Sign in with
Your question

Slow Boot UP

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 29, 2001 4:07:16 PM

Looking for some help concerning a slow boot up problem that I have been experiencing since I built this system(a year ago).My system configuration (sorry if its a little lengthy) is noted at the bottom of this post.

It takes approx 3 minutes for this system to boot up. I have not overclocked it, and the system runs great. Cooling is taken care of by a fop32-1 Global Wind.

When putting together the info (system configuration info for this post), I noticed that in my Network Information (under System Information) there are duplicate copies. For instance the "File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks" has 12 identical entries. I'm sure I don't need 12. If there is a way to remove these multiple copies how would I go about doing it. Would these be slowing down the boot up. My network runs fine.

I have 3 rom drives on this system plus a zip and a hard drive, could the Win95-98 Promise Ultra100 (tm) IDE (PDC20265) Controller be bogged down trying to poll all these drives. I'm kinda at a loss. Any hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...Thanks

Hardware

ASUS A7V Motherboard 200 MHZ FSB AGP Pro/4X
256MB PC133 Ram
Athlon Thunderbird 1 GHZ Processor
ASUS AGP-V7700 Deluxe v5.33a 32MB Video Card
Conexant HCF 56K Speakerphone PCI Modem
Wave Device for Voice Modem
Ezonics EZ Cam II
Iomega Parallel Port Zip Drive
Microtek Parallel Port Scanner
Win95-98 Promise Ultra100 (tm) IDE Controller
(PDC20265)
Maxtor 5 3073H6 30 GB hard Drive
Lexmark 3200 Series ColorFine, LPT1:
Pic WIN95 Fax Printer
CREATIVE DVD-ROM DVD2240E Drive
MITSUMI CD-ROM FX4830T!B Drive
TEAC CD-W54E CDRW Drive
Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
OpticalMouse2 (PS/2)
Plug and Play Monitor Hitachi 19" CM715
Creative SB Live! Value Sound Card

Software

Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.1998
Internet Explorer Version 6.0.2600.0000CO

Network

Dial-Up Adapter
TCP/IP (2 copies)
DFE-530TX+ 10/100 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
Client for Microsoft Networks (6 copies)
IPX/SPX-compatible Protocol (2 copies)
File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks (12 copies)
NetBEUI (2 copies)

Jump to *Components* ----- CPUs Graphics Cards Motherboards and Chipsets Memory Hard Disks CD Writers CD-ROM/DVD-ROM TV/Video Cards Sound Cards Other Components*Overclocking* ----- CPUs 3D Chips Motherboards Cooling and Heatsinks*Peripherals* ----- Communications, Network and Internet CRT Monitors Flat Panels Printers Scanners Other Peripherals*Software* ----- Games Linux Windows 95/98/ME/XP Windows NT4 Windows 2000 Driver Problems Video Editing Distributed Computing Other Software*Consumer Electronics* ----- Cell Phones, WAP, Mobile Internet Digital Cameras MP3 Players and Music DVD Players, Set-Top-Boxes Notebooks, Mobile Computing Other Consumer Electronics*Opinions and Experiences* ----- Computer Shops Bad Support / Hotlines Faulty Products*Other* ----- Other Polls Classifieds

More about : slow boot

September 29, 2001 7:37:29 PM

So, does it take a long time for the POST to complete, or does it take a long time for Windows itself to boot?

Have you installed the latest BIOS and mobo drivers? Have you installed the latest drivers for your UDMA controller?

In order to isolate the problem, try running your system with just the HD on the board's integrated IDE chain. If it boots quicker, then maybe there's something to do with your Promise controller. I don't really know for sure, but these are a few ideas.

Good luck.

-DOOM
"Ultimately, there is no knowledge -- only belief."
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 30, 2001 5:41:02 PM

Thanks Doom I'll give your suggestions a try. Somebody else mentioned that it might be the controller, I'll direct my efforts in that direction. Thanks again....
Related resources
October 1, 2001 4:42:03 AM

might not be anything on your system at all.... if you've checked all of your hardware and updated your bios just try to install a newer os. I had windows 98 and i changed to ME on the same system. Bootup time was cut in half.

Nice people are kool...Mean people just suck :lol: 
October 2, 2001 10:02:18 AM

Try not to connect many devices to the onboard promise controller. Damn! Damn those nasty promise chipsets for ultra-slow device init processes. Try buy an Highpoint controller and plug all your drives to the controller. I have a MSI K7T Turbo and I didnt connect anything to the on board promise chip. I have tried, can you imagine jsut to poll one hdd, Quantum LM took nearly 10 seconds??!!!!!

Avoid the promise at all cost. Maybe you can stick a hdd to it but try not to plug all in it. Never BIOS might solve the problem, but so far I haven't got any luck.
!