What did I do wrong?

G

First of all guys, I want to get this out of the way:
I am new at building computers, and this was my first attempt.

OK, here is my problem.

I got a 1.13ghz athlon, 256mb DDR ram, and a Soyo K7v-dragon. Antec sx830 w/ 300wt power supply.

I had a few hours before work, so I decided to try to get it together. I had everything together, with everything hooked up(power, IDEs) When I went to power up my system, I left the side of the case off so I could see what was going on. I went to power up my system, and when I plugged in my tower, the light on the mobo came on, and the light by the integrated Lan came on. It would not power up, none of the fans would try to turn, and it sat there with its little green light on. It wouldn't turn on, so I figured taht maybe my switch on the front was bad. I went to work, and came back.

I double checked my connections for LEDs, power switch, reset switch, HDD light and power light, and speaker, all was good.

I tried turning it on again, and it wouldn't turn on. I looked at my book for a second, and heard a pop, then no more power on my motherboard =(. I don't know if my power supply was bad, or it was somehow my fault, but it died on me =( What do you guys think should be wrong? Power supply or just a bad motherboard? I'm not familiar with this to diagnose something that drastic =( Thank you for your input in advance.

Scott Conrad

Uncle_joe

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
I went to power up my system, and when I plugged in my tower, the light on the mobo came on, and the light by the integrated Lan came on. It would not power up, none of the fans would try to turn, and it sat there with its little green light on.
This seems to be power suply problem (lights on and no fan).

Breaking news: Intel hit by a SledgeHammer! AMD to blame! More in just a moment...

DOOM

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2001
You heard a "pop"? That doesn't sound good!

Try disconnecting everything *except* for your PC speaker. I mean EVERYTHING, even the memory and CPU. Try turning the board on. If your mobo is working correctly, you should hear some beep error codes. These codes are different for every BIOS mfg (e.g. Pheonix, AMI, Mylex, etc.). Go <A HREF="http://www.globalvillage.net/TroubleShoot/bios_and_beep_codes.htm" target="_new">here</A> to see what the different beep codes are for your BIOS.

Now power off, add the CPU, and try it again. You should still get beeps saying you have no memory installed. Power off, install the memory, and try it again. You should still get beeps saying you have no video installed. Continue like this, installing things one by one until you isolate which component is causing the problem.

If your mobo doesn't beep when it's completely bare, I think it might be fried.

-DOOM
"Ultimately, there is no knowledge -- only belief."

reset your cpu... sounds like you put it together TOO fast. If something isn't in right your computer will not turn on and since your cpu's fan does not turn on but have lights then your power supply is fine ... you wouldn't have any lights even, if the PS was bad. So reinsert your cards, ram, and cpu in that order and try one by one.. take a card out reinsert it and turn it on, same with ram, take it out and back in, same with cpu, take it off and back in...

plz use a static wrist strap! you can buy them at your local computer store.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>