Help putting my comp together right now

G

I have a Athlon TB 1.2, an ASUS A7M266 mobo and 2 256 MB sticks of crucial pc2100 DDR. I dont know what voltage I should set the mobo at for the "voltage regulator ouput setting to adjust the cpu core voltage". I dont plan on OC'ing it, at least not yet. Default? I thought i read somehwere here that the default setting on ASUS boards was to high. should I lower it? Please help, I have all the parts laying out in my friends house as you read this.

Cheers,
Zzyzx

G

I would go with default unless you read some where else that thats not good. If its running too hot at default try to go lower and see if everything is stable and running fine and cooler.

Uncle_joe

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
Use default and be sure your heatsink is set properly.
Heatsink not installed properly will kill your comp,
slightly higher voltage won't.

Breaking news: Intel hit by a SledgeHammer! AMD to blame! More in just a moment...

G

still having trouble getting this going. I havent been able to install the operating system (win2k). When I turn on the computer I go through the first start up screen, the comp finds the drives fine (seatate barracuda, Sony DVDROM, and a plextorCDRW). I have a boot disk in the floppy drive and the compuyter goes to the next screen that shows info about the drives, chip, bus speed etc. Then it starts to beep and quickly restart the screen, then beep, the restart that screen in a loop. I tried setting the jumper to jumper free mode but the computer wont start at all, I dont even see the screen with the bios info. I have the voltage regulator jumpers setup to "CPU default/ jummper free" setting in both cases. I treid starting the computer with only one stick of ram, but the sma e thing happened. I thought that maybe the floppy drive was bad so I tried another one with no help. The wierd thing is that when i started the process i would get error messages at the second screen with the chip, drive, bus speed info that said "boot disk error" or something like that, or a message that said "ESCD error." Now i dont get those errors anymore. I tried formatting the floppies and redoing the boot disks, but that didnt help. I tried different boot sequences, floppy then DVD then HD, flopp/HD/DVD, DVD/fl;oppy?HD with no change. Can you guys think of something??

Cheers,
Zzyzx

G

I also tried making the cdrw the secondary master and the dvd secondary slave and vice versa. nothing.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
you are using two DDR sticks and that has a strange problem. do this:
move the V/IO jumper to 3-4. thats all. the system runs fine with single DDR module but crashes with two. the above jumper will solve that problem. as for the rest of teh settings, defaults are fine.

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
and be sure to flash the <A HREF="http://cgi.asus.com.tw/cgi-bin/dl.asp?filename=mb/socka/amd760/a7m266/am26104a.zip" target="_new">latest BIOS</A> alongwith it.

and checkout this page <A HREF="http://www.asus.com.tw/products/techref/tech-report/qa-mb0721.html" target="_new">http://www.asus.com.tw/products/techref/tech-report/qa-mb0721.html</A>

girish

G

still having trouble. I checked the VIO jumper, and it was set to 3-4, but the VIO1 jumper was set to 3-4, so I set that to the default, 1-2. No luck. So I tried setting both the VIO and VIO1 jumpers to 1-2 (the default settings) with no success either. the system seems to be the best off (ie crashes latest, with the VIO1 jumper set to 1-2. I tried all the other v10 jumper settings with no luck. Once it got as far as saying"setup is detecting hardware settings, then it crashed. Any ideas?

Cheers,
Zzyzx

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I have the same board and have no trouble, but win 98 se. I didn't quite get all of the above, so maybe I'm not on the same page as you. You shouldn't have to change anything when you got the board, so put back to Default. Make sure your floppy cable is on the right way, it doesn't hurt if it's on the wrong way, just won't work. Go into your BIOS and go to boot and set CDROM as boot first, then go to main and you should see your stuff in there, if not Hmmm. Go in there and make sure there on auto. Then put your Win2k in and boot. You should be able to get started from there, if you can get this far. Sometimes with win 98 it won't let me put OS in, because there all ready is an OS on the HHD. I just hit F 3 to cancel, then type C: to get to C: to FDISK. Just check all your setting, cables, settings on HHD drive make sure the little pins on master and your CD on a separate IDE, if not might want to try making the CD the first boot, since I send to do that in BIOS. A few things to try, I hope this helps.

G

hmm, im really stumped. just to try i switched the ribbon cable for the floppy around. i had it right the first time, but when i switched it it would hstop on the first screen with the bios information saying there was a floppy error. I could let the computer sit in this state iand I wouldnt get the beeping sound and nothing would happen. When everything is hooked up right, it will crash and retart the second screen over and over until I turn it off. I triple and quadruple checked all the jumper settings (i have it set to jumper mode with all the jumpers at default as jumper free mode doesnt work at all) and ribbon cables. All i have hooked up are the HD, the DVD, the CDRW, the floppy and the vid card. I tried to boot using a windows 2000 cd in the DVD, with the bios set to boot from the DVD and it crashes when it starts to do the setup. Could it be a problem with the power supply? I have a 350W power supply, not a name brand like enermax, but I bought it from a reputalbe local place that specializes in power supplies. Could it just be a bad motherboard perhaps?

Cheers, <== getting less and less cheery :)
Zzyzx

G

Update: During one try to install win2k it worked, sort of. The computer just seemed to ignore the beeps and start the setup process. It formatted the drive, then copied the startup files. After that it wanted to reboot, and after it rebooted it started over, wanting to copy setup files to the disk again. I have no idea what kind of problem this is now, power supply, HD, mobo? I have no clue.

G

well I dont know what I did, but everything seems to be working now. Got windows installed and now im installing all the drivers for my stuff. Thanks for all your help guys, I really appreciate it.

Cheers, <=== for real this time!!!
Zzyzx

G

Bah!
I hate it when it ends like this.
Obviously I am happy that you have a working system now, but it is frustrating that the problem was not found, as it could re-appear for someone else, and no one knows how to sort it because you don't know why it began to work.

Oh well, at least there is one happy customer!!!

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well, then follow the leader!
do what you really dont know what you are doing...!

Zzyzx should have noted the different settings and posted, dint you?