Game installation location pros/cons

ryanm

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
I will be receiving my new laptop this Monday hopefully after waiting 5 weeks for Dell to get the damn thing shipped out... back ordered.. Anyway.. It has 2 drive bays built into it and I will be installing a 90 GB Corsair Sata III SSD and making the 640 GB drive that came with it the secondary storage drive.

The main question is that if I install any games or additional applications on the secondary drive to preserve space and writes on the SSD to try and prolong its life span. Will it have a noticeable effect on the performance of the game or cause extra wear and stress on either drive or other things on the laptop?

I obviously don't know a lot about hard drives and the new SSD's and can't find a good way to word it to research it and actually find articles that could answer that for me so there it is.. Thank you for your time and letting me once again pick your brains.

Solution
Most people use their SSD's for their OS, and some games because there is a performance increase.
It wont cause any extra stress on either hard drive if you install games on the HDD.

JDV28

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
Most people use their SSD's for their OS, and some games because there is a performance increase.
It wont cause any extra stress on either hard drive if you install games on the HDD.

Solution

ryanm

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011

Cool, then if it performs well enough on the secondary I will probably just run it from there. Thanks