As one of many steps to try solving various problems on my XP SP1 PC
(probably caused by installation then uninstall of SP2), I booted to
Safe Mode and ran the Component Console, i.e. Run > dcomcnfg.exe

When I expand the Component System line, then click the Computers
line, it closes unceremoniously. In Event Viewer and elsewhere, I was
able to get these messages:

Event Viewer COM+
The run-time environment was unable to initialize for transactions
required to support transactional components. Make sure that MS-DTC is
running. (DtcGetTransactionManagerEx(): hr = 0x8004d01b)
====================
The run-time environment has detected an inconsistency in its internal
state. This indicates a potential instability in the process that
could be caused by the custom components running in the COM+
application, the components they make use of, or other factors. Error
in d:\nt_qxp\com\com1x\src\comsvcs\package\cpackage.cpp(1184), hr =
8007043c: InitEventCollector failed
====================
The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal
processing. HRESULT was 8007043C from line 44 of
d:\nt_qxp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please
contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

Do these mean anything to anyone here please? They are meaningless to
me, although obviously they look serious.

Strangely, if I reboot back to my normal account (which has
administrator status), I can click the Computers entry without getting
that crash.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Terry,

You have been posting here long enough to have read about the desirability
of using a disk imaging application. Why don't you begin to use one, BEFORE
you make changes to your operating system.

As an example, I imaged my drive C "prior" to removing Norton AntiVirus 2004
and installing AntiVirus 2005. I had a glitch during the install. It took me
5 minutes to get back to where I was, prior to beginning the procedure. On
the 2nd try, everything went fine!

Suggest you use the same (-:

--

Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Terry,
>
>You have been posting here long enough to have read about the desirability
>of using a disk imaging application. Why don't you begin to use one, BEFORE
>you make changes to your operating system.
>
>As an example, I imaged my drive C "prior" to removing Norton AntiVirus 2004
>and installing AntiVirus 2005. I had a glitch during the install. It took me
>5 minutes to get back to where I was, prior to beginning the procedure. On
>the 2nd try, everything went fine!
>
>Suggest you use the same (-:

What made you think I don't, when occasion warrants?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK