firewall will not start automatically

this happened after SP2. will start manualy

What firewall are we talking about - the windows firewall, zone alarm or
sygate or some other firewall. Have you checked 'msconfig'? Is the firewall
listed on msconfig's startup tab and does it have a tick by it to say that
it is loaded at startup. First click the Start button and the click Run. In
the Run dialogue box type 'msconfig' (without the quotes) When the system
configuration utility window opens click on the 'Startup' tab. look down the
list to see if anything resembles your firewall. I run sygate firewall so my
entry would be 'smc' Zone Alarm may start with ZA or something similar (i
haven't used za for some time now). Next to the firewall entry is a check
box. Make sure a tick is in the box next to the firewall. If the box is
ticked it should be loading at startup. If there is no tick in the box then
it has been disabled. Just click on the box with your mouse to re-enable it.
If you still have no joy it might be worth uninstalling the firewall (make
sure you are not online at the time) and then reinstalling it. This would be
my preferred option as troubleshooting the problem could be time consuming.
But before you reinstall check the system configuration utility to see if it
may have been accidentally disabled.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

"herbiee" <herbiee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> this happened after SP2. will start manualy

it is the windows firewall I am refering to

"John Barnett MVP" wrote:

> What firewall are we talking about - the windows firewall, zone alarm or
> sygate or some other firewall. Have you checked 'msconfig'? Is the firewall
> listed on msconfig's startup tab and does it have a tick by it to say that
> it is loaded at startup. First click the Start button and the click Run. In
> the Run dialogue box type 'msconfig' (without the quotes) When the system
> configuration utility window opens click on the 'Startup' tab. look down the
> list to see if anything resembles your firewall. I run sygate firewall so my
> entry would be 'smc' Zone Alarm may start with ZA or something similar (i
> haven't used za for some time now). Next to the firewall entry is a check
> box. Make sure a tick is in the box next to the firewall. If the box is
> ticked it should be loading at startup. If there is no tick in the box then
> it has been disabled. Just click on the box with your mouse to re-enable it.
> If you still have no joy it might be worth uninstalling the firewall (make
> sure you are not online at the time) and then reinstalling it. This would be
> my preferred option as troubleshooting the problem could be time consuming.
> But before you reinstall check the system configuration utility to see if it
> may have been accidentally disabled.
>
> --
> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> www.freelanceit.glowinternet.net
>
> "herbiee" <herbiee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > this happened after SP2. will start manualy

Herbiee that is strange. As far as i am aware the windows firewall should
start up before the windows desktop has opened. Hence the windows firewall
is not available in the startup tab of the system configuration utility.
Without starting the windows firewall go to control panle and click on the
windows security center icon. What does it say in the firewall section?
When you manually start the firewall does the security center say that it is
'On'?
Are you getting any error messages at all?