Soyo K7V Dragon - Does it suffer the curse of VIA?

DOOM

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2001
I've seen a few posts praising the Soyo Dragon. Its specs look pretty good. But I noticed that it's built on the VIA chipset. Does the Dragon display any of the problems typically attributed to VIA? For example, problems with sound, AGP multipliers, 4-in-1 drivers, etc...

Does it have any problems with any of the onboard components, like sound, LAN, RAID, etc.?

Just curious.

-DOOM
"Ultimately, there is no knowledge -- only belief."

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
I have not seen the specs on it, but if it's got the Via 686B southbridge, expect a few glitches, although nowhere near as great as many people emphasize. I have a board equipped with it (Asus A7M266) and have had no problems whatsoever.

G

I heard that the only bug it shows, is a problem with the USB ports when oc'd, causing lockups when devices are plugged in. Resetting to a normal FSB seems to fix this. I think the target was 133mhz and below. Other than that it's gotten rave reviews.

njeske

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
The K7V Dragon uses the new VIA8233 South Bridge that, in theory, does not have the same compatibility issues as the 686b did.

<font color=red>"I'm not gonna launch a $2 million missile at a $10 tent and hit a camel's butt." -Bush</font color=red>