Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Missing software CD for DVD640i

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
Anonymous
a b α HP
September 28, 2005 3:18:44 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

I recently bought a new DVD640i because there were on 25% off sale
last week. No software CD was included and I couldn't return them
because they didn't have another in stock for exchange and their
policy forbid refund on open electronics merchandise. I could drive
to another nearby store but 50 miles at $3.00 per gallon of gas, I'd
rather nag someone at HP or download software instead.

So I tried HP web site. They wanted $10 for a CD! Why should I pay
for something when it's HP fault and not mine? Anyway I tried again
at that store a few hours ago, that store still don't have any in
stock for exchange.

I'm getting a bit annoyed that I can't fully use the new burner
because HP screwed up or something and they don't offer free download
or free replacement CD. My copy of Nero can handle this drive but
only as single layer at max 4x (burn always failed at 8x or 16x), I
was hoping to use DL feature and make single backup of all photos I
got. (over 6GB total)

Is there a place I could download for free either an update for Nero
5.5.10.56 (hated 6, don't want to upgrade to 6) or another software
that works with DVD640. Also I'd need something for Lightscribe
feature as well.

TIA
--
When you hear the toilet flush, and hear the words "uh oh", it's already
too late. - by anonymous Mother in Austin, TX
To reply, replace digi.mon with phreaker.net
Anonymous
a b α HP
September 28, 2005 4:02:49 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 09:30:49 +0200, Christian Dürrhauer
<cduerr@geog.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

>I don't really see why you think it's HP's fault. At the least, you bought
>this already opened item.

The problem was this DVD was sealed and brand new, not opened before I
got it home. The 25% off sale applied to all DVD640i and e's and
several HP printers at the store. It was a one-day only sale last
Saturday.

The box I have shows only one seal on top flap and no evidence someone
had tried to remove the old one and applied new one. So the software
CD was never included in the first place so the blame still goes to
HP.

I'll have to find a newer CD/DVD burning software since you stated
Nero 5.5 isn't suitable.
--
When you hear the toilet flush, and hear the words "uh oh", it's already
too late. - by anonymous Mother in Austin, TX
To reply, replace digi.mon with phreaker.net
Anonymous
a b α HP
September 28, 2005 9:12:00 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

"Impmon" <impmon@digi.mon> wrote in message
news:rb1kj1186m2c8tur6tp1cn6i0gngbrigv8@4ax.com...
>I recently bought a new DVD640i because there were on 25% off sale
> last week. No software CD was included and I couldn't return them
> because they didn't have another in stock for exchange and their
> policy forbid refund on open electronics merchandise. I could drive
> to another nearby store but 50 miles at $3.00 per gallon of gas, I'd
> rather nag someone at HP or download software instead.
>
> So I tried HP web site. They wanted $10 for a CD! Why should I pay
> for something when it's HP fault and not mine? Anyway I tried again
> at that store a few hours ago, that store still don't have any in
> stock for exchange.
>
> I'm getting a bit annoyed that I can't fully use the new burner
> because HP screwed up or something and they don't offer free download
> or free replacement CD. My copy of Nero can handle this drive but
> only as single layer at max 4x (burn always failed at 8x or 16x), I
> was hoping to use DL feature and make single backup of all photos I
> got. (over 6GB total)
>
> Is there a place I could download for free either an update for Nero
> 5.5.10.56 (hated 6, don't want to upgrade to 6) or another software
> that works with DVD640. Also I'd need something for Lightscribe
> feature as well.
>
> TIA
> --
> When you hear the toilet flush, and hear the words "uh oh", it's already
> too late. - by anonymous Mother in Austin, TX
> To reply, replace digi.mon with phreaker.net


That's one reason I would never purchase any computer hardware add-ons from
HP. Got burnt on a tape drive that never worked and HP wanted money for the
software to fix it's problems.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b α HP
September 29, 2005 12:04:40 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

"Impmon" <impmon@digi.mon> wrote in message
news:rb1kj1186m2c8tur6tp1cn6i0gngbrigv8@4ax.com...
>I recently bought a new DVD640i because there were on 25% off sale
> last week. No software CD was included and I couldn't return them
> because they didn't have another in stock for exchange and their
> policy forbid refund on open electronics merchandise. I could drive
> to another nearby store but 50 miles at $3.00 per gallon of gas, I'd
> rather nag someone at HP or download software instead.

If you are in North America call HP at 1-800-HPINVENt and explain the
situation. If it was really a new, sealed package they may send you a
replacement. If you bought a floor model you probably need to pay the $10.

- Bob Headrick
Anonymous
a b α HP
September 29, 2005 8:30:10 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

"Gonzo" <r_murphree@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:27J_e.30184$h02.23523@tornado.texas.rr.com...
> I got my DVD640i with my HP Athlon64 system direct from HP myself and was
> pissed off that I did not get an installation and OS CD. Only a lame ass
> Image making Utility software CD. What the hell?!? Not only am I stuck
> with only a propriatary image but I have to burn the damn things myself on
> my own CDs...wtf over?
>
> Did I or DID I NOT pay for an XP license? For my money I should at least
> be entitled to a God Damn 50cent Installation CD! Dont you think?
> bite the bullet and buy one.

What you paid for is an XP OEM license. Every major manufacturer of pc's
sells them exactly the same way you got yours. Compaq, Emachines, Acer, HP,
Gateway, Sony they all just provide you with the ability to restore your
machine to the state it was in when it was purchased and do not provide the
XP cd, nothing new there.
Anonymous
a b α HP
September 29, 2005 4:29:35 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

May I suggest CDBurnerXPPro or Burn4Free ? These are free downloads from their
respective web sites and they do at least an adequate job of burning CDs and
DVDs on all brands of devices. And the price is right.

I would avoid the HP software at the "bargain" price of $10. Problem is that if
you should ever replace the DVD640i with another brand, the HP software is
unlikely to work. The industry trend with software bundled by name brand
manufacturers is for the software to work with that brand only.

Likewise, Roxio, Nero, and NTI all have software installs that provide a list of
supported devices. Install a new device not in the list and the software does
not work any more. Or buy the upgrade to get support for a new device.

.... Ben Myers

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 23:18:44 -0400, Impmon <impmon@digi.mon> wrote:

>I recently bought a new DVD640i because there were on 25% off sale
>last week. No software CD was included and I couldn't return them
>because they didn't have another in stock for exchange and their
>policy forbid refund on open electronics merchandise. I could drive
>to another nearby store but 50 miles at $3.00 per gallon of gas, I'd
>rather nag someone at HP or download software instead.
>
>So I tried HP web site. They wanted $10 for a CD! Why should I pay
>for something when it's HP fault and not mine? Anyway I tried again
>at that store a few hours ago, that store still don't have any in
>stock for exchange.
>
>I'm getting a bit annoyed that I can't fully use the new burner
>because HP screwed up or something and they don't offer free download
>or free replacement CD. My copy of Nero can handle this drive but
>only as single layer at max 4x (burn always failed at 8x or 16x), I
>was hoping to use DL feature and make single backup of all photos I
>got. (over 6GB total)
>
>Is there a place I could download for free either an update for Nero
>5.5.10.56 (hated 6, don't want to upgrade to 6) or another software
>that works with DVD640. Also I'd need something for Lightscribe
>feature as well.
>
>TIA
>--
>When you hear the toilet flush, and hear the words "uh oh", it's already
>too late. - by anonymous Mother in Austin, TX
>To reply, replace digi.mon with phreaker.net
September 29, 2005 9:29:18 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

"nb" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:m5K_e.109776$4i6.56041@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>
> "Gonzo" <r_murphree@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:27J_e.30184$h02.23523@tornado.texas.rr.com...
>> I got my DVD640i with my HP Athlon64 system direct from HP myself and was
>> pissed off that I did not get an installation and OS CD. Only a lame ass
>> Image making Utility software CD. What the hell?!? Not only am I stuck
>> with only a propriatary image but I have to burn the damn things myself
>> on my own CDs...wtf over?
>>
>> Did I or DID I NOT pay for an XP license? For my money I should at least
>> be entitled to a God Damn 50cent Installation CD! Dont you think?
>> bite the bullet and buy one.
>
> What you paid for is an XP OEM license. Every major manufacturer of pc's
> sells them exactly the same way you got yours. Compaq, Emachines, Acer,
> HP, Gateway, Sony they all just provide you with the ability to restore
> your machine to the state it was in when it was purchased and do not
> provide the XP cd, nothing new there.

And it would have killed them to add a 50cent CD huh?
Anonymous
a b α HP
September 29, 2005 11:38:29 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

"Gonzo" <r_murphree@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o vV_e.6$zw5.0@tornado.texas.rr.com...
> "nb" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:m5K_e.109776$4i6.56041@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>>
>> "Gonzo" <r_murphree@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:27J_e.30184$h02.23523@tornado.texas.rr.com...
>>> I got my DVD640i with my HP Athlon64 system direct from HP myself and
>>> was pissed off that I did not get an installation and OS CD. Only a
>>> lame ass Image making Utility software CD. What the hell?!? Not only
>>> am I stuck with only a propriatary image but I have to burn the damn
>>> things myself on my own CDs...wtf over?
>>>
>>> Did I or DID I NOT pay for an XP license? For my money I should at
>>> least be entitled to a God Damn 50cent Installation CD! Dont you think?
>>> bite the bullet and buy one.
>>
>> What you paid for is an XP OEM license. Every major manufacturer of pc's
>> sells them exactly the same way you got yours. Compaq, Emachines, Acer,
>> HP, Gateway, Sony they all just provide you with the ability to restore
>> your machine to the state it was in when it was purchased and do not
>> provide the XP cd, nothing new there.
>
> And it would have killed them to add a 50cent CD huh?

It probably has more to do with the purchase agreement they have with
Microsoft in mass marketing the OEM license than just providing a 50cent cd.
I'm sure they get a hell of a break on what they pay for that license
compared to what you or I would pay. XP Home OEM can be had for around $90
and companies like Emachines are selling a 2.9gb Celeron with monitor,
speakers and printer for $279 after rebates, that only leave $189 for the
rest of the machine. I don't know why they don't include it but I'm just
guessing here.
Anonymous
a b α HP
September 29, 2005 11:54:22 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

"nb" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:VoX_e.110076$4i6.81278@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 19:38:29 GMT

> > And it would have killed them to add a 50cent CD huh?
>
> It probably has more to do with the purchase agreement they have with
> Microsoft in mass marketing the OEM license than just providing a 50cent cd.
> I'm sure they get a hell of a break on what they pay for that license
> compared to what you or I would pay. XP Home OEM can be had for around $90
> and companies like Emachines are selling a 2.9gb Celeron with monitor,
> speakers and printer for $279 after rebates, that only leave $189 for the
> rest of the machine. I don't know why they don't include it but I'm just
> guessing here.

What each OEM pays for Windows is a secret. But some claim the price is as low as 35 bucks. Nobody that pays less than this has ever came publicly forward. But that doesn't mean someone like HP pays even as much as 35 bucks.

--


Cheers!

______________________________________________
Bill (using a HP 8655c & Windows 2000)
--- written and edited with Outlook Express v6.00.2800.1123
September 29, 2005 11:56:16 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

"nb" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:VoX_e.110076$4i6.81278@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>
> "Gonzo" <r_murphree@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o vV_e.6$zw5.0@tornado.texas.rr.com...
>> "nb" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> news:m5K_e.109776$4i6.56041@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>>>
>>> "Gonzo" <r_murphree@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> news:27J_e.30184$h02.23523@tornado.texas.rr.com...
>>>> I got my DVD640i with my HP Athlon64 system direct from HP myself and
>>>> was pissed off that I did not get an installation and OS CD. Only a
>>>> lame ass Image making Utility software CD. What the hell?!? Not only
>>>> am I stuck with only a propriatary image but I have to burn the damn
>>>> things myself on my own CDs...wtf over?
>>>>
>>>> Did I or DID I NOT pay for an XP license? For my money I should at
>>>> least be entitled to a God Damn 50cent Installation CD! Dont you
>>>> think?
>>>> bite the bullet and buy one.
>>>
>>> What you paid for is an XP OEM license. Every major manufacturer of
>>> pc's sells them exactly the same way you got yours. Compaq, Emachines,
>>> Acer, HP, Gateway, Sony they all just provide you with the ability to
>>> restore your machine to the state it was in when it was purchased and do
>>> not provide the XP cd, nothing new there.
>>
>> And it would have killed them to add a 50cent CD huh?
>
> It probably has more to do with the purchase agreement they have with
> Microsoft in mass marketing the OEM license than just providing a 50cent
> cd. I'm sure they get a hell of a break on what they pay for that license
> compared to what you or I would pay. XP Home OEM can be had for around
> $90 and companies like Emachines are selling a 2.9gb Celeron with monitor,
> speakers and printer for $279 after rebates, that only leave $189 for the
> rest of the machine. I don't know why they don't include it but I'm just
> guessing here.

Well all I can remember is that when I ordered my System from HPs web page I
had to PAY for the OS and I think that I should at LEAST be entitiled to an
installation CD. My OS number is on my PC case instead of a CD case. How
lame is that?

FWIW, I can't remember the exact amount or even if there was an amount for
XP home. However, what do DO remember for a fact was that the upgrade from
XP home to XP pro on HPs web page was pretty darm sizable so I do not buy
the thinking that a few CD's would break either HP or Microsloths piggy
banks.

This whole thing just reeks as far as I am concerned.
May 3, 2010 3:38:18 AM

I have the install disc for the DVD640 if you want it. I am looking for a Vista driver for the same equipment.
!