System hangs after long idle.

G

I just put together a system running Win98-SE on a Soltek 75KIV mb with Athlon 900MHz. After long idle times (greater than a hour), the system will lock up. I've experimented with the screen saver and power saving settings and can't seem to shake this problem. I'm running the latest bios and VIA drivers. Please help!!

system:
Soltek 75KIV (KT133A chipset) uATX mb
Athlon 900MHz
256M Crucial CL2
on board sound
GeForce 2 MX 32M AGP
15G Maxtor hdd
LiteOn 16x CD-RW
D-Link wireless nic

Sounds like a heat issue. You should have at least 1 case fan; 2 is better. I recommend changing the power supply to an amd recommended one with dual fans. This will help keep your case cooler, and give you some reserve in case you want to upgrade or overclock.

AMD_cErTiFiEd

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
It is a fairly well known problem with power management. Try dissabling the all power management and just use a screen saver none 3d to see if it shakes the prob

Blame the newbies not the technology

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
go to your bios and disable all the powersaving modes and shutoff capabilities and suspend to ram. also do the same with your windows power settings.

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.

G

Problem solved, I think? Thanks for all the input. Temps are ok... CPU running 39-44C. More experimentation found that turning off PM in the bios and setting the monitor off at 1 hour seems to work. If I change the monitor off setting to 30min then it still locks up. Kinda weird but at least its working reliable right now. (fingers crossed)