Windows Task Manager

What minimum applications should be running in the task manager? I have
msys.exe that runs all the time and takes up 70% of the cpu usage. Another
file, cvhost.exe seems to us quite alot also. Any thoughts on what apps can
be killed here and possibly permentantly unavailable?
2 answers Last reply
More about windows task manager

    You don't need to worry about minimum applications. You have other problems
    to worry about.

    Name msys lptt01
    Command msys.exe
    Description New variant of the RapidBlaster parasite (in a "Msyss" folder in
    Program Files). It is not recommended you manually uninstall RapidBlaster
    but use RapidBlaster Killer - see here>>>
    http://www.wilderssecurity.net/specialinfo/rapidblaster.html

    cvhost.exe
    W32.HLLW.Gaobot.AO
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.hllw.gaobot.ao.html

    +++++

    If you don't have XP SP2 turn on a firewall *NOW*.

    HOW TO: Enable or Disable Internet Connection Firewall in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;283673

    +++++

    Update your anti virus software and run a full system scan.

    Free online virus scans:

    Trend Micro - Free online virus Scan

    Panda ActiveScan - Free online scanner

    BitDefender Free Online Virus Scan

    Get Your AVG for free!
    http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:D1D9FF15-D67A-42B1-B32D-346EFB42938B@microsoft.com,
    Darin <Darin@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

    On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 15:19:02 -0700, "Darin" <Darin@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote:

    >What minimum applications should be running in the task manager? I have
    >msys.exe that runs all the time and takes up 70% of the cpu usage. Another
    >file, cvhost.exe seems to us quite alot also. Any thoughts on what apps can
    >be killed here and possibly permentantly unavailable?

    Darin,

    The best way to identify what tasks should be running would be for you to run
    HijackThis, and get expert advice (see below). But first do some preliminary
    cleanup!

    The "msys.exe" may be RapidBlaster, a noxious parasite.
    <http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php?filter=msys.exe>

    Is "cvhost.exe" actually "scvhost.exe"?
    <http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php?filter=cvhost.exe>

    Start by downloading each of the following free tools:
    AdAware <http://www.lavasoftusa.com/>
    CWShredder <http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4086.html>
    HijackThis <http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3155>
    LSP-Fix and WinsockXPFix <http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm>
    RapidBlaster Killer
    <http://www.wilderssecurity.net/specialinfo/rapidblaster.html>
    Spybot S&D <http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download>
    Stinger <http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=stinger>

    Create a separate folder for HijackThis, such as C:\HijackThis - copy the
    downloaded file there. AdAware, CWShredder, and Spybot S&D have install
    routines - run them. The other downloaded programs can be copied into, and run
    from, any convenient folder.

    First, run Stinger. Have it remove any problems found.

    Next, close all Internet Explorer and Outlook windows, and run CWShredder. Have
    it fix all problems found.

    Run RapidBlaster Killer.

    Next, run AdAware. First update it ("Check for updates now"), configure for
    full scan (<http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=5877>), then scan. When
    scanning finishes, remove all Critical Objects found.

    Next, run Spybot S&D. First update it ("Search for updates"), then run a scan
    ("Check for problems"). Trust Spybot, and delete everything ("Fix Problems")
    that is displayed in Red.

    Then, run HijackThis ("Scan"). Do NOT make any changes immediately. Save the
    HJT Log.
    <http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showtopic=227>
    <http://www1.spywareinfo.com/articles/hijacked/prevent.php>

    Finally, have your HJT log interpreted by experts at one or more of the
    following security forums (and please post a link to your forum posts, here):
    Aumha: <http://forum.aumha.org/index.php>
    Net-Integration: <http://forums.net-integration.net/>
    Spyware Info: <http://forums.spywareinfo.com/>
    Spyware Warrior: <http://spywarewarrior.com/index.php>
    Tom Coyote: <http://forums.tomcoyote.org/>

    If removal of any spyware affects your ability to access the internet (some
    spyware builds itself into the network software, and its removal may damage your
    network), run LSP-Fix and / or WinsockXPFIx.

    Finally, improve your chances for the future.

    Harden your browser. There are various websites which will check for
    vulnerabilities, here are three which I use.
    http://www.jasons-toolbox.com/BrowserSecurity/
    http://bcheck.scanit.be/bcheck/
    https://testzone.secunia.com/browser_checker/

    Block Internet Explorer ActiveX scripting from hostile websites (Restricted
    Zone).
    <https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/main.htm> (IE-SpyAd)

    Block known dangerous scripts from installing.
    <http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html>

    Block known spyware from installing.
    <http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html>

    Make sure that the spyware detection / protection products that you use are
    reliable:

    Harden your operating system. Check at least monthly for security updates.
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

    Block possibly dangerous websites with a Hosts file. Three Hosts file sources I
    use:
    http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/get_hosts.html
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    (The third is included, and updated, with Spybot (see above)).

    Maintain your Hosts file (merge / eliminate duplicate entries) with:
    eDexter <http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/get_hosts.html>
    Hostess <http://accs-net.com/hostess/>

    Secure your operating system, and applications. Don't use, or leave activated,
    any accounts with names or passwords with trivial (guessable) values. Don't use
    an account with administrative authority, except when you're intentionally doing
    administrative tasks.

    Use common sense. Yours. Don't install software based upon advice from unknown
    sources. Don't install free software, without researching it carefully. Don't
    open email unless you know who it's from, and how and why it was sent.

    Educate yourself. Know what the risks are. Stay informed. Read Usenet, and
    various web pages that discuss security problems. Check the logs from the
    security products that you use regularly, look for things that don't belong, and
    take action when necessary.

    How did I get infected in the first place?
    http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=3051
    Essential tips for infection prevention
    http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showtopic=24339

    Cheers,