Total vs. Available physical memory

When I check my system resources I learn that available physical memory is
128 MB but physical memory is only 16 MB. That seems odd. I've checked it
with all typical programs -- IE, Office applications, etc., closed. What
should that disparity in memory totals tell me and how can I get more
available memory from what's available to me?

Thanks.

Bob

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

That means that Windows dose a piss-poor job of managing
resource...especially memory...whether it is L2 catch on your CPU or your
RAM on your mobo. You need a third party catch manager. Windows XP is also
huge resource hog! XP is hideously slow with anything less than 256MB of
RAM and I have seen performance increases to 384MB as just a business use
computer...not to mention graphics With the price of memory now, it does not
make any sense at all to run XP with anything less than 512MB of RAM.