Sign in with
Your question

Steam instalation problem

Last response: in Video Games
October 9, 2011 11:18:04 PM

OK so my e drive died on me today which happens to be where my games and Steam were. I have a tiny bit of space left on my ssd and wanted to re-install Steam on the C drive and re-download 1 game, Crysis 2 so I had something to play while I wait for my pennies to build high enough to buy me a new drive. BUT, Steam won't let me reinstall it as when I launch the set up it gives me this error 1327 invalid e drive. Anyone able to help a bruva out?...
October 9, 2011 11:57:21 PM

Windows still thinks that Steam is installed on your e: drive. Since the drive is dead, you probably will not be able uninstall Steam in any conventional manner. To fix this there are two things you can do. 1. Go into the registry using regedit.exe and remove all the entries for Steam manually. 2. Download CCleaner, and have it scan your registry. Select all the entries related to Steam and have it delete those. After Steam has been removed from the registry, you should be able to install it in another directory.
October 10, 2011 6:37:55 AM

Deleting the info from the registry should fix it:
Please note - Modifying the registry can make things go pear shaped. Make sure that you only delete what is listed below.

1) Go to Start > Run and type in regedit.
2) For 32-bit operating systems:
In the left-hand column of your registry editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Valve\.

Right-click on Valve and select Delete.

For 64-bit operating systems:
In the left-hand column of your registry editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Valve\.

Right-click on Valve and select Delete.
3) In the left-hand column of your registry editor, navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\Steam.
Right-click on Valve select Delete.
4) Close your Registry Editor.
Related resources
October 10, 2011 4:19:37 PM

Dooooodze, you d men!, thank you kindly for your help, and, how the hell do you get to learn these things in the first place!?...
October 10, 2011 8:18:55 PM

Personal experience and a lot of raging :p 
Don't forget to set the question as solved!
!