Sign in with
Your question

Battlefield 3 Impression Thread

Last response: in Video Games
October 11, 2011 11:00:21 PM

Alright, I figure such an important or popular game deserves it's own thread, and all of you guys deserve a place
to post your opinions of it. Post gripes, loves, hates, bugs, etc you noticed or felt while playing the Battlefield 3 Open/Closed Beta (or Alpha for that matter)

My Opinion:
: I played the alpha for the full time it was available, and it persuaded me not to preorder the game. I didn't like
the feel of it, the look, or the general game mechanics. Then the beta was released, I still hadn't pre-ordered it, so I had
to wait 2 (?) days after the release of the closed beta, for the open one. Initially, I hated it as much as the alpha. It was nothing
in particular. To me though, it just FELT like I was playing Black Ops. I couldn't put my finger on it, but the movement, the look,
the enviroment, it all felt very CoD-esque to me. But after playing it for a day or so, I began to enjoy it, and by the time the beta ended
I was at rank/level 32, so I had a sizeable amount of game time in already to get a feel for the game.

:: So in short, it's very evident (to me, at least) that the people coding this game knew they had to appeal to the Call of Duty
community for this game to not flop, or just to increase is success. Many might disagree, but they DID implement a few popular aspects
of CoD so that it would appeal to that community along with all the "hardcore BF veterans". Instead of sustaining the line between
the two communities, this game felt like an attempt to blur it, and interest everyone who enjoys First Person Shooters.

So thats my take, how about yours?
October 11, 2011 11:48:47 PM

Played the beta for a bit on and off, got to rank 16. Had a blast!
There were a few glitches while playing, such as falling into the floor or screen flickering, but nothing that greatly impacted gameplay.

I've spent quite a bit of time playing Black Ops, being my first CoD game played online, and while it has some similarities it's a very different game to BF3.
BOps is more of a close quarters, fast paced shoot em up, while BF3 tends to be more tactical, team based shooter. In both games I usually resort to playing a recon/sniper class, swapping to close range weapons when necessary. With net code being a bit buggy at the moment it definitely did feel like hard core mode, 100% to 0% in one shot (or what seemed like one shot).

I think with the proper release people will get a taste of different maps and gameplay modes, which will further differentiate BF3 from the likes of CoD. Thankfully...
m
l
October 11, 2011 11:58:45 PM

arael said:
Played the beta for a bit on and off, got to rank 16. Had a blast!
There were a few glitches while playing, such as falling into the floor or screen flickering, but nothing that greatly impacted gameplay.

I've spent quite a bit of time playing Black Ops, being my first CoD game played online, and while it has some similarities it's a very different game to BF3.
BOps is more of a close quarters, fast paced shoot em up, while BF3 tends to be more tactical, team based shooter. In both games I usually resort to playing a recon/sniper class, swapping to close range weapons when necessary. With net code being a bit buggy at the moment it definitely did feel like hard core mode, 100% to 0% in one shot (or what seemed like one shot).

I think with the proper release people will get a taste of different maps and gameplay modes, which will further differentiate BF3 from the likes of CoD. Thankfully...

Can't say I disagree with any of that. Thanks for reminding me though, a point I forgot to bring up, was the teamwork part.
In BF2, for example, it was a given then you didnt run off on your own, there was that implied sense of necessary teamplay.
In this game, what might have given me that CoD impression was the fact that there was no teamwork. Besides a squad or two staying within 20 feet of eachother, it was a free for all. This could have been because of the fact that they just straight up left out
squad management from the beta, or it was just the beta mindset and no one was playing it like people who have been a part
of the Battlefield series, would expect it to be played.
m
l
Related resources
October 12, 2011 12:05:29 AM

Yeah, wasn't much squad/team work in the beta, but I'm expecting there to be some in the release version.

VOIP will definitely help here, and when people get around to forming clans. I was a member of TOG when I played BC2, used to jump on Vent with some of the guys and mess around ingame.

In the beta I tried to work with my team; Holding down an area as best I could as sniper support, or providing a good spawn point with the deployment device. Definitely failed if you try to run off on your own, unless you get lucky.

My second last game I had a lucky streak at the end. Enemy were up to the 3rd lot of MCOM's, trying to push the hallway near B, while I was covering the escalators near A with a UMP-45. Killed a few coming up, noticed team mates dying near B so ran down and around the subway coming up behind the enemy. Took out about 10 of them from behind, did a complete loop and killed some more just as the game ended :) 

Gotta love those games where you get streaks!
m
l
October 12, 2011 1:41:56 AM

The game looks good and infantry combat seemed fine, but wtf have they done to heli physics?. They are awful, Why not use something similar to bf2 rather than bfbc2. It is supposed to be a sequel to bf2 but the heli feels more like a bfbc game :( 
m
l
October 12, 2011 1:47:15 AM

chrisk_uk said:
The game looks good and infantry combat seemed fine, but wtf have they done to heli physics?. They are awful, Why not use something similar to bf2 rather than bfbc2. It is supposed to be a sequel to bf2 but the heli feels more like a bfbc game :( 

Personally, I loved the heli physics in BC2, I was a damn good pilot in BC2, just because I did it so much lol BF2, not so much the same, but I would be happy with either.
m
l
October 12, 2011 2:57:56 AM

I was in both alpha and beta, I had an absolute blast. I played all the classes and found them all enjoyable. One thing I love that they did was make the noob tube and rocket launcher completely non effective from 50ft and closer. All the Gustav campers/snipers from BFBC2 are going to hate this change but it makes sense. My fav was by far the assault class, with med packs, kind of overpowered but o well its fun. Engineer and sniper were equal with me and support I felt was ok ...... they need to be "buffed" a little I feel. But all in all I loved it, was a nice place away from CoD.

That being said I for one am psyched that this game is getting its much deserved hype. People I work with are like o man i was watching Monday night football and saw that battlefield game, you're right it looks sick! I saw the new commercial for CoD and ......it looks like the same thing from the past 3 years. I am over CoD and hopefully BF is the new king of the hill so at the very least the CoD series will have to try harder/adapt and put together a good product instead of their rehashed reskinned garbage.
m
l
October 12, 2011 2:20:40 PM

I only played about 7 hrs in Beta almost all as assault and am 50/50 about whether IMHO this will be a success.

I like the look and feel of the game, and the balance seems to be OK. Assault was a strong class on Metro but then hey it's a Rush map through confined areas (once inside) with no vehicles so actually it's not really OP, it's just the most appropriate class for the map. I ran out of ammo a few times so support has it's place (stand fast that I couldn't get the support in my squad to lay a crate due to no VOIP...). Never really sure of the merits of engineers in urban maps aside from blowing holes in buildings so they should be a little lost in that setting.

Caspian I didn't really get into, couldn't get my joystick configured to fly the jets and never got in a heli so cant comment on the vehicles, didn't feel OP as an assault as I hid from the vehicles and it was a bit of a hump between checkpoints but not far enough for me to just sit at a dormant checkpoint doing nothing.

I like that as assault I have to choose between the medpack and the grenade launcher. You can see the need to have a squad containing a mix of support, assault with medpacks and assault with grenade launchers

If they fix the squad management and implement some form of in game VOIP (you HAVE to be able to communicate with the random person in your squad who isn't your friend) then I think it could be great.

Without the squadplay element I think it will be average at best, and frustrating to those of us who are used to commnuicating and coordinating with our team members

I really hope it is good though
m
l
October 12, 2011 3:28:06 PM

I haven't played alpha nor beta, but the game does seem really fun. Caspian border seems like the publics' most favorite map...
m
l
October 12, 2011 5:05:30 PM

Caspian Border was so much more fun than Operation Metro.
I never even got into a Hornet or a Heli and I still had just a fantastic time.
Operation Metro on Rush is something I will be avoiding for as long as I play this game. cant wait to play Karkand again it should work out well for this game I would think.
m
l
October 13, 2011 12:20:38 AM

envymert said:
I was in both alpha and beta, I had an absolute blast. I played all the classes and found them all enjoyable. One thing I love that they did was make the noob tube and rocket launcher completely non effective from 50ft and closer. All the Gustav campers/snipers from BFBC2 are going to hate this change but it makes sense. My fav was by far the assault class, with med packs, kind of overpowered but o well its fun. Engineer and sniper were equal with me and support I felt was ok ...... they need to be "buffed" a little I feel. But all in all I loved it, was a nice place away from CoD.

That being said I for one am psyched that this game is getting its much deserved hype. People I work with are like o man i was watching Monday night football and saw that battlefield game, you're right it looks sick! I saw the new commercial for CoD and ......it looks like the same thing from the past 3 years. I am over CoD and hopefully BF is the new king of the hill so at the very least the CoD series will have to try harder/adapt and put together a good product instead of their rehashed reskinned garbage.

Like two days into the beta, it became a known and accepted bug that there was literally no splash damage on any explosives but the frag grenade.
Well, not a bug but it was among the official list of things that they acknowledging F'ing up in the beta haha So as annoying as it was,
I did realize that it would be fixed.
m
l
October 14, 2011 3:19:02 AM

Ignoring the bugs and weird web-based frontend that I don't expect to be a part of the final product, I thought the game was pretty good. It is primarily what I expected it to be in terms of gameplay, a merging of BF2 and Bad Company 2 mechanics. This is not a bad thing because I strongly enjoy both games. I think this game will be a success and more importantly I think this game engine will be a success and hopefully the platform for at least 1 more epic shooter.

I do notice a lot of the battlefield veterans hating on the rush games, but I've been battlefield games since bf1942 came out and I think if people stop worrying how similar or dissimilar rush mode is to call of duty or MOH, they might have a lot of fun. Who doesn't like to run and gun sometimes?
m
l
October 14, 2011 4:25:37 PM

I played the Alpha and the Beta. I am in love with this game!! I have never had so much fun in a MP game! I never really played BF2 or BC2 MP. I've always been hooked on COD MP. After playing BF3 though, I could care less about COD anymore. MW3?? Whats that? Oh, the same outdated graphics engine? I know graphics don't make a game good, but it sure does help! COD really needs to change to be able to compete with BF3. I think we have a game changer on our hands! When I first loaded in to Caspian Border, I couldn't believe my eyes. It really was something special. I felt like I was playing something new and not the same old crap. Once COD:BO started pushing out the map packs, thats when I stopped playing. Really looking forward to the 25th! Battlefield 3 is going to be AWESOME!!
m
l
October 16, 2011 4:30:55 AM

i can't wait for the campaign, it looks so sick in the previews :) 
m
l
October 16, 2011 7:12:06 AM

admir00 said:
i can't wait for the campaign, it looks so sick in the previews :) 

Thats something I feel is lacking in some of these games. COD campaign is usually a joke. Admittedly the last one I played was modern warfare...But I do not remember it, its as if I never played it :p 

we all remember goldeneye, PD, freespace 2 ect (interesting variety there)

campaign is nice :D 
m
l
October 16, 2011 8:04:38 AM

nocturnal7x said:
Thats something I feel is lacking in some of these games. COD campaign is usually a joke. Admittedly the last one I played was modern warfare...But I do not remember it, its as if I never played it :p 

we all remember goldeneye, PD, freespace 2 ect (interesting variety there)

campaign is nice :D 

Freespace 2... yes, THAT is a good game, good old space sims...
m
l
!