I go to enter Oakmyst Forest, and I am given two choices: Oakmyst Forest 2
and Oakmyst Forest 3. Which do I choose? Does it matter? Does 2 have more
players than 4, or vice versa?

Thanks in advance.

David

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 17:49:37 GMT, David S. wrote:

> I go to enter Oakmyst Forest, and I am given two choices: Oakmyst Forest 2
> and Oakmyst Forest 3. Which do I choose? Does it matter? Does 2 have more
> players than 4, or vice versa?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> David

It doesn't matter unless you're in a group then everyone must choose the
same instance. Unfortunately there is no way to know the population of an
instance before actually going in and doing a /who.
--
RJB
11/30/2004 12:54:37 PM

"Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never
try."
- Homer Simpson

"David S." <davids@nicetryspammers.com> wrote in message

>I go to enter Oakmyst Forest, and I am given two choices: Oakmyst Forest 2
> and Oakmyst Forest 3. Which do I choose? Does it matter? Does 2 have
> more
> players than 4, or vice versa?

Those are the "instances" you may have heard about here in discussions about
instancing. Multiple copies of the same exact zone are made so that when it
gets too crowded, players can start a new instance. It doesn't matter which
one you're in unless you're with a group in which case you'll all want to be
in the same zone.

--
Redbeard
<Veritas>

Descendant of the Elder Winterfury Thunderwolf
<Resolution, Retired>
Barbarian Prophet of The Tribunal
Retired Citizen of Firiona Vie

"David S." <davids@nicetryspammers.com> wrote in message
> I go to enter Oakmyst Forest, and I am given two choices: Oakmyst Forest 2
> and Oakmyst Forest 3. Which do I choose? Does it matter? Does 2 have more
> players than 4, or vice versa?
>
> Thanks in advance.

They are all copies of the same zone. Whenever there are too many players in
the existing copies of the zone, a new copy will be created that people can
now enter. Similarly, if the zone population drops too much, the instance
will stop accepting new players, at which point it will die when the last one
there leaves. If the amount of players starts to recover in the active
versions of the zone, the one that was closing due to lack of players will be
reopened.

Because there is no way to tell how long an instance has been opened, or how
many have come and gone since it started, any of them may be the "least
crowded" version. Only way to tell is to zone in, do /who and if it is too
crowded try another copy of the zone. (zone out and come back selecting a
different number.)

--
Davian - Wood Elf Warrior on Guk
Talynne - Half Elf Rogue on Guk

This 'instancing technology' was designed for good intentions, but it kinda
defeats the ideology of MMORPGs, i mean why cant they just make a Single Player
version with Internet Play option instead?

To quote myself as Uber said brilliantly before:

"Instanced zone technology removes the feeling of belonging to a world with
evolving characteristics that are out of your control" - Uber Nuker

Uber Nuker

"The Uber Nuker" <faultytowers@powers.com> wrote in message news:<coj2u6$feq$1@services.kq.no>...
> This 'instancing technology' was designed for good intentions, but it kinda
> defeats the ideology of MMORPGs, i mean why cant they just make a Single
> Player version with Internet Play option instead?
>
> To quote myself as Uber said brilliantly before:
>
> "Instanced zone technology removes the feeling of belonging to a world with
> evolving characteristics that are out of your control" - Uber Nuker
>
> Uber Nuker

I you ask me the illusion is broken the minute you step into a zone. I
mean when's the last time you went in to a forest and saw 30 odd
people running around killing things only for them to magically
reappear?

Instancing done well helps the feel you are in a world. I.e. you are
given a quest and only you (and your party) are in the zone and have
to complete it. The story can then unfold how it should.

Patrik

"The Uber Nuker" <faultytowers@powers.com> writes:

> This 'instancing technology' was designed for good intentions, but
> it kinda defeats the ideology of MMORPGs, i mean why cant they just
> make a Single Player version with Internet Play option instead?

I don't know, maybe because each instance of Antonica or Commonlands
has, on average, a few hundred players? Kind of hard to get in a
single player game, don't you think? There are a few group-instanced
zones, but most instanced zones in EQ2 are instanced to solve the
problem of overpopulation, not to remove interaction with others.

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 01:27:37 +0100, "The Uber Nuker"
<faultytowers@powers.com> wrotC:DRIVE_E

>This 'instancing technology' was designed for good intentions, but it kinda
>defeats the ideology of MMORPGs, i mean why cant they just make a Single Player
>version with Internet Play option instead?
>
>To quote myself as Uber said brilliantly before:
>
>"Instanced zone technology removes the feeling of belonging to a world with
>evolving characteristics that are out of your control" - Uber Nuker

Well, there's two kind of instances in EQ2.

There's the "public" instances, which control overpopulation and lag,
and the "private" instances where you and your group get a little
dungeon all to yourselves. The first obviously is no more immersion
destroying than any kind of zoning....as for the second, well, I find
"Ah! Here we are at the Secret Crypt buried beneath the Lost Fortress
in the Hidden Valley behind the Forbidden Mountains! Let's get in line
behind those 200 people to wait for the Overlord Of The Mysterious
Depths to spawn, so we can kill him! Our group will be about...tenth
in line, it looks like" to be much more immersion destroying than
instanced zones.
Evolution doesn't take prisoners:Lizard
"I've heard of this thing men call 'empathy', but I've never
once been afflicted with it, thanks the Gods." Bruno The Bandit
http://www.mrlizard.com

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 10:07:19 -0500, Lizard wrote:

>Well, there's two kind of instances in EQ2.
>
>There's the "public" instances, which control overpopulation and lag,
>and the "private" instances where you and your group get a little
>dungeon all to yourselves. The first obviously is no more immersion
>destroying than any kind of zoning....as for the second, well, I find
>"Ah! Here we are at the Secret Crypt buried beneath the Lost Fortress
>in the Hidden Valley behind the Forbidden Mountains! Let's get in line
>behind those 200 people to wait for the Overlord Of The Mysterious
>Depths to spawn, so we can kill him! Our group will be about...tenth
>in line, it looks like" to be much more immersion destroying than
>instanced zones.

The only true solution to Uber Nuker's "problem" would be for the world to
be big enough and have enough unique quests to allow everybody to do
something interesting all the time. In other words, once the Overlord Of The
Mysterious Depths had died, he was gone and the story evolved from there.

Somehow I fear that the monthly fee would go through the roof if SoE hired a
designer team up to the task :)
--
Henrik Dissing
Vorg - Dwarf Warrior on Highkeep

(e-mail: hendis AT post DOT tele DOT dk)