Don't want t install auto update and accidentally started ..

M y computer is set to autoupdate with a notify me first option. I've been
refusing it since SP2 came out til I'm sure it's ok (and I'm hearing it's
not). Last night I must have accidentally said yes to the message "updates
are ready for you" because suddenly as I was working along I got a message
which now keeps coming up "updating your computer is almost complete. You
must restart your computer for the updates to take effect. Do you want to
restart your computer now? Then two buttonswith the option to restart my
computer now yor restart it later. Since I don't even know which updates it
downloaded I DON'T WANT TO FINISH THE UPDATEespecially if it contains SP2.
So, I'm leaving it running til I can find out how to stop it. Help! I did
delete all temporary internet files in the hopes that that's where what
they're operating on is stored, but I bet that's not all I need to do. Plus
sometimes if I just pull the battery when an update has been pending because
the computer hung up for some reason or other it doesn't finish the updates,
do I dare try that?
--
Thanks

Hi,

The message means that the updates have completed the download and
installation and a reboot is required to use the updated files.

the only solution to rollback the updates is to use a system restore if you
have one available.

Regards
M. Rajesh
..Net and Windows Shell MVP
www.winxpsolution.com
Windows MarketPlace Moderator

"gaia" wrote:

> M y computer is set to autoupdate with a notify me first option. I've been
> refusing it since SP2 came out til I'm sure it's ok (and I'm hearing it's
> not). Last night I must have accidentally said yes to the message "updates
> are ready for you" because suddenly as I was working along I got a message
> which now keeps coming up "updating your computer is almost complete. You
> must restart your computer for the updates to take effect. Do you want to
> restart your computer now? Then two buttonswith the option to restart my
> computer now yor restart it later. Since I don't even know which updates it
> downloaded I DON'T WANT TO FINISH THE UPDATEespecially if it contains SP2.
> So, I'm leaving it running til I can find out how to stop it. Help! I did
> delete all temporary internet files in the hopes that that's where what
> they're operating on is stored, but I bet that's not all I need to do. Plus
> sometimes if I just pull the battery when an update has been pending because
> the computer hung up for some reason or other it doesn't finish the updates,
> do I dare try that?
> --
> Thanks

rob1951

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
I got the "updating your computer is almost complete" message shortly after I'd visited the site of a web hosting company which I had determined is complicit in spamming (in that they host a busy spammers domains).

Being paranoid - not a bad thing when it comes to viruses (etc) and not having seen this message before, I was concerned as to its origins. I succeeding in killing it temporarily (run the command sc stop wuauserv) and ran a full virus scan.

I guess it probably is legitimate but it does look to me like something the bad guys could emulate and get us to click something we don't want. There's nothing in the dialogue box to identify the origin or to give the user any way of verifying it as genuine MS update.

Isn't it about time MS enrolled for "Computer Security 101"?

TRENDING THREADS