Can't start in Safe Mode

In trying to resolve a Spyware problem I was advised to start in Safe mode.
I hit f8, select safe mode, boot process starts, scrolls a ton of file names
on screen, stops, and sits there. I've left it for as much as an hour to
make sure it isn't doing anything. Any ideas on this?

donc

Distinguished
May 24, 2003

add'l info:

.... filenames scroll by until AGP440.SYS, at
which point the scrolling stops and all disk activity seems to stop. It
always stops on this file. File last changed date in
c:\winnt\system32\drivers is 8/17/2001 1:58 PM - same as the one in
driver.cab

(cross-posted in microsoft.public.enable.issues)

FWIW
I had a similar problem for months and tried a multitude of things
without success. Finally did a Repair Install and Safe Mode was
restored.

"DonC" <donald_cooley@dell.com> wrote in message

> add'l info:
>
> ... filenames scroll by until AGP440.SYS, at
> which point the scrolling stops and all disk activity seems to stop.
> It
> always stops on this file. File last changed date in
> c:\winnt\system32\drivers is 8/17/2001 1:58 PM - same as the one in
> driver.cab
>

> (cross-posted in microsoft.public.enable.issues)

---