What games would it run?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patosaiex

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Hello, good morning.

I'm in the process of saving money for a nice rig by the end of the year (already bought a mid one a few months ago), but since I have my brother which also likes a lot pc games and a girlfriend that also plays some games... One machine is really not enough.

So, my girlfriend agreed to trade her machine with my old one (hers is a p4 dual core, I'll list specs in a few... mine was a P4 single core).

I thought I could upgrade her machine with at least a low end gpu that did not have any impact on my budget for the new rig later this year as in have an imediate solution rather than wait a couple of months before having a second gaming rig at home.

So, her pc is now something like this:

Processor:
-p4 dual core E5400 @2.7ghz.

Motherboard:
-945GZM3 MSI. This is the main source of concern. It can't use more than 2gb RAM (ddr2). I placed my old PC's 1gb ddr2 memory on it to compliment the one 1gb it already had.

GPU:
- ATI Radeon HD 5570. Where I live it was the best available I could afford with the money I was willing to spend on it (I considered buying something bettter and then using it on the new machine but I guess by the end of this year prices might be way better, would be buying it probably next month before prices raise for holidays).

Just out of curiosity, after making the payment I read about 4670 performing better and it was in fact cheaper here.

Memory:
-2x 1GB ddr2.

PSU:
-Hum.. forgot to check this one, will do so when I get home.

Well, it will be using an old 17' LCD, VGA monitor...

And now comes the question, which games would it run and how would it run them?

As a little list of games of interest:

Source engine games:
Portal 2, TF2, CS:S, L4D2, etc....

Other games:
Battlefield BC2 (doubt it...), Dead Island...

Can't think of any others right now (kinda busy). But I want to know how high can I aim for with that dead end pc.

Solution
Well 2GB Ram is just average. Atleast a 4GB Ram is necessary for newer games. Your CPU is solid. As for your GPU, ATI Radeon HD 5570 is above average. i'd say games before 2009 will run smoothly, Crysis maybe an exception. Newer games of 2010 and 2011 should also work fine. EA's Battlefield 3 might not work. Also Crysis series might not. Others like Call of Duty Series, Gears of War series, Halo series, FIFA series, Splinter Cell series, Half-Life series, etc will work fine without lagging.

nishan11

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Well 2GB Ram is just average. Atleast a 4GB Ram is necessary for newer games. Your CPU is solid. As for your GPU, ATI Radeon HD 5570 is above average. i'd say games before 2009 will run smoothly, Crysis maybe an exception. Newer games of 2010 and 2011 should also work fine. EA's Battlefield 3 might not work. Also Crysis series might not. Others like Call of Duty Series, Gears of War series, Halo series, FIFA series, Splinter Cell series, Half-Life series, etc will work fine without lagging.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.