Problem with reinstall of Windows XP

A friend of mine uninstalled and reinstalled XP Home and XP Professional on
his machine 3 times due to virus/spyware issues. After he did that, he gets
a screen that pops up when he turns on his computer asking what OS he wants
to use. However, the two choices listed are the same, XP Home Edition. The
XP Pro choice does not come up at all. If he clicks the first one, he's OK.
If he clicks the second one, he gets an error. What can he do to prevent
that screen from coming up at startup?

Derek

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 09:57:22 -0700, Derek Jones wrote:

> A friend of mine uninstalled and reinstalled XP Home and XP Professional on
> his machine 3 times due to virus/spyware issues. After he did that, he gets
> a screen that pops up when he turns on his computer asking what OS he wants
> to use. However, the two choices listed are the same, XP Home Edition. The
> XP Pro choice does not come up at all. If he clicks the first one, he's OK.
> If he clicks the second one, he gets an error. What can he do to prevent
> that screen from coming up at startup?
>
> Derek

Your friend has at least two separate installs of XP - possibly both on the
same partition which is not desirable. Avoiding this kind of mistake is a
matter of carefully reading the setup screens and making proper choices for
what one wishes to accomplish.

He is making choices during the setup process and getting the expected
results based on his responses. It's up to him if he wants to continue with
this hodge podge and it's a judgment call whether it's worth salvaging -or-
if all should be scrubbed and start over again.

Also, no details on how he is finding, removing and retesting for the
re-occurring viruses and adware. Wrong choices during setup, means that
these could still exist and may be adding to his startup troubles.

If there is no critical data needing rescuing, I vote for a clean start.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 09:57:22 -0700, Derek Jones wrote:

> A friend of mine uninstalled and reinstalled XP Home and XP Professional on
> his machine 3 times due to virus/spyware issues. After he did that, he gets
> a screen that pops up when he turns on his computer asking what OS he wants
> to use. However, the two choices listed are the same, XP Home Edition. The
> XP Pro choice does not come up at all. If he clicks the first one, he's OK.
> If he clicks the second one, he gets an error. What can he do to prevent
> that screen from coming up at startup?

Clean Install Windows XP:
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User