Sign in with
Your question

Need help pc restart

Last response: in Video Games
October 13, 2011 10:44:40 AM

Hi everyone,
Ive been searching everywhere and cant find a solution to my problem..

The problem is, when playing some games, not all, my pc shuts itself down and restarts..

I can play Crysis Wars, Crysis 2 and the BF3 beta for as long as I want with no probs, but as soon as I try BFBC2 or COD4MW all hell breaks loose.

If I dont play the "bad" games for a long time (weeks-months) I can play for a few hours before it dies but once it reboots once i cant even play for 5 mins before it reboots again.

Firstly I dont think its a heat problem..

I have ran stress tests with FurMark, Prime95, and Memtest all at once for just over an hour and a half and had no probs at all, the CPU temp reached 90-91c and the GPU topped at 84c with everything maxed out.

I have the latest NVIDIA beta driver installed (the one needed for BF3) and have tried the previous driver with no difference.

My PC is:
Motherboard - Gigabyte EX58-UD3R Rev1.6
CPU - Intel Core i7-930 2.8GHz
GPU - Gigabyte GTX260 896MB GDDR3
PSU - Hytec Forte 1000 watt
RAM - 6GB Kingston
HDD - 500GB
Logitech G19 Keyboard
Logitech G700 Mouse
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
My monitors are a 19"Samsung SyncMaster 931BW and an old 15"hp1502 (I use the second for multi-tasking for work)

This is really starting to annoy me, I cant even finish the campaign on BFBC2.

Oh and I have disabled the auto restart on fail for Windows and I dont get any BSOD, I also checked the event viewer and the only warnings I have are:
The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device Root\SIDESHOW\0001.

and the critical error for kernel-power saying "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

More about : restart

October 13, 2011 11:09:58 AM

Your problem probably lies with the CPU. 90-91 for the i7 is way too high!

Have you tried monitoring your CPU/ GPU temp's while gaming? Try using CPUID/ GPU-Z to monitor your CPU as well as GPU temp's. See them in some games and also try an monitor them in BFBC2.

Post them here and then let's see.
m
l
October 13, 2011 11:42:09 AM

Definately a CPU issue, I panic if my i7 950 hits 70 C. Are you over clocking it?
m
l
Related resources
October 13, 2011 11:55:04 AM

No overclock, it was only that high when I was running the stress test for ages, it generally sits on 40c idle and at about 65c when playing games
m
l
October 13, 2011 2:05:22 PM

I ran Everest and saved a log till it crashed, I think i can rule out temps probs

m
l
October 13, 2011 2:26:22 PM

It might be your video card, I had a friend who had a similar issue with Geforce 295 GTX from PowerColor, do you have a spare Video card laying around to test?
m
l
October 13, 2011 2:28:41 PM

Unfortunately I dont, but I would have thought that if it was the video card then it should have crashed while i was running FurMark aswell??
m
l
October 19, 2011 5:09:07 AM

I have found out the problems lie with compatability between Win7 x64, Drivers, Punkbuster and the game..
I got COD working fine, but with BFBC2, ill just wait a few more days for BF3.

Thankyou everyone for your help!
m
l
!