I'm running WindowsXP Professional with SP2 installed, on a Compaq N1015v
laptop. I need to to reload using the recovery disc and have attempted to
back up my docs and settings using backup. I select the CD drive (D) to save
the back up, and am asked for a file name. When I did ths before I put backup
and the date which worked fine, but now whatever I enter is rejected with a
message 'the backup file name could not be used' It then says 'please ensure
that it is a valid path and you have sufficient access'.
I could just select and save the documents to cd, but I would lose my
settings (4 users) and I'm not sure how to save all the emails. Ideas
anyone???

Jim

"philnik" <philnik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm running WindowsXP Professional with SP2 installed, on a Compaq N1015v
> laptop. I need to to reload using the recovery disc and have attempted to
> back up my docs and settings using backup. I select the CD drive (D) to
save
> the back up, and am asked for a file name. When I did ths before I put
backup
> and the date which worked fine, but now whatever I enter is rejected with
> message 'the backup file name could not be used' It then says 'please
ensure
> that it is a valid path and you have sufficient access'.
> I could just select and save the documents to cd, but I would lose my
> settings (4 users) and I'm not sure how to save all the emails. Ideas
> anyone???
You cannot use the XP provided backup program to backup to a CD or a DVD.
Jim