Windows Desktop Disappears

okay, so i started having this problem where if i rightclick on any of the
icons on my desktop (except folders and the microsoft word icon for some
reason) everyting disappears from my screen except for the background
(somewhat like ending the explorer.exe process manually) it all comes back
though... I tried a system restore which didn't help, I also tried restarting
my computer in safe-mode, and the SAME THING HAPPENED! that can't be good...
any help would be GREAT as this is really scaring me that my computer might
be SCREWED up.

Thanks

Chris.
10 answers Last reply
More about windows desktop disappears

    Can you check the Event Logs for any errors that occur @ the same time?

    Look in both SYSTEM & APPLICATION.

    *
    My name is Craig & I'm from the Microsoft Setup Team

    Search our Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx

    Visit the Windows 2000 Homepage at
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/default.asp

    See the Windows NT Homepage at
    http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/

    NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me. This allows
    others to add to and benefit from these threads and also helps to ensure a
    more timely response. Thank you!

    This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either expressed or
    implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
    merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.

    The views and opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting are mine and do
    not necessarily express or reflect the views and / or opinions of
    Microsoft.
    **

    ok, i right clicked an icon, looked at the time then checked the event
    viewer.

    Under application, there was an error the source was WMIAdapter event ID :
    4099, and then the description: "Open of service failed"
    hope that tells you something!!

    Chris.

    Can you execute a clean reboot, then check for WARNINGS & ERRORS in the
    SYSTEM & APPLICATION Event logs please.

    Do we see anything fail when the system is booting up?

    What is the OS? Pro or Home?

    What service pack is installed?

    How far back did you go with the System Restore?

    *
    My name is Craig & I'm from the Microsoft Setup Team

    Search our Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx

    Visit the Windows 2000 Homepage at
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/default.asp

    See the Windows NT Homepage at
    http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/

    NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me. This allows
    others to add to and benefit from these threads and also helps to ensure a
    more timely response. Thank you!

    This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either expressed or
    implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
    merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.

    The views and opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting are mine and do
    not necessarily express or reflect the views and / or opinions of
    Microsoft.
    **

    ok, well I have Windows XP pro, I went back like 2 days in the system restore
    and still got the same problem. Then, after consistently getting this
    problem, i tried to restore again and i had no more restore points.... I have
    service pack 1 because service pack 2 screws things up even worse.. (mind you
    i had tried service pack 2 previously so im sure its not something to do with
    this) Ill do a fresh reboot, but are am i looking for error logs right after
    i startup or right after i startup and then do the right click thing?

    Thanks

    We're looking for errors that occur after the reboot and you login into the
    desktop.

    1. Reboot

    3. Wait 2 minutes

    4. Check Event logs for errors.

    I think 2 minutes should be more than enough time to pass to see that all
    required services startup.

    One option you can try is to re-install SP1 again as well.

    *
    My name is Craig & I'm from the Microsoft Setup Team

    Search our Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx

    Visit the Windows 2000 Homepage at
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/default.asp

    See the Windows NT Homepage at
    http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/

    NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me. This allows
    others to add to and benefit from these threads and also helps to ensure a
    more timely response. Thank you!

    This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either expressed or
    implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
    merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.

    The views and opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting are mine and do
    not necessarily express or reflect the views and / or opinions of
    Microsoft.
    **

    I looked for errors about 5 minutes after re-booting, there was nothing. I'm
    about to try repairing windows with sfc /scannow in CMD. I'll also try to
    re-install SP1.

    Chris.

    Well Craig,
    I shoulda never tried to re-install SP1. I tried, i got an atapi error
    (saying it was being used by something else ) So i stop the installation,
    then i restart. While restarting i get a Blue screen of death.... about the
    nv4_disp.dll file. So, previously when i had this i updated my BIOS. So i
    update my bios.... well i still get the same thing. So i find out what the
    atapi error is, i boot into safe mode, fix that, then reinstall SP1. All
    goes dandy doo darling, then i restart expecting it to all restart. Well,
    previously when the i got the nv4 BSOD, i would actually get the win xp pro
    logo screen, now, just after the POST i just get a plain BSOD with no driver
    that says:

    STOP: 0x0000007b (0xF78CE640, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

    okay, i know those ending numbers stand for something, as in "7b" if you can
    help with that it'd be great. I'm thinking of re-installing windows XP
    without formattting, I HAVE SO MUCH STUFF ON THIS COMPUTER. How much will
    actually be lost if i try and reinstall without formatting? Also, how would
    i go about doing that? Thank you very much

    If at all possible, could you send the response to my e mail:

    Chrisab508@aol.com

    thank you

    Chris.

    What are your results from the reinstall?

    *
    Craig
    Microsoft Setup Team

    Search our Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx

    Visit the Windows 2000 Homepage at
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/default.asp

    See the Windows NT Homepage at
    http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/

    NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me. This allows
    others to add to and benefit from these threads and also helps to ensure a
    more timely response. Thank you!

    This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either expressed or
    implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
    merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.

    The views and opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting are mine and do
    not necessarily express or reflect the views and / or opinions of
    Microsoft.
    **
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    My results from the reinstall were:

[...]

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Sorry, I am not able to respond to via email.

    You can do a REPAIR or a PARALLEL installation.

    Here are 2 links you can follow. I would start with the repair first. If that still fails us, then go on to the PARALLEL

    *courtesy of Michael Stevens [MVP]

    How to install or upgrade to Windows XP
    note: go to "Install Windows XP to a new folder", this is called a Parallel installation.

    In both cases, any data you have saved will not be lost. You may need to reinstall previous hotfixes and 3rd party applications.

    Craig
    Microsoft Setup Team

    Search our Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx

    Visit the Windows 2000 Homepage at
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/default.asp

    See the Windows NT Homepage at
    http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/

    NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me. This allows
    others to add to and benefit from these threads and also helps to ensure a
    more timely response. Thank you!

    This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either expressed or
    implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
    merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.

    The views and opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting are mine and do
    not necessarily express or reflect the views and / or opinions of Microsoft.

Desktops Windows XP