they get jumped on and
informed about the EQ2 newsgroup, sort of like what happens now every
time anyone top posts.

Trouble is, there's a lot less consensus here about the desirability of
that newsgroup; many, myself included, would rather keep both EQ1 and
EQ2 in this single newsgroup, and just see people include the name of
the game in their message header. So you'd probably see a lot of
counter arguement if you really pushed the new newsgroup. (by "a lot" I
mean far more than the people who attempt to defend top posting)

On the other hand, it would be fun to see whoever tried to grief poor
Foxeye by doing this get his comeuppance by having the new newsgroup
actually become popular.
Anonymous
December 1, 2004 2:52:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 08:44:05 -0500, Lance Berg wrote:

> IT could work, if we make a concerted effort here, that every time
> someone posts an EQ2 question or comment, they get jumped on and
> informed about the EQ2 newsgroup, sort of like what happens now every
> time anyone top posts.

But what if it doesn't propagate because of the vanity message? It's one of
those 'vicious circles'. You want to retake the group but can't if it isn't
available.
--
RJB
12/1/2004 8:57:21 AM

I was so poor growing up ... if I wasn't a boy ...I'd have nothing to play
with.
--Rodney Dangerfield
Anonymous
December 1, 2004 5:38:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 12:13:54 -0800, Dark Tyger
<darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 17:53:37 +0000, Palindrome
><damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Hi :) 
>>
>>I see the new group has been created - I was checking for new groups,
>>and lo and behold, alt.games.everquest2 is now up and running. Didn't
>>take long, eh?
>
>As I recall, someone hijacked the name when she posted to alt.config
>about it and wrote up the info with blatant jabs at her.

Yes, utterly pitiful of them.

>That incarnation may not get propagated too well because of the obvious
>jabs.

Well, maybe as someone else mentioned, they don't look that closely
any more when new groups get set up. With the tens of thousands in
existence now, and so many of THOSE being a bit weird, they just send
'em on through, heh. Still, you could be right.


Palindrome
Anonymous
December 1, 2004 5:40:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 12:58:20 -0800, dagon@dagon.net (Mark Rafn) wrote:

>Palindrome <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>>I see the new group has been created - I was checking for new groups,
>>and lo and behold, alt.games.everquest2 is now up and running. Didn't
>>take long, eh?

>Unfortunately, the new group is already nerfed. Some vandal sent a fake
>creation message before it was discussed or refined, so it has no charter, a
>pointless description line, and a lot of news servers won't carry it.

Hmmm, I think with all the weird groups out there, this one won't have
too many problems.

>Unfortunately, it's going to make it hard to make a real group with that name,
>when the time comes.

Well, it's there NOW, and it can be posted to - seems real enough in
practice, so post away :) 


Palindrome
Anonymous
December 1, 2004 5:40:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

>
>>Palindrome <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>>>I see the new group has been created - I was checking for new groups,
>>>and lo and behold, alt.games.everquest2 is now up and running. Didn't
>>>take long, eh?

>On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 12:58:20 -0800, dagon@dagon.net (Mark Rafn) wrote:
>>Unfortunately, the new group is already nerfed. Some vandal sent a fake
>>creation message before it was discussed or refined, so it has no charter, a
>>pointless description line, and a lot of news servers won't carry it.

Palindrome <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>Well, it's there NOW, and it can be posted to - seems real enough in
>practice, so post away :) 

Sure, but don't expect much propigation of whatever you post. Even if it's on
your server and mine, I won't see your messages nor you mine unless the
servers between us also have the group.

It's been added to my feed, because my upstream news provider basically adds
anything that comes across - it's cheaper in terms of customer complaints
to add a bogus group than to miss a valid one or spend any employee time
tracking down the difference. However, I have seen zero messages, not even
spam.

One thing people CAN do, if they want the group to actually succeed: if your
ISP/usenet provider does not have alt.games.everquest2 and you want it, ask
them to add it. If "enough" servers carry it, it'll start working.
--
Mark Rafn dagon@dagon.net <http://www.dagon.net/&gt;
Anonymous
December 1, 2004 5:42:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 08:58:15 -0500, RJB <robartle@NOSPAM.hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 08:44:05 -0500, Lance Berg wrote:
>
>> IT could work, if we make a concerted effort here, that every time
>> someone posts an EQ2 question or comment, they get jumped on and
>> informed about the EQ2 newsgroup, sort of like what happens now every
>> time anyone top posts.
>
>But what if it doesn't propagate because of the vanity message? It's one of
>those 'vicious circles'. You want to retake the group but can't if it isn't
>available.

Well, it's there on Tiscali, and will spread pretty quickly I would
think. With all the hundreds of wacky and wonderful groups out there,
I don't think anyone will care about the "vanity" thing.

That was a crack made by some moron who just didn't want to see the
group created.


Palindrome
Anonymous
December 1, 2004 5:59:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

bizbee <tuberoo@earthlink.net> wrote in
news:Hfird.8578$NU3.7989@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 12:58:20 -0800 in
> <cg3v72-duu.ln1@hydra.dagon.net>, dagon@dagon.net (Mark Rafn) graced
> the world with this thought:
>
>>Palindrome <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>>>I see the new group has been created - I was checking for new groups,
>>>and lo and behold, alt.games.everquest2 is now up and running. Didn't
>>>take long, eh?
>>
>>Unfortunately, the new group is already nerfed. Some vandal sent a
>>fake creation message before it was discussed or refined, so it has no
>>charter, a pointless description line, and a lot of news servers won't
>>carry it.
>>
> uhhh... <this> newsgroup doesn't have a charter...
>
>>Unfortunately, it's going to make it hard to make a real group with
>>that name, when the time comes.
>
> Then why not use that one?
>

Because it is likely not going to get well propogated. Time will tell.
For now, my news server does not carry it.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>
Ancient Graeme Faelban, Barbarian Prophet of 69 seasons

On Steamfont in <Bane of Evil>
Graeme, 15 Dwarven Shaman, 13 Scholar
Anonymous
December 1, 2004 6:17:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

RJB wrote:

> On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 08:44:05 -0500, Lance Berg wrote:
>
>
>>IT could work, if we make a concerted effort here, that every time
>>someone posts an EQ2 question or comment, they get jumped on and
>>informed about the EQ2 newsgroup, sort of like what happens now every
>>time anyone top posts.
>
>
> But what if it doesn't propagate because of the vanity message? It's one of
> those 'vicious circles'. You want to retake the group but can't if it isn't
> available.

I think most news servers will carry a group if they get requests for it
(especially if it has no binaries); the point I was making was that
people would naturally come here because they don't see see the EQ2
group, and we'd then "intervene" by suggesting they ask their news
providers to carry the EQ2 group.

If I'm wrong about how easy it is to get servers to carry a group, then
that won't work.

Lance
Anonymous
December 2, 2004 12:47:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

Lance Berg <emporer@dejazzd.com> wrote in
news:YNGdnagtcrFUuzPcRVn-hg@dejazzd.com:

>
>
> RJB wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 08:44:05 -0500, Lance Berg wrote:
>>
>>
>>>IT could work, if we make a concerted effort here, that every time
>>>someone posts an EQ2 question or comment, they get jumped on and
>>>informed about the EQ2 newsgroup, sort of like what happens now every
>>>time anyone top posts.
>>
>>
>> But what if it doesn't propagate because of the vanity message? It's
>> one of those 'vicious circles'. You want to retake the group but
>> can't if it isn't available.
>
> I think most news servers will carry a group if they get requests for
> it (especially if it has no binaries); the point I was making was that
> people would naturally come here because they don't see see the EQ2
> group, and we'd then "intervene" by suggesting they ask their news
> providers to carry the EQ2 group.
>
> If I'm wrong about how easy it is to get servers to carry a group,
> then that won't work.

Unfortunately, in my you are. My ISP flatly refuses to add a new group to
their news server until they have had x-number of requests for it. I really
don't get it. I can find thousands of groups they host that are all but
empty, but ask them for one that's somewhat popular and nooOOOOOoooo.

--
Rumble

"The floggings will continue until morale improves."
-- Blackbeard
Anonymous
December 2, 2004 12:51:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 21:47:49 GMT, Rumbledor
<Rumbledor@HotRemoveThisPartMail.com> wrote:

>Unfortunately, in my you are. My ISP flatly refuses to add a new group to
>their news server until they have had x-number of requests for it. I really
>don't get it. I can find thousands of groups they host that are all but
>empty, but ask them for one that's somewhat popular and nooOOOOOoooo.
Crazy, isn't it!


Palindrome
!