Windows Freezing when NOT in use

I am honestly having the strangest problem and I'm not sure where to
start in order to fix it.

The computer is running windows xp and has had absolutly no problems
up until this point. It's used as an "office" computer and therefore
is only used for email retrieval and office programs. No other
software is on it besides Microsoft Office, standard Windows programs,
and Norton Systemworks. Nothing has changed.

Suddenly the comptuer has started to freeze in the last week. The
strange thing is it does NOT freeze as long as it's in use--- it
freezes as soon as you walk away or don't use it for over 30 seconds
or so.

I am not sure if this is a sign of a dying hard drive, processor, or
what. My immediate thought was over heating-- but when checked-- all
the fans were still operating as normal.

Help? Ideas? I'm not sure what I should be buying here in order to fix
this.

Thanks,

Abby

Check Event Viewer (Start - > Settings -> Control Panel - > Administrative
Tools - > Event Viewer) for possible errors.

Spyware/Virus Removal and Prevention:
http://www.fixyourwindows.com/windowsxpsolutions.htm
(Links to online virus scans on the same page)

How to optimize Windows XP, 2000, ME
for the best performance (Step-by-step Visual Guide):
http://www.fixyourwindows.com

Good Luck!
---
How to successfully install Windows XP Service Pack 2:
http://www.fixyourwindows.com/winxpsp2install.htm