Formatted HD, reinstall, data lost on secondary drive...

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Dell 8300
XP Pro
1GB RAM
40GB maxtor
200GB Maxtor

My Computer was running slow, so i decided to format / reinstall. I use the
40 GB HD for OS and all programs and have a extensive music / movie
collection on the 200GB HD.

Part of the impetus for the reinstall was that iTunes was hanging up the
computer when i tried to open it. the HD made a repetitive clicking sound
and itunes either never opened or opened after an hour or more.

Prior to formatting the 40GB, i backed up all my data to the 200GB HD. I
then used the XP cd to format and reinstall windows. Reinstall went fine, i
began to rebuild my computer.

i then tried to access my music folder on the big HD. every other folder
was intact except for the music folder which had held approx 90 GB of music.
it was empty. imagine my surprise.

fearing that the HD was done, i began trying to move my backup data back to
the main (40) HD. while moving the file made with windows backup, i got an
error message (that i did not transcribe) which indicated that the data could
not be moved because of a cyclical redundancy test error. this was the only
file (so far) that i could not get off of the drive.

any thoughts on why my music file was wiped?

here is an interesting side note:

I have a duplicate of my music folder on a USB drive here at work that i
keep as a backup. this morning, my computer hung up. i ended tasks and
tried to restart and got a error message right before the computer restarted
that said there was an error accessing drive m: (USB drive) - the data has
been lost.

i restarted and the data was indeed present and intact, i think. i ran a
virus scan and a disk check on the drive with no results. i unplugged the
drive terrified that i might lose 90 gb worth of music!

HELP!

thanks,

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

when a hard drive starts clicking, that is a bad sign! Your problem is to
find out which one is clicking...is it the 40Gig or the 200gig?

Jim

"brian" <brian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> fearing that the HD was done, i began trying to move my backup data back
> the main (40) HD. while moving the file made with windows backup, i got
an
> error message (that i did not transcribe) which indicated that the data
could
> not be moved because of a cyclical redundancy test error. this was the
only
> file (so far) that i could not get off of the drive.
>
> any thoughts on why my music file was wiped?

A CRC error usually means that the file was corrupted by a hardware problem
somewhere.
Jim

wolfish009

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
You and your drive are in critical condition so I think it’s far better to consult a data recovery expert rather than taking suggestions from amateurs. Consult a Data Recovery Company around you and they will help your retrieve your data from Hard Disk and any other SSD or Solid State Drives.

Source: www.eprovided.com

Best of Luck!