Since SP2 on XP Pro. Free but very annoying!

October 16, 2004 12:08:37 AM

Desktop icons taking ages to respond, up to a minute to open IExplorer and
OExpress!

Log on hang ups...including blank screens requiring log on again.

Log off hang ups...hours on end, even over night.

Query safe to uninstall SP2 until patches are pushed out?

If so, any particular cautions I should take account of, please?

More about : sp2 pro free annoying

Anonymous
October 16, 2004 2:00:46 PM

How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875355&p...
How to use the Automatic Recovery feature to recover your computer if the Windows XP
Service Pack 2 Setup program is not completed successfully

Service Pack 2 information
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm

List of fixes included in Windows XP Service Pack 2:

WinXP SP2: What's New for Internet Explorer and Outlook Express
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/ieoeoverview.msp...

Application Compatibility Testing and Mitigation Guide for Windows XP Service Pack 2

How to successfully install Windows XP Service Pack 2.
http://www.fixyourwindows.com/winxpsp2install.htm

Are You Ready for WinXP SP2?
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=windowsxps...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.m...
What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2

http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=7447
Specific Issue - Prescott Processors and XP-SP2

"Mr Moneypenny" <pink-panther@spottyntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Desktop icons taking ages to respond, up to a minute to open IExplorer and
> OExpress!
>
> Log on hang ups...including blank screens requiring log on again.
>
> Log off hang ups...hours on end, even over night.
>
> Query safe to uninstall SP2 until patches are pushed out?
>
> If so, any particular cautions I should take account of, please?

Anonymous
October 16, 2004 4:06:01 PM

Thanks TC

Pretty comprehensive list, perhaps I am being over critical and should eat
my words. I would merely observe that if difficulties were not a general
complaint then such number of articles would not have been induced.

I will very happily plough my way through all BEFORE I try to remove
anything!

Thanks again.

PP

"Taurarian Constellation" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875355&p...
> How to use the Automatic Recovery feature to recover your computer if the
> Windows XP Service Pack 2 Setup program is not completed successfully
>

> Service Pack 2 information
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm
>
> List of fixes included in Windows XP Service Pack 2:
>
> WinXP SP2: What's New for Internet Explorer and Outlook Express
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/ieoeoverview.msp...
>

> Application Compatibility Testing and Mitigation Guide for Windows XP
> Service Pack 2
>
> How to successfully install Windows XP Service Pack 2.
> http://www.fixyourwindows.com/winxpsp2install.htm
>
> Are You Ready for WinXP SP2?
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=windowsxps...
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.m...
> What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2
>
> http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=7447
> Specific Issue - Prescott Processors and XP-SP2
>

> "Mr Moneypenny" <pink-panther@spottyntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> Desktop icons taking ages to respond, up to a minute to open IExplorer
>> and OExpress!
>>
>> Log on hang ups...including blank screens requiring log on again.
>>
>> Log off hang ups...hours on end, even over night.
>>
>> Query safe to uninstall SP2 until patches are pushed out?
>>
>> If so, any particular cautions I should take account of, please?

October 17, 2004 12:39:08 PM

You must remember that there are literally "hundreds of thousands" of
possible computer configurations, including hardware and software
variations, personal customizations, spyware and virus's etc..

It is always up to the individual to make sure that THEIR computer is
problem free before undergoing such a tremendous change to their operating
system!

This is why I always perform a fresh install of the operating system with
the introduction of a new service pack. It is well worth the time and
effort.

P.S. - I have never had any problems with any service pack for either
Windows 2000 or Windows XP.

--

Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

> Thanks TC
>
> Pretty comprehensive list, perhaps I am being over critical and should eat
> my words. I would merely observe that if difficulties were not a general
> complaint then such number of articles would not have been induced.
>
> I will very happily plough my way through all BEFORE I try to remove
> anything!
>
> Thanks again.
>
> PP
>

> "Taurarian Constellation" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in
> message news:e7yvyMxsEHA.2556@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875355&p...
>> How to use the Automatic Recovery feature to recover your computer if the
>> Windows XP Service Pack 2 Setup program is not completed successfully
>>

>> Service Pack 2 information
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm
>>
>> List of fixes included in Windows XP Service Pack 2:
>>
>> WinXP SP2: What's New for Internet Explorer and Outlook Express
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/ieoeoverview.msp...
>>

>> Application Compatibility Testing and Mitigation Guide for Windows XP
>> Service Pack 2
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...
>>
>> How to successfully install Windows XP Service Pack 2.
>> http://www.fixyourwindows.com/winxpsp2install.htm
>>
>> Are You Ready for WinXP SP2?
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=windowsxps...
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.m...
>> What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2
>>
>> http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=7447
>> Specific Issue - Prescott Processors and XP-SP2
>>

>> "Mr Moneypenny" <pink-panther@spottyntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>> Desktop icons taking ages to respond, up to a minute to open IExplorer
>>> and OExpress!
>>>
>>> Log on hang ups...including blank screens requiring log on again.
>>>
>>> Log off hang ups...hours on end, even over night.
>>>
>>> Query safe to uninstall SP2 until patches are pushed out?
>>>
>>> If so, any particular cautions I should take account of, please?

Anonymous
October 17, 2004 8:08:58 PM

Richard

Complete re install?

I can see where you come from but MS, as far as I can see so far, do not
actually advocate such a step and logic says that really shouldn't be
necessary surely, simply because of the 'hundreds of thousands' that you
mention.

How I wish I knew more!

So, how complete are you suggesting?

Regards

PP

> You must remember that there are literally "hundreds of thousands" of
> possible computer configurations, including hardware and software
> variations, personal customizations, spyware and virus's etc..
>
> It is always up to the individual to make sure that THEIR computer is
> problem free before undergoing such a tremendous change to their operating
> system!
>
> This is why I always perform a fresh install of the operating system with
> the introduction of a new service pack. It is well worth the time and
> effort.
>
> P.S. - I have never had any problems with any service pack for either
> Windows 2000 or Windows XP.
>
> --
>
> Regards:
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
>

> "Mr Moneypenny" <pink-panther@spottyntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks TC
>>
>> Pretty comprehensive list, perhaps I am being over critical and should
>> eat my words. I would merely observe that if difficulties were not a
>> general complaint then such number of articles would not have been
>> induced.
>>
>> I will very happily plough my way through all BEFORE I try to remove
>> anything!
>>
>> Thanks again.
>>
>> PP
>>

>> "Taurarian Constellation" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in
>> message news:e7yvyMxsEHA.2556@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875350
>>> How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer
>>>
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875355&p...
>>> How to use the Automatic Recovery feature to recover your computer if
>>> the Windows XP Service Pack 2 Setup program is not completed
>>> successfully
>>>

>>> Service Pack 2 information
>>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm
>>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm
>>>
>>> List of fixes included in Windows XP Service Pack 2:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=811113
>>>
>>> WinXP SP2: What's New for Internet Explorer and Outlook Express
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/ieoeoverview.msp...
>>>

>>> Application Compatibility Testing and Mitigation Guide for Windows XP
>>> Service Pack 2
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...
>>>
>>> How to successfully install Windows XP Service Pack 2.
>>> http://www.fixyourwindows.com/winxpsp2install.htm
>>>
>>> Are You Ready for WinXP SP2?
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=windowsxps...
>>>
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.m...
>>> What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2
>>>
>>> http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=7447
>>> Specific Issue - Prescott Processors and XP-SP2
>>>

>>> "Mr Moneypenny" <pink-panther@spottyntlworld.com> wrote in message

October 17, 2004 8:08:59 PM

In support of what Richard had to say, I attempted to use the WU for SP2 and
also the "network install" of it by simply installing over the existing
system. I experienced problems after the installations. I then clean
installed XP and SP2 before connecting to the internet or installing any
applications. It works flawlessly.

SP2 is a major change to the operating system. There may be installed
applications or spyware that would interfere with the changes to the system
that SP2 creates. There are so many different possible combinations of
computer setups that it would be impossible to say what combination will
cause problems and which will not.

If the update route works for you, well and fine. If it does not, you may
need to take the route Richard and I recommend. At any rate, make sure you
have backed up any important files you may have, before you install SP2!

LOL, JAX

> Richard
>
> Complete re install?
>
> I can see where you come from but MS, as far as I can see so far, do not
> actually advocate such a step and logic says that really shouldn't be
> necessary surely, simply because of the 'hundreds of thousands' that you
> mention.
>
> How I wish I knew more!
>
> So, how complete are you suggesting?
>
> Regards
>
> PP

>> You must remember that there are literally "hundreds of thousands" of
>> possible computer configurations, including hardware and software
>> variations, personal customizations, spyware and virus's etc..
>>
>> It is always up to the individual to make sure that THEIR computer is
>> problem free before undergoing such a tremendous change to their
>> operating system!
>>
>> This is why I always perform a fresh install of the operating system with
>> the introduction of a new service pack. It is well worth the time and
>> effort.
>>
>> P.S. - I have never had any problems with any service pack for either
>> Windows 2000 or Windows XP.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Regards:
>>
>> Richard Urban
>>
>> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
>>

>> "Mr Moneypenny" <pink-panther@spottyntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>> Thanks TC
>>>
>>> Pretty comprehensive list, perhaps I am being over critical and should
>>> eat my words. I would merely observe that if difficulties were not a
>>> general complaint then such number of articles would not have been
>>> induced.
>>>
>>> I will very happily plough my way through all BEFORE I try to remove
>>> anything!
>>>
>>> Thanks again.
>>>
>>> PP
>>>

>>> "Taurarian Constellation" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in
>>> message news:e7yvyMxsEHA.2556@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

Anonymous
October 18, 2004 12:03:58 AM

Hi "JAX"

OK. I'm sold.

Problem being that I have little experience and certainly no 'gung ho',
let's get on with it.

I really need pretty comprehensive guidance on what to do, starting with
'Boot up your computer' if you get my gist.

Do you know of a good source for such help?

Regards

PP

"JAX" <slipslide@pop.not> wrote in message
news:o gqSmNGtEHA.2664@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> In support of what Richard had to say, I attempted to use the WU for SP2
> and also the "network install" of it by simply installing over the
> existing system. I experienced problems after the installations. I then
> clean installed XP and SP2 before connecting to the internet or installing
> any applications. It works flawlessly.
>
> SP2 is a major change to the operating system. There may be installed
> applications or spyware that would interfere with the changes to the
> system that SP2 creates. There are so many different possible combinations
> of computer setups that it would be impossible to say what combination
> will cause problems and which will not.
>
> If the update route works for you, well and fine. If it does not, you may
> need to take the route Richard and I recommend. At any rate, make sure you
> have backed up any important files you may have, before you install SP2!
>
> LOL, JAX
>
> "Mr Moneypenny" <pink-panther@spottyntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> Richard
>>
>> Complete re install?
>>
>> I can see where you come from but MS, as far as I can see so far, do not
>> actually advocate such a step and logic says that really shouldn't be
>> necessary surely, simply because of the 'hundreds of thousands' that you
>> mention.
>>
>> How I wish I knew more!
>>
>> So, how complete are you suggesting?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> PP
>>
>> "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> You must remember that there are literally "hundreds of thousands" of
>>> possible computer configurations, including hardware and software
>>> variations, personal customizations, spyware and virus's etc..
>>>
>>> It is always up to the individual to make sure that THEIR computer is
>>> problem free before undergoing such a tremendous change to their
>>> operating system!
>>>
>>> This is why I always perform a fresh install of the operating system
>>> with the introduction of a new service pack. It is well worth the time
>>> and effort.
>>>
>>> P.S. - I have never had any problems with any service pack for either
>>> Windows 2000 or Windows XP.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Regards:
>>>
>>> Richard Urban
>>>
>>> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
>>>

>>> "Mr Moneypenny" <pink-panther@spottyntlworld.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
October 18, 2004 12:03:59 AM

To do a "clean" install you need an actual Windows XP CD, either O.E.M. (if
it came with your computer) or a retail version. Most disks that come with
manufactured computers are recovery disks, if you get a disk at all. They
return your computer to the way it was when you purchased it, and you lose
everything on the partition - to boot! But, it is better than nothing.

Get back to us and let us know which type you have. We will go from there!

--

Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

> Hi "JAX"
>
> OK. I'm sold.
>
> Problem being that I have little experience and certainly no 'gung ho',
> let's get on with it.
>
> I really need pretty comprehensive guidance on what to do, starting with
> 'Boot up your computer' if you get my gist.
>
> Do you know of a good source for such help?
>
> Regards
>
> PP
>
> "JAX" <slipslide@pop.not> wrote in message
> news:o gqSmNGtEHA.2664@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> In support of what Richard had to say, I attempted to use the WU for SP2
>> and also the "network install" of it by simply installing over the
>> existing system. I experienced problems after the installations. I then
>> clean installed XP and SP2 before connecting to the internet or
>> installing any applications. It works flawlessly.
>>
>> SP2 is a major change to the operating system. There may be installed
>> applications or spyware that would interfere with the changes to the
>> system that SP2 creates. There are so many different possible
>> combinations of computer setups that it would be impossible to say what
>> combination will cause problems and which will not.
>>
>> If the update route works for you, well and fine. If it does not, you may
>> need to take the route Richard and I recommend. At any rate, make sure
>> you have backed up any important files you may have, before you install
>> SP2!
>>
>> LOL, JAX
>>
>> "Mr Moneypenny" <pink-panther@spottyntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>> Richard
>>>
>>> Complete re install?
>>>
>>> I can see where you come from but MS, as far as I can see so far, do not
>>> actually advocate such a step and logic says that really shouldn't be
>>> necessary surely, simply because of the 'hundreds of thousands' that you
>>> mention.
>>>
>>> How I wish I knew more!
>>>
>>> So, how complete are you suggesting?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> PP
>>>
>>> "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
October 18, 2004 4:42:21 PM

Hello Richard

I have a DELL laptop which came, of course, preloaded. The provided DELL
'operating system' disk is clearly marked
'Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Professional including Service Pack
1'

Thinking in advance of what your guidance might be I should, perhaps, say
that

1] The hard disc was partitioned into 3 though I have never used the other 2
and am not concerned to lose them.
2] I am comfortable about backing up important data.
3] I have no idea about the method of saving quite a number of important
emails as well as the various email addresses.
4] I have Norton AntiVirus2004/ZoneAlarm/InternetDownloadManager/WordWebPro
by subscription, presumably I will have to alert them that I should like to
d/l those features again, unless there is a means of copying those to a
disk?
5] To emphasise a previous remark I guess the coment 4] identifies me as a
novice, an aged one as it happens, so this is all very scary, if exciting,
for me!
6] Consequently, anything I do will be at snails pace!

Thanks very much for introducing yourself.

Regards

PP

!