Max Setting .....Opinion

envymert

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
I've been reading these forums quite a bit lately. Something that has been kind of annoying is people stating that cards such as 560's in SLI and 5870's in Xfire will MAX any current gameat 1920x1080 and they are showing off by posting.

First off as a gamer my sweet spot, due to my HATE for bezels is on a 27inch 1920x1080 monitor currently. I am planning on getting a new 30inch+ dell ultrasharp at some point. That being said, my system looks like this

i2500k Oced to 4.5 watercooled
8gigs Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz
1 SSD
2 Samsung Spinpoint 1TB HDs
2x EVGA 580's

Now I can tell you this from personal experience MAXED OUT .... which means ALL bells and whistles and there are some games like metro 2033 that will CRUSH this system. If you are playing on max settings and you can notice frames slowing down, that res/features are TOO HIGH.

So that brings me to my final point ....alot of people on here are giving down right AWFUL/Wrong advice. A 560TI, 5850 radeon or even a 570/580 in some cases/games will not MAX any game at 1920x1080. So stop telling people it will, also in regards to upcoming titles bf3 and Skyrim etc don't tell people they can max the game based on what it looks like now, they are in beta stages can always be updated and in BF3's case full AA/AF DoF , Tessellation and other high end visual effects have not even been implemented. So because you ran it at 60 frames a second on a 460 does not correlate to 60 frames at launch.

BeCoolBro

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
The 5870s xfire and gtx 560 tis are able to max out any game.Maxing out settings means putting everything on ultra or uber or whatever the label for max is.AA doesn't count because the amount you need depends on your tastes and if you're playing from a distance(e.g. on your tv) it isn't even required.Also about Metro 2033,my 5850 at 950 core/1200 memory and my i5 750 at 3.8ghz can run it on max with ~20fps...If your gtx 580 sli setup has difficulty running it,even with AA,something is really wrong with it.
To avoid confusion though,this applies for resolutions < 1920x1080.For 2560x1600 and multi-monitor solutions,no single card can max out the latest games.

cygone

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
tbf the OP has some valid points, their is ALOT of bad inforamtion and advice that is given on these forums, (but hey, thats the same with alot of forums),

To be Maxed settings, means everything turned up to the max, running at least a 1080 res, with the MINIMUM FPS not dropping below 30, and I can also tell you that VERY FEW SYSTEMS IN THE WORLD can do this with titles such as M2033 and BF3.

However this is taken into account no O/C, on the GPUs or the CPU, I can tell you that runing SLI 470 water cooled to 825 core, I can run BF3 at MAX settings at 1080 and NOT drop below 30fps (these cards are running about 30% faster than stock) my CPU is also clocked from 2.66 to 4.4ghz, so thats what a hugh 60%?ish OC.

Running at stock clocks, on stock CPUs, then I doubt a the abiltiy for SLI580 to run BF3 at ulta and NOT drop below 30fps.

+1 to the OP

envymert

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
You realize this is exactly my point .....can run it on max at 20fps. This is sub par to human vision as you can see the slow downs ........ just because you can set all the sliders to max does not mean you can or should be running/playing at max.

Also what is the point of maxing out DoF and Tessalation if you do not have AA or AF enabled? Even if I had my output go to my TV at 1080 at 10ft I would notice jaggies.

Another example you cant run BF3 at max settings........for one all graphical options are not implemented yet, furthermore you toss in caspian and 64/128 people on a server and your experience is going to drastically change from being underground in a subway with 16 a side.

cygone

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009

20FPS is way below anything that can be described as good, in the exmaple you give, you system is NOT capable of runing that at MAX, and yes AF/AA at their top level is also included in the settings of 'MAX' if you lower them, your NOT running at max and it is the AA/AF that totally cripples GPUs and hits frame rates hard.

If you are happy runing at 20fps, thats ok. but please for the love of god, dont tell ppl that your system is good enuff to run these things at max, cause it is NOT ever REMOTLY close.

Talk about false info...sigh

envymert

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011

This is exactly it ....... Max settings is MAX settings. Full res, full options and full AA AF. People are like well you can MAX out metro and get good frames, just turn off depth of field and tessellation. . . . . THAT IS NOT MAXING IT OUT THEN!!!!

cygone

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
64 player Caspian, and I would conceed, my system will NOT be able to run it at MAX settings, and considering my PC is inside the top what 1% on 3DMARK i am quite happy in saying that 99% of ppl cant run it maxed =)

chriscornell

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
In my humble opinion Maxed means:

Monitors native resolution

Anisotrophic Filtering at 8x, 16x or 32x depending on what the game accepts

Full Screen Antialiasing of at least 8x regular samples

Every ingame graphic setting on "highest/ultra"

and Vertical Sync ENABLED! cause screen tearing ruins everything that would actually look good in a game.

Whilst having all these features enabled you are constantly well above 35fps.

This has been my presentation of maxed settings :)

envymert

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011

+1 to Chris This is EXACTLY what MAXED SETTINGS on a game means. Everything maxed all eye candy on to its full glory.

metro can run just fine on max with a 580sli. i just went through and ran some of the worst parts with my single 570, and the game surely couldnt play max above the 30 fps mark the entire time, but had spikes to 39, and dips to 20. so if my single card can do so, then how do you guys figure 580x2 will fare? if you are talking the benchmark, of course, then you WILL have issues running it on any system, because benckmarks dont exactly reflect anything but the max amount of stuff going on at one time, and will kill your system. the actual game is quite playable with the proper sli/xfire setup at max.

envymert

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011

With my computer there are certain areas ...... like heading outside to inside in which Depth of field will drop my FPS to 28 .....granted this is acceptable it still would CRUSH most systems. My computer is in no way top tier buy I think it be top 5-10%.

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Metro 2033 is not a great game so most people don't consider it when making recommendations. BF3 isn't out yet, the beta had some problems but I bet the finished product runs fine maxed out at 1080p on sli 560ti's. I doubt Skyrim, a DX9 game, will be very demanding.

I happen to think metro is fantastic and would recommend it to any fan of the genre

envymert

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011

This game is very very good ....it is on Steam right now for $5!!! for $5 its def worth the buy and play through.....its not an in your face shooter, a more sneaky shooter but its awesome none the less.

bumnut53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011

I think you will struggle maxing BF3 with 2 x 560's. My 2 x 570's can barely max it on the caspian border map at around 35 - 40 fps.

I get 60 plus on the metro map.

cygone

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
You wont struggle to max bf3 with 560 on caspian, you just WONT do it,

35-40 fps is okis if that is the MINIMUM fps you get, I would assume from the way you wrote it tho, that is the average not lowest. means that you also have issues and that DICE were correct in stating that gtx580 sli would be needed to max this game with max players on the larget maps.

BeCoolBro

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
I didn't claim that I can max metro 2033 with my 5850.20 fps is too little for me,so I play on high.All I wanted to say is that if a 5850 can run it at 20 fps,then the gtx 580s in sli shouldn't have any problems running it at above 30 fps.Anyways the OP has a point saying that nobody should claim that a 5850 or a gtx 560 ti can max out everything even without AA,but I don't think AA should be a factor to determine maxed out.Should we suggest that a gtx 580 isn't able to max out Crysis 1 because it can't run it at 32xAA forced through the Nvidia control center?I don't think so,so that's why I don't take AA into account.There are also mods for many games(hopefully for Skyrim too) that can increase a game's requirements too,so shall we also add them to the mix?
I see others having different criteria though,so I guess it depends on every individuals perception of maxed out.I think the best thing anyone giving advice could do is mention what he considers maxed out.So according to my criteria,a gtx 580 can max out any current game while for others gtx 580 quad sli might be the only viable solution.That's my 2 cents.

cygone

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Its not hard, Maxed is MAXED if a setting can go higher, or the setting is turned off you are NOT maxing a game. End of, no discussion!

Its really simple, its the understanding of the English Language, I appreciate some ppls 1st language is not english, but i bet 95% of the ppl that post it is.