No Desktop icons and cannot run any programs

After logging on (xp pro sp1) i get a blue desktop with no icons or start
menu, nothing.
I can only access Task Manager by pressing "alt + ctrl + del". In task
manager there are no programs running. There are 15 processes running, one of
which (inactive process of the system) i am not familiar with and i cannot
terminate it and explorer is not there.

When I try to start a new task, (explorer or regedit for example) I get a
message "This file has no association..... create an association in control
panel".

I have tried running in Safe mode but still i cannot run any executable
programs. I have even tried running the repair utility from the xp
installation disk but nothing there is useful.

Can anyone advise me how to overcome this problem?

Many thanks
Nathan
5 answers Last reply
More about desktop icons programs

    Hi, seems to me you may have picked up a virus. I've included some links to assist
    with your problems and also some online virus scanning sites.

    Windows® XP File Association Fixes
    Copyright 2003 - Doug Knox
    EXE File Association Fix (Restore default association for EXE files)

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318027
    Taskbar Is Missing When You Log On to Windows

    and/or

    Line 117 – Restore Taskbar and Start Menu

    Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

    or Line #195 "Restore Desktop Icons and Taskbar"

    Downloadable McAfee AVERT Stinger:
    Stinger: http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
    stand-alone utility used to detect and remove specific viruses. It is not a
    substitute for full anti-virus protection, but rather a tool to assist
    administrators and users when dealing with an infected system. Stinger utilizes
    next generation scan engine technology, including process scanning, digitally
    signed DAT files, and scan performance optimizations.

    Perhaps an online security/virus check
    Symantec
    http://security.norton.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym
    Trend Micro House Call:
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    Panda ActiveScan;
    McAfee FreeScan:
    Kaspersky Labs On-line Virus Checker:

    "Ratarseali" <Ratarseali@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > After logging on (xp pro sp1) i get a blue desktop with no icons or start
    > menu, nothing.
    > I can only access Task Manager by pressing "alt + ctrl + del". In task
    > manager there are no programs running. There are 15 processes running, one of
    > which (inactive process of the system) i am not familiar with and i cannot
    > terminate it and explorer is not there.
    >
    > When I try to start a new task, (explorer or regedit for example) I get a
    > message "This file has no association..... create an association in control
    > panel".
    >
    > I have tried running in Safe mode but still i cannot run any executable
    > programs. I have even tried running the repair utility from the xp
    > installation disk but nothing there is useful.
    >
    > Can anyone advise me how to overcome this problem?
    >
    > Many thanks
    > Nathan

    Thanks for the information and i will try them, but first I must ask, How do
    I run these fixes? My machine will not run any programs. I tried running the
    "xp_fileassoc.bat" from http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm but that
    says it is not a 32bit file and aborts. Any ideas ?

    "Taurarian Constellation" wrote:

    > Hi, seems to me you may have picked up a virus. I've included some links to assist
    > with your problems and also some online virus scanning sites.
    >
    > Windows® XP File Association Fixes
    > Copyright 2003 - Doug Knox
    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
    > EXE File Association Fix (Restore default association for EXE files)
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318027
    > Taskbar Is Missing When You Log On to Windows
    >
    > and/or

    > Line 117 – Restore Taskbar and Start Menu
    >
    > Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
    >
    > or Line #195 "Restore Desktop Icons and Taskbar"
    >

    > Downloadable McAfee AVERT Stinger:
    > Stinger: http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
    > stand-alone utility used to detect and remove specific viruses. It is not a
    > substitute for full anti-virus protection, but rather a tool to assist
    > administrators and users when dealing with an infected system. Stinger utilizes
    > next generation scan engine technology, including process scanning, digitally
    > signed DAT files, and scan performance optimizations.
    >

    > Perhaps an online security/virus check
    > Symantec
    > http://security.norton.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym
    > Trend Micro House Call:
    > http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    > Panda ActiveScan;
    > http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm
    > McAfee FreeScan:
    > http://us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp
    > Kaspersky Labs On-line Virus Checker:
    > http://www.kaspersky.com/remoteviruschk.html
    >

    > "Ratarseali" <Ratarseali@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > After logging on (xp pro sp1) i get a blue desktop with no icons or start
    > > menu, nothing.
    > > I can only access Task Manager by pressing "alt + ctrl + del". In task
    > > manager there are no programs running. There are 15 processes running, one of
    > > which (inactive process of the system) i am not familiar with and i cannot
    > > terminate it and explorer is not there.
    > >
    > > When I try to start a new task, (explorer or regedit for example) I get a
    > > message "This file has no association..... create an association in control
    > > panel".
    > >
    > > I have tried running in Safe mode but still i cannot run any executable
    > > programs. I have even tried running the repair utility from the xp
    > > installation disk but nothing there is useful.
    > >
    > > Can anyone advise me how to overcome this problem?
    > >
    > > Many thanks
    > > Nathan

    You need the exe one
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/xp_exe_fix.zip

    The files listed here are all ZIP files, which contain a REG (Registry) file.
    Download the ZIP and open it. Extract the REG file to your hard disk and double
    click it. Answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad.
    Each of the REG files contains the default settings for the file extension indicated.
    For the ZIP file fix, the download is a REG file, since ZIP's aren't working anyway!

    You Are Unable to Start a Program with an .exe File Extension
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q310585/

    > Thanks for the information and i will try them, but first I must ask, How do
    > I run these fixes? My machine will not run any programs. I tried running the
    > "xp_fileassoc.bat" from http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm but that
    > says it is not a 32bit file and aborts. Any ideas ?
    >

    > "Taurarian Constellation" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi, seems to me you may have picked up a virus. I've included some links to assist
    >> with your problems and also some online virus scanning sites.
    >>
    >> Windows® XP File Association Fixes
    >> Copyright 2003 - Doug Knox
    >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
    >> EXE File Association Fix (Restore default association for EXE files)
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318027
    >> Taskbar Is Missing When You Log On to Windows
    >>
    >> and/or

    >> Line 117 – Restore Taskbar and Start Menu
    >>
    >> Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm
    >>
    >> or Line #195 "Restore Desktop Icons and Taskbar"
    >>

    >> Downloadable McAfee AVERT Stinger:
    >> Stinger: http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
    >> stand-alone utility used to detect and remove specific viruses. It is not a
    >> substitute for full anti-virus protection, but rather a tool to assist
    >> administrators and users when dealing with an infected system. Stinger utilizes
    >> next generation scan engine technology, including process scanning, digitally
    >> signed DAT files, and scan performance optimizations.
    >>

    >> Perhaps an online security/virus check
    >> Symantec
    >> http://security.norton.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym
    >> Trend Micro House Call:
    >> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    >> Panda ActiveScan;
    >> http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm
    >> McAfee FreeScan:
    >> http://us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp
    >> Kaspersky Labs On-line Virus Checker:
    >> http://www.kaspersky.com/remoteviruschk.html
    >>

    >> "Ratarseali" <Ratarseali@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > After logging on (xp pro sp1) i get a blue desktop with no icons or start
    >> > menu, nothing.
    >> > I can only access Task Manager by pressing "alt + ctrl + del". In task
    >> > manager there are no programs running. There are 15 processes running, one of
    >> > which (inactive process of the system) i am not familiar with and i cannot
    >> > terminate it and explorer is not there.
    >> >
    >> > When I try to start a new task, (explorer or regedit for example) I get a
    >> > message "This file has no association..... create an association in control
    >> > panel".
    >> >
    >> > I have tried running in Safe mode but still i cannot run any executable
    >> > programs. I have even tried running the repair utility from the xp
    >> > installation disk but nothing there is useful.
    >> >
    >> > Can anyone advise me how to overcome this problem?
    >> >
    >> > Many thanks
    >> > Nathan

    Taurarian again i must thank you for your help and advice, but i am still a
    little confused to say the least.

    Correct me if i am wrong ( and i normally am), but given that i cannot run
    ANY application (no exe, no com, no bat) how do I install this reg file. My
    experience with xp is limited, but i assume the reg file uses an executable
    to install into the registry....... I really need some help here.

    Thanks again

    "Taurarian Constellation" wrote:

    > You need the exe one
    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/xp_exe_fix.zip
    >
    > The files listed here are all ZIP files, which contain a REG (Registry) file.
    > Download the ZIP and open it. Extract the REG file to your hard disk and double
    > click it. Answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad.
    > Each of the REG files contains the default settings for the file extension indicated.
    > For the ZIP file fix, the download is a REG file, since ZIP's aren't working anyway!
    >
    > You Are Unable to Start a Program with an .exe File Extension
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q310585/
    >

    > "Ratarseali" <Ratarseali@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks for the information and i will try them, but first I must ask, How do
    > > I run these fixes? My machine will not run any programs. I tried running the
    > > "xp_fileassoc.bat" from http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm but that
    > > says it is not a 32bit file and aborts. Any ideas ?
    > >

    > > "Taurarian Constellation" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi, seems to me you may have picked up a virus. I've included some links to assist
    > >> with your problems and also some online virus scanning sites.
    > >>
    > >> Windows® XP File Association Fixes
    > >> Copyright 2003 - Doug Knox
    > >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
    > >> EXE File Association Fix (Restore default association for EXE files)
    > >>
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318027
    > >> Taskbar Is Missing When You Log On to Windows
    > >>
    > >> and/or
    > >>
    > >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    > >> Line 117 – Restore Taskbar and Start Menu
    > >>
    > >> Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
    > >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm
    > >>
    > >> or Line #195 "Restore Desktop Icons and Taskbar"
    > >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    > >>

    > >> Downloadable McAfee AVERT Stinger:
    > >> Stinger: http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
    > >> stand-alone utility used to detect and remove specific viruses. It is not a
    > >> substitute for full anti-virus protection, but rather a tool to assist
    > >> administrators and users when dealing with an infected system. Stinger utilizes
    > >> next generation scan engine technology, including process scanning, digitally
    > >> signed DAT files, and scan performance optimizations.
    > >>

    > >> Perhaps an online security/virus check
    > >> Symantec
    > >> http://security.norton.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym
    > >> Trend Micro House Call:
    > >> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    > >> Panda ActiveScan;
    > >> http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm
    > >> McAfee FreeScan:
    > >> http://us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp
    > >> Kaspersky Labs On-line Virus Checker:
    > >> http://www.kaspersky.com/remoteviruschk.html
    > >>

    > >> "Ratarseali" <Ratarseali@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Download the zip file, inside the zip file is a .reg file, Double clicking
    the reg file should restore the exe association and allow you to continue
    fixing your system.

Desktop Icons Windows XP