New Wireless setup?

Newby here!

I received for Christmas a Netgear Wireless Router WGR614 v5, and a Netgear
Wireless PC Card WG511.
I made the installation following the enclosed setup instructions. The
desktop computer is connected with a cable and the Laptop wirelessly. I made
a connection to the internet with the both Desktop and the Laptop. I am able
to surf the internet and get Hotmail email with the laptop, but I cannot get
my Comcast email. I can even access the Comcast newsgroup.

The error message displayed when I attempt to connect to Comcast email is:

"The server responded with an error. Account: 'Comcast Online', Server:
'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR AVG POP3 Proxy
Server: Cannot connect to the mail server!', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No,
Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90"

I can use a dial-up connection with the laptop and I am able to get to my
Comcast email account.
I can also get my email with the wired desktop.

Any Ideas,
Thanks,
John
7 answers Last reply
More about wireless setup

    "L'l John" <je_norris@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Newby here!
    >
    > I received for Christmas a Netgear Wireless Router WGR614 v5, and a
    Netgear
    > Wireless PC Card WG511.
    > I made the installation following the enclosed setup instructions. The
    > desktop computer is connected with a cable and the Laptop wirelessly. I
    made
    > a connection to the internet with the both Desktop and the Laptop. I am
    able
    > to surf the internet and get Hotmail email with the laptop, but I cannot
    get
    > my Comcast email. I can even access the Comcast newsgroup.
    >
    > The error message displayed when I attempt to connect to Comcast email is:
    >
    > "The server responded with an error. Account: 'Comcast Online', Server:
    > 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR AVG POP3 Proxy
    > Server: Cannot connect to the mail server!', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No,
    > Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90"
    >
    > I can use a dial-up connection with the laptop and I am able to get to my
    > Comcast email account.
    > I can also get my email with the wired desktop.
    >
    > Any Ideas,
    > Thanks,
    > John

    Are you using a firewall, like the xp firewall. When you look at your
    wireless connection does it say firewalled?

    "Airhead" <campbell@alliancecable.net> wrote in message

    | "L'l John" <je_norris@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | > Newby here!
    | >
    | > I received for Christmas a Netgear Wireless Router WGR614 v5, and a
    | Netgear
    | > Wireless PC Card WG511.
    | > I made the installation following the enclosed setup instructions. The
    | > desktop computer is connected with a cable and the Laptop wirelessly. I
    | made
    | > a connection to the internet with the both Desktop and the Laptop. I am
    | able
    | > to surf the internet and get Hotmail email with the laptop, but I cannot
    | get
    | > my Comcast email. I can even access the Comcast newsgroup.
    | >
    | > The error message displayed when I attempt to connect to Comcast email
    is:

    | > "The server responded with an error. Account: 'Comcast Online', Server:
    | > 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR AVG POP3
    Proxy
    | > Server: Cannot connect to the mail server!', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No,
    | > Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90"
    | >
    | > I can use a dial-up connection with the laptop and I am able to get to
    my
    | > Comcast email account.
    | > I can also get my email with the wired desktop.
    | >
    | > Any Ideas,
    | > Thanks,
    | > John
    |
    | Are you using a firewall, like the xp firewall. When you look at your
    | wireless connection does it say firewalled?

    Yes, Windows firewall is turned on. I just turned it off and it doesn't make
    a difference.
    I just using the default no-encryption setup with the new Wireless
    equipment. I plan to enable some kind of encryption after I get more
    familiar with this.

    I need to correct my previous statement about connecting with dial-up. I
    can't do that either. Just when connected directly to the Cable Modem can I
    connect to the mail server. There must be something with Comcast that
    requires one to log-on while using the direct connection on their Cable
    Modem???
    I would have thought that would be the same thing when connected through a
    router.

    Thanks,
    John

    || Are you using a firewall, like the xp firewall. When you look at your
    || wireless connection does it say firewalled?
    |
    | Yes, Windows firewall is turned on. I just turned it off and it doesn't
    make
    | a difference.
    | I just using the default no-encryption setup with the new Wireless
    | equipment. I plan to enable some kind of encryption after I get more
    | familiar with this.
    |
    | I need to correct my previous statement about connecting with dial-up. I
    | can't do that either. Just when connected directly to the Cable Modem can
    | connect to the mail server. There must be something with Comcast that
    | requires one to log-on while using the direct connection on their Cable
    | Modem???
    | I would have thought that would be the same thing when connected through a
    | router.
    |
    | Thanks,
    | John

    I just sent myself a test email and it did send, but I cannot receive it on
    this laptop.
    Strange!

    Double check and make sure the settings for your email setup on your laptop
    are the same as your desktop that does connect.

    "L'l John" <je_norris@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Newby here!
    >
    > I received for Christmas a Netgear Wireless Router WGR614 v5, and a
    > Netgear
    > Wireless PC Card WG511.
    > I made the installation following the enclosed setup instructions. The
    > desktop computer is connected with a cable and the Laptop wirelessly. I
    > made
    > a connection to the internet with the both Desktop and the Laptop. I am
    > able
    > to surf the internet and get Hotmail email with the laptop, but I cannot
    > get
    > my Comcast email. I can even access the Comcast newsgroup.
    >
    > The error message displayed when I attempt to connect to Comcast email is:
    >
    > "The server responded with an error. Account: 'Comcast Online', Server:
    > 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR AVG POP3 Proxy
    > Server: Cannot connect to the mail server!', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No,
    > Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90"
    >
    > I can use a dial-up connection with the laptop and I am able to get to my
    > Comcast email account.
    > I can also get my email with the wired desktop.
    >
    > Any Ideas,
    > Thanks,
    > John

    Just want to report that I have found and fixed the problem.
    I posted to the Comcast forum and someone suggested that I get rid of all my
    Proxies.
    I reviewed the error message that I got and noticed that there was reference
    to AVG POP3 proxy. I went into the settings on my AVG antivirus and found
    that there was a setting in the email scanner referring to Dial-up
    connection, changed that to LAN and BINGO! I can not get my email wirelessly
    on my laptop.
    Thanks to all who tried to help me with this problem.

    John

    Another point do you have MAC addressing turned on in your Netgear, if so
    turn it off. If you are using WEP or WPA are the encryption numbers the
    same? Are you sure your laptop is "locked" in to your Netgear i.e.. not
    connected to a neighbor's house. I ask this because when I first set up my
    Linksys, I thought I was connected to it because I could get on the internet
    but I could not receive email, turns out I was connected to a neighbors
    unprotected box. I also had a mistake in setting up my email settings.

    "Christian" <nomail@please.com> wrote in message
    > Another point do you have MAC addressing turned on in your Netgear, if so
    > turn it off. If you are using WEP or WPA are the encryption numbers the
    > same? Are you sure your laptop is "locked" in to your Netgear i.e.. not
    > connected to a neighbor's house. I ask this because when I first set up my
    > Linksys, I thought I was connected to it because I could get on the
    > internet but I could not receive email, turns out I was connected to a
    > neighbors unprotected box. I also had a mistake in setting up my email
    > settings.

    I just have the default settings. No MAC addressing, or no encryption being
    used.
    According to the wireless network dialogue, I only have 1 network to choose
    from and it is the one that I have just set up.
    I have double and triple checked my email settings and I am positive they
    are the same on both Desktop and Laptop. The only thing different is the
    Desktop is connected to the router with a cable and the Laptop is connected
    wirelessly.
    I am not having any problem connecting to the Internet with either computer.
    I can connect to Hotmail through Outlook Express, and I can connect to
    Comcast News Server for posting and reading newsgroups. I just cannot
    connect to Comcast email thru the Laptop.
    I appreciate your suggestions.
    Thanks,
    John

    > "L'l John" <je_norris@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Newby here!
    >>
    >> I received for Christmas a Netgear Wireless Router WGR614 v5, and a
    >> Netgear
    >> Wireless PC Card WG511.
    >> I made the installation following the enclosed setup instructions. The
    >> desktop computer is connected with a cable and the Laptop wirelessly. I
    >> made
    >> a connection to the internet with the both Desktop and the Laptop. I am
    >> able
    >> to surf the internet and get Hotmail email with the laptop, but I cannot
    >> get
    >> my Comcast email. I can even access the Comcast newsgroup.
    >>
    >> The error message displayed when I attempt to connect to Comcast email
    >> is:
    >>
    >> "The server responded with an error. Account: 'Comcast Online', Server:
    >> 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR AVG POP3 Proxy
    >> Server: Cannot connect to the mail server!', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No,
    >> Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90"
    >>
    >> I can use a dial-up connection with the laptop and I am able to get to my
    >> Comcast email account.
    >> I can also get my email with the wired desktop.
    >>
    >> Any Ideas,
    >> Thanks,
    >> John

Wireless Laptops Internet Email Servers Wireless Networking