Slow user Logon and frozen taskbar - Take 2!

October 19, 2004 1:55:01 PM

I have posted this before and got one comment from MowGreen. the problem
still persists despite doing everything that has been suggested ... virus
check, scan, hijack this...et.c this is the problem:

After installing SP2, it takes aboout 10 mins! (Yes, 10 mins) to log in from
the user screen into Window. Then, it is completely unusable because the
taskbar is frozen for about 20 mins! if you mouse over it, there is an
hourglass. Nothing works at this time. When i do a ctl, alt del and log out
then log right back in, sometimes it frees up the taskbar, but system runs
very slow. ...

before you suggest i run hijackthis,CWShredder, spybot, adAware, toolbar
cop, antivirus scan, defrag, selectively load services etc... I have done all
that. It still takes me 20 mins to log into my user account to use my PC. I
have found one or two posts about this and no solution. Is there anyone who
can help? ????

Thanks
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 9:19:02 PM

Spyware/Virus Removal and Prevention:
http://www.fixyourwindows.com/windowsxpsolutions.htm
(Links to online virus scans on the same page)

How to optimize Windows XP, 2000, ME
for the best performance (Step-by-step Visual Guide):
http://www.fixyourwindows.com

Check Event Viewer (Start - > Settings -> Control Panel - > Administrative
Tools - > Event Viewer) for possible errors.

Check Device Manager for unknown/improperly installed devices.
Install/update drivers as needed.

Good Luck!
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 9:19:03 PM

P.S. Try to create a fresh user account, and see if it fixes the problem.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 10:26:59 PM

Victor

Have you looked at the System Reports in Event Viewer. Not just the
Error Reports but the sequence / timing of reports?

Make an exact note of the precise text of any error message. Minor
discrepancies can
make it harder to search for information about the error message.

You can access Event Viewer by selecting Start, Administrative Tools,
Event Viewer.
When researching the meaning of the error, information regarding Event
ID, Source
and Description are important.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427&Product=winxp

Part of the Description of the error will include a link, which you
should double click
for further information and you can copy using copy and paste.
http://go.microsoft.com/fw.link/events.asp
(Please note the hyperlink above is for illustration purposes only)

A tip for posting copies of Error Reports! Run Event Viewer and double
click on the
error you want to copy. In the window, which appears is a button
resembling two
pages. Double click the button and close Event Viewer. Now start your
message
(email) and do a paste into the body of the message. This will paste the
info from the
Event Viewer Error Report complete with links into the message. Make
sure this is
the first paste after exiting from Event Viewer.

In Event Viewer there is no facility to print Error Reports. A
workaround is copy and
paste the Error Report into an email, send it to yourself and print off
the copy in your
Inbox or your Sent Items folder.

--

~~~~~~

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Victor" <Victor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have posted this before and got one comment from MowGreen. the
>problem
> still persists despite doing everything that has been suggested ...
> virus
> check, scan, hijack this...et.c this is the problem:
>
> After installing SP2, it takes aboout 10 mins! (Yes, 10 mins) to log
> in from
> the user screen into Window. Then, it is completely unusable because
> the
> taskbar is frozen for about 20 mins! if you mouse over it, there is an
> hourglass. Nothing works at this time. When i do a ctl, alt del and
> log out
> then log right back in, sometimes it frees up the taskbar, but system
> runs
> very slow. ...
>
> before you suggest i run hijackthis,CWShredder, spybot, adAware,
> toolbar
> cop, antivirus scan, defrag, selectively load services etc... I have
> done all
> that. It still takes me 20 mins to log into my user account to use my
> PC. I
> have found one or two posts about this and no solution. Is there
> anyone who
> can help? ????
>
> Thanks

October 19, 2004 10:27:00 PM

Hi Gerry:

I will look at the event viewer this evening. Anyidea what might be causing
this?

Did anyone find a fix to slow user logon issues?

Victor

"Gerry Cornell" wrote:

> [...]
> > in from
> > the user screen into Window. Then, it is completely unusable because
> > the
> > taskbar is frozen for about 20 mins! if you mouse over it, there is an
> > hourglass. Nothing works at this time. When i do a ctl, alt del and
> > log out
> > then log right back in, sometimes it frees up the taskbar, but system
> > runs
> > very slow. ...
> >
> > before you suggest i run hijackthis,CWShredder, spybot, adAware,
> > toolbar
> > cop, antivirus scan, defrag, selectively load services etc... I have
> > done all
> > that. It still takes me 20 mins to log into my user account to use my
> > PC. I
> > have found one or two posts about this and no solution. Is there

Anonymous
October 19, 2004 10:27:01 PM

Slow logon can be caused by any number of reasons. Gerry has the best
solution, since Event Viewer provides more specific information about
problems.
--
Ted Zieglar

!