Lagging in WoW

Mansterr

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
I have a Gateway DX4200-09
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883113088
I have Window 7 professional 64 bit

I have replaced the video card with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161372
I have replaced the power supply with a Corsair 750W
I have replaced the processor with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103471

I haven't replaced anything else but those 3 things. When I play wow, I lag in 25 man raids when a lot of spells are on the screen. It drops to 4-5 fps and my screen sometimes freezes. I get around 25 fps in orgrimmar when it is busy. All my settings are on low too. I just feel like I shouldn't be lagging at all, especially on all low settings, with what my computer has in it.

were you getting better performance before the upgrades?

first things first, make sure you got the latest BIOS and drivers for everything

can you verify the temperatures during your fps drops? (speed fan, hw monitor, msi afterburner etc)

One thing could be is that your ram is ddr2 it might be holding the system back

I'm not sure if it's the case for the motherboard/processor but make sure that your computer is using the 6950 and not some integrated graphics chipset.

also, do you need such a huge power supply? check the voltages on your ram/etc to make sure it's where it needs to be.

worst case I'd suggest pulling out the upgrades, put the old PSU and video card in and only keep the new CPU, check that it's working properly. Then add the new PSU, check that everything is working right. Lastly add the new GPU and check what the performance is. It's hard to say what can be bad when you've replaced so many things at the same time without verifying that each single component is working properly.

BF3man

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
Some out of date addons, which everyone seems to use as a crutch these days, can cause drops in FPS because they are inefficiently parsing data.

Two of the most common culprits are Recount and TidyPlates. Along with what others have said, make sure your addons are updated, and try playing around with them (turn on/off) to see if you can isolate the problem.

I haven't play WoW for months, but these kinds of things usually crop up when there's a patch. Has 4.3 hit already?

Mansterr

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
My temperature when it is under a lot of stress is around 65 degrees. I have updated all my drivers. I play in 1440x900 and my settings in wow is low.
Texture resolution: low
Texture filter: low
Projected texture: on
view distance: low
Environmental distance: low
Ground clutter: low
Shadow quality: low
Liquid Detail: low
Sunshaft: disabled
particle density: fair
verticle sync: on

All my addons are updated. I have xperl, recount, deadly boss mods, miksscrollingbattletext, and quartz. I don't only lag in wow, I lag in Sc2 too when it is a 4v4. My settings in starcraft 2 is about medium. 4.3 is not out yet still testing it on the ptr.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Disable V-Sync. Update drivers.

V-Sync is notorious for not adjusting the divisor for the frames to compensate for situations under 60 fps (or 90/120 depending on your monitor) and if a user dips to 40-45 fps (very realistic in a 25man raid environment even with an i7 2600k at times), can cause issues where fps are instead cut to below 10. Give this a shot and I would recommend ATI's 11.6b or 11.9 drivers. I had good experiences with warcraft with both of those drivers. Avoid 11.7 and 11.8.

Your cpu and gpu together should be good enough to average above 45 fps in 25man raids with settings ticked between medium-high-ultra (not ultra shadows though, but mostly high and ultra settings with up to 4x multisampling depending on pixel-perfect borders you may be using). I am a going on 7 year world of warcraft player, keep posting if your issue is not resolved will try to keep helping.

envymert

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
For that card .....on low settings? You might want to do a fresh install of windows. A 6950 can run the game at 1920x1080 at max settings getting 60-100 fps. I would say do driver sweeper to remove all GPU drivers. If that doesnt work a fresh install.

yeah all your stuff is compatible, I would do a fresh install of windows and then drivers. Go to gateway and dl the latest drivers for your motherboard. Only other thing I can think of is make sure all your power connectors are affixed firmly. You shouldnt be lagging in anything with those specs. =/ keep us updated

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
In WoW's case it has less to do with the card than the cpu as far as 25man raid frame drops, but his CPU should be able to handle at least 35-40 fps between medium-ultra settings. I hesitate to recommend a reformat but it's probably the most surefire way to undo whatever has happened that is causing your performance to be literally 25% of what it should be under normal circumstances.

Are you running some kind of IMAX resolution?