Sign in with
Your question

New System Lag

Last response: in Video Games
October 11, 2011 2:27:45 AM

I just built a new PC last Monday. I will list my specs. below. Things have been at a choppy start but I feel all is going well. I only have Win 7 32 bit at the moment. So I can only use 3 gb :(  So the last 2 days I have been noticing some weird lag. It gets back enough that I am forced to shut down. Then upon rebooting it seems fine. It can be while doing general tasks or gaming. Even right clicking has a 10 second delay to show menus. This is only after the computer has been up and running for a few hours. I will rule out something that I have done to stop those of you who are quick to ask if I have updated the graphics drivers -.-

-Updated drivers to the BF3 beta drivers
-card and cpu are watercooled. (NOT a heat issue. 36 C core tempts/49 C tops in maxed games)
-Power supply is massive.
-While gaming I only have steam running
-New hardware. No dust buildup to speak of.
-Gaming is not online (not server lag)

The thing that bothered me enough to post here was tonight's incident. I was doing homework for roughly 4 hours on my laptop. I had lastfm playing on my desktop. Once homework was finished I closed lastfm and launched mafia 2. Changed no settings and jumped into my story mode. Instantly noticed bad performance. I started up fraps. It showed that I was getting 34-40 fps. Then I windowed the game and came back, where I saw 60 constant frames. This lasted about a minute, then suddenly 25 constant. Last night I played this game for close to 3 hours with the same settings. And it never dropped below 55. I have a keen eye for frame rate. I just wanted to know if there were any experts out there with some insight on why this could be happening. My only suspicion would be the ram issue. Windows read that I only have about 1.3 Gb free. Here are the Specs. and thank you.

Case: Antec Lanboy Air Blue
Motherboard: MSI 990FXA-GD80 (for the AM3 and dual 16x PCIe)
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
Video Card: PNY XLR8 GTX580 VGA+CPU water Cooled Edition
Power Supply: Kingwin Mach 1 1220 Watt
Memory: Corsair Vengence 16Gb DDR3 1600 (blue)
SSD: Corsair 60Gb
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1 Tb 7200RPM 6Gb/s

More about : system lag

October 11, 2011 6:55:03 PM

Have you scanned for viruses?
October 11, 2011 7:56:10 PM

your system decided to use 14 gigs? either a program didnt timeout properly, or something on your system has a memory leak. where it just keeps taking chunks of memory then not returning them to the memory pool so it can be used again.
to see if this is common run the programs you had up at the time and look at task manager to see what is chewing through your memory. you may want to try an app called process explorer. as it gives more depth.
Related resources
October 11, 2011 11:24:39 PM

why get 16gb of ram and put 32bit windows on there?

put 64bit on then see if you still have problems
October 12, 2011 4:14:02 AM

The only copy of 64-bit I could get from my school was SP1. Which for some reason crashes to blue screen at the start of the installation. Trust me, I am looking everywhere for a regular 64-bit copy.

I just installed Mass Effect 2 today. After playing for about 2 hours, I have to say that I think it may just be Mafia 2. (memory leak). Fraps is reading a solid 60 FPS with maxed settings in Mass Effect 2.
October 12, 2011 9:19:00 AM

My friend had similar issues with an MSI 990 board, a bios update corrected the poor performance.

That was on a GD-65, not sure if the same fault applies to the GD-80.
October 12, 2011 9:28:32 AM

lulz i didnt see you only have win7 32 installed... if thats the case check your pagefile size... it may be much bigger than 4.5 gigs. if so reduce it down to 1.5 x's the size of your physical addressable ram... it should be set to around 4.25gig and no more
when you get the 16gig working you will only need a 6 gig pagefile so dont let it self set to 24gig
!