Sign in with
Your question

Lost XP Appearance

Last response: in Windows XP
June 3, 2005 9:23:13 AM

Hi

In the Last Week i have had lots of trojan/viruses on my pc.
After following advice given here .

http://www.techsupportforum.com/showthread.php?p=272649....

My viruses appear to be gone'however my Windows appearance has changed to Classic Windows and no matter how i change the appearance in the settings it still has that classic look and not the XP look.

Any ideas how to restore this?

Thanx

More about : lost appearance

June 3, 2005 9:38:47 AM

Odd. Try downloading a program called WIndowBlinds and see if you can change the theme from there.

June 3, 2005 12:31:08 PM

did you try and check your performance settings?

Right click on my computer > select properties > Advanced

Under "Performance" click settings and make sure that all the options are checked (for least performance, best visuals)

Hope this helps.
Related resources
June 3, 2005 12:45:51 PM

If that was the case, he would still over-ride that when he tried setting the style again.

June 3, 2005 8:53:06 PM

Might be a long shot, but try using <i>System Restore</i> to go back to an earlier date.

June 3, 2005 9:01:35 PM

Which could also bring back that beloved virus.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
June 3, 2005 9:04:02 PM

...only if the antivirus software used did not touch the system restore files.

SO, just to be sure, you should Turn OFF System Restore, run another antivirus scan to completion, then turn ON System Restore. Finally, restore back to an earlier date.

June 4, 2005 6:18:44 AM

If you turn off system restore, then turn it back on you lose all saved restore points.

Instead, restore to an earlier time prior to the virus takeover THEN turn off system restore. Do a complete scan with current virus defs THEN turn system restore back on.

<b><i>Powered by <font color=blue>V</font color=blue><font color=purple>E</font color=purple><font color=red>R</font color=red><font color=purple>T</font color=purple><font color=blue>O</font color=blue></b>
Fueled by <b><font color=blue>CL-</font color=blue><font color=red>ONE</font color=red></b>
June 4, 2005 12:29:07 PM

Go to control panel then:
Click SYSTEM
CLICK Advanced
Under PERFORMANCE click SETTINGS
Mark the box that says LET WINDOWS DECIDE WHATS BEST FOR MY SYSTEM or the box that says FOR BEST APEARANCE.
Be sure to apply then click OK and your done.

If I were you I would choose the one that lets windows decide. Its the default.

Intel P4 550(3.4)@<font color=green>5Ghz</font color=green>
Asus P5AD2-E-Premium
Crucial Ballistix DDR2 667@<font color=red>DDR2 800<font color=red> DDR2 855 using 3.73EE<font color=red>
TT 680W PSU
June 4, 2005 12:59:29 PM

Read above posts!

June 4, 2005 4:13:27 PM

I did, but I wasnt totally convinced that ckecking the indivdual boxes would enable all of the XP eye candy. If doing it the way I described doesnt do the trick then it comes down to either right clicking on the desktop and clicking properties then clicking the Appearence tab Then clicking the down arrow under WINDOWS AND BUTTONS and then choosing WINDOWS XP STYLE.

Guess what, thats what it is. THe other option is CLASSIC which can still be run even if all the boxes are checked.

Asus P5AD2-E-Premium
Crucial Ballistix DDR2 667@<font color=red>DDR2 800<font color=red> DDR2 855 using 3.73EE<font color=red>
TT 680W PSU
June 4, 2005 6:07:56 PM

He says he has tried setting the XP style the normal way. Anyway, he hasn't bothered to reply yet so who knows.

June 4, 2005 6:23:37 PM

heh he... maybe after losing xp appearance, it soon thereafter lost functianality...

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
June 4, 2005 9:37:54 PM

lol.

June 5, 2005 5:22:23 AM

Well sorta. Ive been using SERVICES.MSG to shut down non-critical windows crap. This is one of the reasons I got my bench numbers up. After a fresh boot im usually around 85-90MB PF usage.

Asus P5AD2-E-Premium
TT 680W PSU
June 6, 2005 6:55:41 PM

Good point. Thanks for the heads-up.