Verizon smartphones now require data plans?

I should have seen it coming from earlier posts on this group that said no
new smartphones (mine is a Kyocer 7135) were being given web (not WAP)
access without a concurrent data plan. Just a couple of days ago my 1x data
access stopped working and everytime I tried to use my web browser, I kept
getting an errormessage (no DNS entry found).

I called customer service who informed me that a change in the system (she
said effective November 18, 2004) has eliminated the ability to use my
regular plan minutes for internet access. She transfered me to billing,
where (over a barrel) I signed up for the $49.99 unlimited data plan, in
addition to my Mobile Web W/100 Alerts.

The odd thing is I got my current phone in April (NIB off E-Bay) and there
was no problem on the part of customer service activating the phone and
helping me with my IP settings with only mobile web as part of my billing
profile (my old phone was a an Audiovox 9155 with a WAP browser.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? I also found out the latest PRL
switched my local tower to extended roaming through Sprint (not a problem
since I have an old Singlerate West 400 plan without roaming charges).
Maybe I should check out Sprint and get one of their deals on the Treo 650
that Verizon doesn't offer.

Thanks,
Chuck

My 7135 continues to access free data here in Eugene Oregon as of this
evening. I've been using this service for at least 4 years with my 6035
palm phone, then upgraded to the 7135. I use both circuit switched and high
speed options and just get charged minutes. If your account lacks the
feature code to use national access 1XRTT data for free, you likely can
still use circuit switched data for free.

See my web page here for more information:
http://cell.uoregon.edu/verizon/data/

-Dan

--
Eugene, Oregon -- Pacific Northwest
http://cell.uoregon.edu

Begin Charles Thistlethwaite quote:

; I called customer service who informed me that a change in the system (she
; said effective November 18, 2004) has eliminated the ability to use my
; regular plan minutes for internet access. She transfered me to billing,
; where (over a barrel) I signed up for the $49.99 unlimited data plan, in
; addition to my Mobile Web W/100 Alerts.

I think you were sold a line of bull.

I have a Kyo 7135, I've had it for 13 months, and six weeks ago changed
to an America's Choice plan. I last used it for data (web browse)
three days ago with no problems. I had switched from a NationalAccess
plan in order to save some money.

If you truly cannot use an AC plan for data in your area (unlikely,
think), then get a NationalAccess plan. It's more than an AC, but less
than AC plus the bogus "unlimited data" add-on. That only makes sense
if you are using data long enough to eat up all your regular minutes.

; Has anyone else had a similar experience? I also found out the latest PRL

Actually, yes. I had tried to switch to an AC plan earlier in the
year, but was unable to get the data use working, getting connection
errors trying to use a browser.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"Do you people *practice* being vague?" - Jack O'Neill, SG1

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 17:36:15 GMT, Charles Thistlethwaite wrote:

> I called customer service who informed me that a change in the system (she
> said effective November 18, 2004) has eliminated the ability to use my
> regular plan minutes for internet access. She transfered me to billing,
> where (over a barrel) I signed up for the $49.99 unlimited data plan, in
> addition to my Mobile Web W/100 Alerts.

Call 611 and tell them you want it added so you "can download GIN faster".
Don't mention you want to use it for internet access, because that confuses
most CSRs and they will tell you you need the pay plan.