To DELL or not to DELL?

DOOM

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2001
I didn't know where to post this, so I thought I'd try here. Sorry if it's not appropriate.

My mom needs a cheap PC. Something for e-mail, internet, pictures, and music. I pieced and priced a system, then I called DELL refurb. Here are the two systems:

DELL Optiplex GX50
Celeron 800
Integrated sound, video, and NIC
64M PC133
10GB 7200rpm HD
48x CDROM
(don't know what brands)

$380, including 3yr warranty

- or -

Matsonic VIA133 MB w/ onboard sound
Celeron 566
128M PC133
Maxtor 10GB 5400rpm
Acer 56x CDROM
Voodoo3 2000 AGP
USR 56k

$340

Of course, normally, I would without hesitation choose the homemade one. But here's the catch: I have to order all the components from different companies (which I found through PriceWatch), and assemble it myself, hoping that it all works like it's supposed to.

What would you guys do in this situation?

Thanks for the advice

-DOOM
"Ultimately, there is no knowledge -- only belief."

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
I would go for home built, but failing that I think that the second one would be better. Sure it has a slower processor and a slower HD, but for what your mother wants to use this for, she won't notice the difference. It also comes with a modem, so she can get her e-mail (I'm assuming that she does not have a DSL or cable connection), as well as twice the RAM and a decent (for her) video card.

The reason I would stay away from the first one is twofold, firstly on-board video, and secondly only 64 megs of RAM. On board video won't matter for e-mail, internet or music, but she will notice the difference if she starts using photoshop or most other picture editing software.

And 64 megs of RAM simply isn't enough. Especially since a portion of that will be syphoned off for the on-board video. You won't even have enough RAM to run Win 2000 or ME after the on-board video takes it's share.

If you slap on a cheap video card and at least double the RAM you would be okay, but once you add in the cost of this plus the cost of a modem, you'll see why the second system gives you more bang for your buck.

Of course, the one reason to go with Dell instead of home built is the warrenty. If something goes wrong, you can just tell her to call tech support instead of yourself.

I would also recommend using Won 98 SE, as this OS will use less resources, yet function perfectly well on these systems. If you load 2000 or ME, the OS will use up most of the RAM and a fair chunk of the hard drive as well.

FatBurger

Illustrious
I would go for home built

I disagree in this instance. Since you're buying a low-end system, it will probably actually be cheaper to get a refurb, and you probably wont' regret having the warranty.

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>

DOOM

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2001
Thanks for the advice.

I sort of already made up my mind to go with the home-built one, but I'm just a little afraid of it not working when I put it together. I am a skilled technician, but I know how finnicky components can be, especially when you don't know the source.

Have you ever fashioned a system from parts over the web? Are there any pitfalls I should watch out for?

-DOOM

G

I'd have to say go with the Dell. Does it come with software? They warranty them same as new don't they? Might be worth doubling or tripling the memory just based on that.
Just my opinion.

Dave Sohmer

Stand with the strong, fight for the weak.

DOOM

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2001
It does come with software, but I already have all the software she will need, so that is not an issue.

It is warrantied for 3 years, but I don't have the option of increasing the memory unless I do that myself. And I don't know if that would void the warranty.

-DOOM

njeske

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
Go with the Dell.

Reason 1: Since you are ordering all the pieces from different companies on Pricewatch you will pay through the nose on shipping costs since one company can't put everything in one or two boxes for you.

Reason 2: It is a better system that will probably cost less once you calculate shipping and any applicable tax on the parts to build your own.

One thing I would suggest is to upgrade the RAM on the Dell to at least 128MB. Another 64MB of memory will cost you under $10, or you could buy another 128MB of memory for under $15. Prices are from <A HREF="http://www.pricewatch.com" target="_new">Pricewatch</A> of course.

<font color=red>"I'm not gonna launch a $2 million missile at a $10 tent and hit a camel's butt." -Bush</font color=red>

DOOM

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2001
Sorry, I should have specified...

The price for my home-built system ($340) includes ALL tax AND shipping! The price for the DELL does not, so it will be more like $420.

My home built system is definitely cheaper, all told. However, I am worried about the quality of components that I get over the net. Is it still worth an extra hundred dollars to go DELL?

-DOOM

njeske

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
First off, the quality of components over the internet is just fine. As long as you buy from someone that list on Yahoo! shops or at Pricewatch, you should get good parts.

Secondly, even for the extra $100 I still think the Dell system is better. If for nothing else the faster processor and an almost guaranteed well-built machine.

<font color=red>"I'm not gonna launch a $2 million missile at a $10 tent and hit a camel's butt." -Bush</font color=red>

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
I would say go with dell. With low end components, they like to go out on you at the most inconvient times. The problem with a home built pc is it's hell rma'ing parts. So yes the warranty is worth 80 bucks. Besides in three years just tell them that it's not working and they will give you somewhat of an upgrade for free. That is how you justify spending the extra $80.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:

DOOM

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2001
So, if I disable the onboard video, will it relinquish that memory back to the system?

-DOOM

DOOM

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2001
Yes, my homebuilt price includes everything, case, PSU, etc., plus shipping and tax.

-DOOM

kaz

Distinguished
May 22, 2001
Go with the Dell.
The warranty will minimize any headaches she might have.
As far asupgrading voiding the warranty, don't worry. All they may ask you to do is return it to origional config. for troubleshooting purposes.
The negative is that some components are proprietary/non-standard.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You want a simple stable system. Forget the VIA motherboard, get a BX chipset board that is Coppermine compatable (I assume you'll be using the newer Celeron FC-PGA chip). Or get the Dell.

Back to you Tom...

DOOM

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2001
Well the interesting thing about the mobo is that I already have it. I bought another one for myself, and the Matsonic is a spare now.

Thanks for all the feedback everybody. I decided to give it a second shot and continue looking around. I found a perfect eMachine for $400, which is just the right price. I am starting to feel glad that I didn't go down the road of assembling everything myself.

Thanks...

-DOOM

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Check it out, for only $189 <A HREF="http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=IBMEPRO400-1" target="_new">http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=IBMEPRO400-1</A> Yes it's only a 400, but a PII instead of a Celeron, it should be about as fast as a Celeron 533, it uses reliable parts, it's inexpensive, etc. A pic of the same system in grade be ($179) can be seen at <A HREF="http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=IBMEPRO400-1B" target="_new">http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=IBMEPRO400-1B</A>
The same company sells E-machines at aroun 600MHz for around $200, but they are out of stock.

Back to you Tom...