hunter387

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
K so I'll get this out right away, I only played the 360 beta of BF3. I have almost 500 hours in 2142 though. How does this game compare to 2142 in terms of gameplay and maps on the PC? The thing I loved about 2142 was that it required communication in squads and cooperative teamplay in general. On the 360 nearly no has a mic and everyone was just busy getting kills and not going for objectives on that horrible map Metro. I've been hearing maps are cramped on the pc as well.

Will this game be anything like 2142 or BF2 or 1942?

My friend, (I said friend because you played 2142 and aren't a COD baby)

BF2142 was, and will always be the last great Battlefield game. With the rise of COD4 it changed the whole genre of First Person Shooters and the console took over the FPS game majority. BF3 will never be great because they had to consider the console. While they may have developed the PC and console versions separately it IS the same game.

My list of things I miss from 2142:
-------------------------------------------
- Spotting: You can no longer spot where you THINK an enemy is or call out the type of unit. You have a single spot button and have to rely on the game to determine the action.

- Titan Mode: 2142 had Conquest and Titan, THAT was it. No RUSH maps that funneled players into a narrow map to be slaughtered by an incoming barrage of sniper rounds, noob tubes, rockets, and a giant peppering of automatic fire. Did 2142 even HAVE an under barrel grenade launcher? Oh wait, it had that Assault rocket add-on thingy, nevermind. That was like the FIRST noob tube.

- Commander > Squad Leader > Squad Member: Remember being the all mighty Commander? When you would camp out in a base with your SAT map and drop supplies, EMPs, Areal Bombardments, and UAV's? Not to mention order squads around and get angry when they didn't comply with your orders? Or better yet you sucked at the Commander roll and got voted off the island? Yeah, none of that in BF3. Just a yet to be determined squad management system that was not in beta. I think I saw something flash on the screen once that said "You are the squad leader". What the hell does that mean?

- Titans: It's a freaking Huge areal ship! Need I say more? Although 2142 is in the future. Bummer

- Walkers: Need I say more? Although BF3 does have some cool vehicles to play with. I have not seen a little quad yet though, but I think I did in a video so they are fun.

- Built in menus: Apparently EA thought it would be fun to make the entire game interface a giant facebook page called BattleLog. Gee thanks. We went from not being able to ALT+TAB out of 2142 without crashing, to, you MUST ALT+TAB in order to do anything outside of playing the game.

- Changing your soldiers name: Apparently my EA ID is now my Origin ID, and my Origin ID is now my BF3 soldier name. FTW EA! I created that user ID to sign into the EA site years ago, I don't want a soldier with that stupid name. I have a name that my CLAN knows me by. Way to kill my long lived gamer handle.

- Fast knifing: It now takes 2 full seconds to knife someone. Granted it is more realistic, but I could do without the small cut-scene that is now the action of knifing. I have found myself slicing at air because this action is to difficult to execute correctly . And when I do plant it correctly, I am almost instantly killed because my guy is doing his little knife dance in front of 2 dozen caffeine filled gamers ready to put my head in their cross-hairs.

- Full Map View: There is no full map view in BF3. I don't even know what the entire map looks like because when I hit the "M" button it no longer takes my mini map to a full screen, which shows me the entire battlefield. It just make my mini map bigger. I am not visually impaired, I want to see everything EA! That action is pointless to even include.

The game does look really good graphically, I think EA should have kept the essence of all the genuine battlefield games before instead of adding or taking away certain features. Just by playing BF3 you can tell they tried to add components that would entice COD players to come over to the dark side and also keep the console people happy with easy actions. Remember, consoles controllers don't have 104 key like we do, plus mouse. So they had to take the old school BF games and the COD games they are up again and meet somewhere in the middle, while at the same time keeping it easy to control for the console wienies. I will get used to it, and I will play it. Because lets face it, it is a far cry from the hordes of 12-18 year olds playing COD with the reflexes of a cheetah and the brain of a goldfish.

Hope you enjoyed my rant.

VIVA LA BATTLEFIELD 2142!

hunter387

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
lol Those elements plus a thousand more were what made 2142 so freaking awesome. The only bad thing I have to say about it is the legendary Voss-LR. Its still scarred in my memory. I think 2142 may be one of my favorite games ever made. Top 5 for sure.

hunter387

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
The Baur I didn't mind but I hated the Voss with a passion. I was always a support guy though. Got so many service badges with that kit. Loved the Ganz and the gas powered shotty. Set up a shield, turret, ammo dispenser, squad leader drone above me while waiting for people to rush the titans corridors was the best feeling in the world. Its a shame not many people play that game anymore.

OllieUK

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
2142 worked well without a commander as well. Good squad leaders would see what the other squads were doing and react accrodingly. BF3 could be great without the commander but they HAVE to put in game squad VOIP in..

Yes I miss the commo roses :(

Spawn on any squad member means less of an incentive to keep the SL alive, but helps with those choke points as you only have to get one man through alive. I remember some crazy squad rotation moves going on to make sure that the guy who got through the first part of Fall of Berlin alive became the SL for the others to spawn on, followed by a reorganise back to the original SL.

It has to have the in-game comms though, that is the make or break of it, none of this only chat with your friends through the com-centre carp that is being rumoured

hunter387

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
Never played enough of BF2 to have good opinion on it but from what I played I loved it. Like I said almost nobody on the 360 beta of BF3 had a mic so it kinda sucked. Not sure if any of you will remember this but did you guys ever play on Tactical Gamer servers on 2142? They were the best servers in the world, no joke. Nearly EVERYONE had a mic and used it. The rules were so strict but it was the most fun I had with that game.

easymark26

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010

werent those the servers where the rules stated that you couldnt run and shoot at the same time or someting ?

BF2142 wasnt without its share of problems, it was a good game, but you guys make it sound like it was the best FPS ever made... I would argue BF2 was better than 2142.

There was no point in using a mic on the BF3 beta (PS3). Match making was broken. Even when you put people in your squad, once the map loaded you were not guaranteed to be in the same squad or even the same team. The "put me in a squad" was automatically checked off.

Indeed, I thought BF2 was better then BF2142, though admittedly I didn't play much 2142.

OllieUK

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
TG Servers were pretty good but sometimes a bit tough on the ping from here in the UK. I played on the SP-ATW (Squadplay All The Way) servers and then the MG (Monkey Gamers) servers which used to be excellent while they lasted. DEFR (Dead Friends) still run a server I believe and there is a better than average use of Mic and squadplay on their server although I haven't visited it lately..

hunter387

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
hahaha awesome man! I played it a week ago and felt the same way you did. Northern Strike is free now apparently with the new update. Im gonna try and get back into it. My gamertag is Hunter387 or hunter387k. not sure which one it is lol

cappster

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
It's nice to see some other guys out there with some love for 2142. It is one of my favorite games of all time, too. I've dumped more hours into that game than I have any other in my PC gaming career which has been about 7 years so far. I might just have to jump on tonight and play a couple of rounds. My favorite was the gunship as at one time I was pretty leet at it. Love shooting down a transport ship with a bunch of noobs on it that don't jump off in time.

OllieUK

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
I've dipped back into 2142 a few times recently while waiting for BF3. Likewise it has been my favourite game with about 700 hrs played over the years (not nearly as much as some I know, but plenty for me).

I liked the gunship but preferred gunning in a transport - Transport of Doom was fun if not a little OP.

Was a bigger fan of infantry maps rather than conquest, Cerbere is a favourite although it can get a little spammy at times up the top. Both Tunis maps played nicely with no vehicles.

Hopefully BF3 will serve as a worthy replacement. It looks like the VOIP is going to be lacking but with the return of commo roses and spawn on SL only options on the server it should promote the necessay squadplay.

PlowHouse

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2012
@jay2tall:

Couldn't have said it better... FPS games will forever be COD spin offs or look a likes. It's a shame considering the great gameplay BF2, 1942, and BF 2142 have provided us over the years. To see that all come to an end like the servers now in almost all battlefield games is terrible. The one aspect I miss the most was the communication you needed to have with your team/squad to accomplish anything in the game. Run and gun got you no where and now that is the only way these games are engineered...

2142 in my opinion is a weak bf game. yes the idea was cool but after a few games i was bored and moved on... bf2 on the other handf was a much better tighter more focused experiance and is the reason it still has a good community today. 2142 on the other hand its hard to find a good match ...