Nvidia Selling its Own Retail Add-in Graphics Cards

Last response: in News comments
October 6, 2010 10:05:58 AM

yes I would like to pay more for less.
Score
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2010 10:10:00 AM

$299.99 for reference GeForce GTS 460? for real?
Score
Related resources
October 6, 2010 10:15:02 AM

GTS 460? That's a "X" there, not an S
Score
October 6, 2010 10:28:05 AM

Am I surprised by this? Actually, I'm far more surprised by nVidia somehow gaining the capability to manufacture its own boards, than I am by the price. (I mean, 66% more than on NewEgg? This is Best Buy, after all)

My guess is that nVidia has these boards actually produced by someone else, (likely eVGA or PNY, both of which, IIRC, have produced their "reference boards" in the past) and simply re-badged it as their own work. After all, re-branding is a skill that nVidia's had years to hone!
Score
October 6, 2010 10:43:28 AM

This is great.
Score
Anonymous
October 6, 2010 10:55:59 AM

Means they get extra $ for the Chip, makes sense seeming they are not doing so well lately!
Score
October 6, 2010 10:58:27 AM

Wow that's overpriced for a GTX460 compared to Newegg prices.
Score
October 6, 2010 11:16:38 AM

nvidia's desperation
Score
October 6, 2010 11:18:56 AM

cryioGTS 460? That's a "X" there, not an S

GTS 460 is a typo in article, should be GTX460
Score
October 6, 2010 11:26:03 AM

yeah, "great" price.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2010 11:27:29 AM

I would not be surprised if these were manufactured by Palit. They've got the capacity to do this. There's not that many manufacturers they could be getting from anyway. Half of the brands on the market are just stickers on someone else's product.

EDIT: I'll be sure to read the article next time.
Score
October 6, 2010 11:35:57 AM

For everyone speculating at who makes the board, please actually read the article.

"The packaging also makes it abundantly clear that it's designed and built by Nvidia, despite being a product from the Foxconn factories."
Score
October 6, 2010 11:38:57 AM

and yet company never surprise me.. They never learn anything.. Now Nvidia is going to follow the same path as 3dfx. They company they took out of the business so elegantly
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2010 11:41:27 AM

@ randomizer. That or perhaps BFG dropped out of the video card business to solely manufacture the nVIDIA brand, or sold their facility to nVIDIA. The two events do seem to coincide nicely.

Funny how it seems they're doing what ATI did, just in reverse. I wonder if eventually they'll go fully into reverse and end up where ATI began - being the sole manufacturer of their products.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2010 11:49:53 AM

Even for retail prices, 300 $ for GTX 460 is quite high.BUT that is the best packaging I've seen for a regular graphics card.
Score
October 6, 2010 11:57:59 AM

Now this, just after Nvidia only managed to bring its product to market six months later than ATI...and longer for the mainstream.

3dfx anyone? Although maybe with that price for a stock card, other card manufacturers aren't going to care anyway.
Score
October 6, 2010 12:28:46 PM

Am I the only one who doesn't care to decide between XFX, Palit, ASUS etc.?
Give me a gold ole' Radeon 5870 with a fat ATi sticker on it. Not XFX, and not AMD either.
:D 
Score
October 6, 2010 12:29:21 PM

I agree with the above comments.
I though the 460 was supposed to compete with the 5770, so it should be roughly half what it's selling for here.
Score
October 6, 2010 12:45:41 PM

Foxconn makes these so I'll pass. I think the video card's maker should be the point of quality. Using the GPU maker's name is a bit underhanded.
Score
October 6, 2010 12:53:36 PM

Wow. This is pretty shocking. Usually you don't want to compete with your customers. This is also why Microsoft doesn't sell computers...
Score
October 6, 2010 1:12:09 PM

So is this the horrible 768 MB or the decent 1024 MB version?

Off topic:
Why is there a QR code on the price tag? Product page link?
Is anyone besides Best Buy doing this QR thing?

Last time I was in the US they didn't have them, although that was before Android...
Score
October 6, 2010 1:17:17 PM

Definitely would NOT buy from Foxconn. Friend of mine bought a 9600GT couple years back. The first one failed not long after it was purchased. The replacement from the manufacturer never worked right and they refused to replace it again.
Score
October 6, 2010 1:32:37 PM

I think the market they are tapping are the people who have absolutely no clue there is an online or computer store market that actually specialize in computer parts. Actually...they are tapping the people who actually have no clue. People who have a hard time finding the "on" switch. You could tell them that this video card makes the mouse pointer go faster and look crisper and they would buy it.
Score
October 6, 2010 2:22:09 PM

djhg2000...Off topic:Why is there a QR code on the price tag? Product page link?Is anyone besides Best Buy doing this QR thing?Last time I was in the US they didn't have them, although that was before Android...

They (I guess I should say we) started that a month or so ago. I'm personally not a big fan of it because a lot of times there's less info on the tag, forcing you to either have done your homework, or have a smart phone with an app that can scan them. Although I guess I would care less if I had a smart phone.

On topic: that IS some cool packaging, but Newegg does have spec cards for less money. If you want instant gratification, then you have to pay for the cost of having sit in a store instead of a warehouse.
Score
October 6, 2010 2:22:49 PM

Best Buy shows once again their inflation on electronics prices.
Score
October 6, 2010 2:37:08 PM

why so costly?
Score
October 6, 2010 2:52:25 PM

I wonder if eventually they'll go fully into reverse and end up where ATI began - being the sole manufacturer of their products.

Could be, especially as people like XFX are no longer nVidia partners, and are doing very good business thank-you-very-much with ATI cards.
Score
October 6, 2010 3:04:07 PM

You have to remember that the Best Buy demographic are the people who pay $100 for Monster brand hdmi cables...
Score
October 6, 2010 3:11:30 PM

They're made by Foxconn, despite having the Nvidia name on them, so their reliability is in question. I'll avoid them.
Score
October 6, 2010 3:20:21 PM

cronik93Wow that's overpriced for a GTX460 compared to Newegg prices.

Yeah, but it's Best Buy...
Have you seen how much they charge for a $4 HDMI cable?
Score
October 6, 2010 3:29:14 PM

Sorry but can anybody say BAD IDEA? This is exactly what 3DFX (may they rest in piece) tried to do before crashing and burning. Nvidia you should know this cuz you bought them, dumb a$$'$! Oh well, looks like NVIDIA will be sold in the next few years. Maybe AMD will gobble them up and we can have a RADEFORCE hybrid card! WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Score
October 6, 2010 4:43:43 PM

dark_lord69Yeah, but it's Best Buy...Have you seen how much they charge for a $4 HDMI cable?

Personally i like how they only appear to have competing brands geek squad, dynex, rocketfish, Insignia and Init. When in fact they are all just in house best buy products.

Oh hey want a 6 ft dvi-d cable. 34 bucks T_T

elbertFoxconn makes these so I'll pass. I think the video card's maker should be the point of quality. Using the GPU maker's name is a bit underhanded.

ATI used to do this all the time until their partners got mad at them lol. Also in terms of reference cards most of nvidia cards are made from foxconn and i believe nvidia has one other large supplier. Few cards are actually made by like asus or msi. But more often they are still made by another party using the other parties reference board designs and just slapping their own heatsink on it. It's a similar set up with AMD =p Not everyone is going to make facilities to accommodate the entire process of making a board and heatsinks, they just contract another person to do it. Just like Nvidia doesn't actually make chips places like TMSC does.
Score
October 6, 2010 5:32:55 PM

Somewhat old news. BTW, what exactly is nVidia thinking? Does it want all of its AIB manufacturers to move to ATI bandwagon like XFX did?
Score
October 6, 2010 5:38:28 PM

thehockeyinjunSorry but can anybody say BAD IDEA? This is exactly what 3DFX (may they rest in piece) tried to do before crashing and burning. Nvidia you should know this cuz you bought them, dumb a$$'$! Oh well, looks like NVIDIA will be sold in the next few years. Maybe AMD will gobble them up and we can have a RADEFORCE hybrid card! WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

If AMD do to nVidia what nVidia did to 3DFX, they would buy them, rape the company of all it's IP and carry on under it's own branding of Radeon whilst the GeForce name gets buried in a shallow grave in the desert.
Score
October 6, 2010 5:42:57 PM

overprice. here in the philippines, a 1gb palit gtx460 just cost about US$200 tax included.
Score
October 6, 2010 5:51:39 PM

If you look really close on the PCB it says, "Send Help, I'm trapped in an Iphone factory"
Score
October 6, 2010 5:55:50 PM

It looks like a Best Buy price tag. You have to be a sucker to buy a video card from there in the first place.
Score
October 6, 2010 6:04:32 PM

rohitbaranSomewhat old news. BTW, what exactly is nVidia thinking? Does it want all of its AIB manufacturers to move to ATI bandwagon like XFX did?

This is not entirely out of character for Nvidia. They have a bit of a habit when dealing with partners. See: Nforce200, restricting who can sell Nvidia boards, etc.

Now, I like both companies and want to see them both playing on equal footing, which drives performance, features, and price. But Nvidia needs to lighten up and figure things out. $100 more for a branded Nvidia board made by a manufacturer with known issues? Danger will Robinson, Danger!
Score
October 6, 2010 6:17:10 PM

thehockeyinjunSorry but can anybody say BAD IDEA? This is exactly what 3DFX (may they rest in piece) tried to do before crashing and burning. Nvidia you should know this cuz you bought them, dumb a$$'$! Oh well, looks like NVIDIA will be sold in the next few years. Maybe AMD will gobble them up and we can have a RADEFORCE hybrid card! WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

NO,NO,NO,NO,NO, I buy AMD/ATI cards because I don't want rubbish like this
http://www.nvidiasettlement.com/affectedmodels.html
so I don't want to AMD making Nvidia rubbish in the future.
Score
October 6, 2010 6:21:03 PM

I'll be sticking with Gigabyte's amazing cards.
Score
October 6, 2010 6:39:23 PM

cronik93Wow that's overpriced for a GTX460 compared to Newegg prices.

Considering I built a system for a customer with dual GTX 460s that cost $400 together ($200 a pop), then yea very overpriced. Its 50% higher than Newegg.

But thats Best Buy for ya.

I used to go straight for a ATI made GPU but they stopped that when AMD bought em.
Score
October 6, 2010 7:00:09 PM

Wow that's a lot more than I was expecting price wise.
Score
October 6, 2010 7:09:06 PM

graham_71I don't want to AMD making Nvidia rubbish in the future.

As opposed to nVidia making nVidia rubbish in the present?
tough choice
Score
October 6, 2010 7:27:28 PM

Yeah, I miss the times when ATi used to make their own cards. Though I will say that my Sapphire 4870 card is almost 2 years old now and it's still going strong, so maybe opening the doors to partners wasn't all bad.

It's funny that ATi went the old nVidia model and now nVidia is going the old ATi model.
Score
October 6, 2010 7:30:23 PM

this will appeal to people who dont know what the hell they are buying.
Mate - "Dude i got a GTX460"
Mate 2 - "I got one today from best buy"
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2010 7:38:38 PM

RadeForce WTF?
Score
October 6, 2010 7:44:18 PM

What do you mean. "Radeforce WTF?" Its only logical that Nvidia has $h1t the bed with this announcement and AMD is folding the ATI name. Radeforce only makes sense doesnt it? Ok how about Ge-WeMadeamistake-Force! LOL
Score
October 6, 2010 7:49:32 PM

Meh, I'm still a PNY-er when it comes to nVidia gfx cards. At any rate, perhaps my next purchase will be an ATI considering that nVidia's not really producing anything worth even yawning about.

From AMD + nVidia -> Intel + ATI...
Score
October 6, 2010 8:10:03 PM

back_by_demandAs opposed to nVidia making nVidia rubbish in the present?...tough choice

No tough choice. Buy AMD and you won't get nVidia rubbish. If they buy nVidia, you are not left with any choice.
Score
!