XP finds device "Printer" every reboot

October 22, 2004 11:37:19 PM

Hi. Here's my problem:

Every time I reboot I get a pop-up notice that "new hardware has been
detected (printer)", and then the "Found New Hardware wizard" pops up.

When I allow the printer installer wizard to run its course, it returns the
messages "Cannot install this hardware" and "The hardware was not installed
because the wizard cannot find the necessary software". Even if I check the
box indicating "Don't prompt me again to install this software", it still
does the same thing _every_ time I reboot.

There is nothing odd in my Device Manager, and the only printers currently
installed have been working fine. This problem started happening about a
week ago.

I have tried all of the following actions without success:

A) uninstalling & reinstalling all printer drivers and server drivers
B) uninstalling & reinstalling all USB devices
C) uninstalling & reinstalling all serial and printer ports
D) doing all of the above with _all_ peripheral devices disconnected from my
PC (except keyboard and mouse) [yes, even with _everything_ disconnected, it
still tells me "new hardware found..."]
E) canceling out of the hardware installer wizard
F) telling the hardware installer wizard to "Install from a specific list or
location" and then telling it _not_ to search but to allow me to choose the
driver to install (which results in it simply giving me an alphabetized list
of every printer/driver in the OS); if I then select the driver for a
printer, it comes back with "Cannot Install this Hardware" "There was a
problem installing this hardware..." "An error occurred during the
installation of the device" "The specified port is unknown."
G) getting all of the latest drivers for every part of my system
H) installing everything recommended by MS Windows Update online

Any insight will be MUCH appreciated...!
Anonymous
October 24, 2004 9:10:08 PM

What's the make and model of the Printer?
"bmuse21" <bmuse21@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi. Here's my problem:
>
> Every time I reboot I get a pop-up notice that "new hardware has been
> detected (printer)", and then the "Found New Hardware wizard" pops up.
>
> When I allow the printer installer wizard to run its course, it returns
> the
> messages "Cannot install this hardware" and "The hardware was not
> installed
> because the wizard cannot find the necessary software". Even if I check
> the
> box indicating "Don't prompt me again to install this software", it still
> does the same thing _every_ time I reboot.
>
> There is nothing odd in my Device Manager, and the only printers currently
> installed have been working fine. This problem started happening about a
> week ago.
>
> I have tried all of the following actions without success:
>
> A) uninstalling & reinstalling all printer drivers and server drivers
> B) uninstalling & reinstalling all USB devices
> C) uninstalling & reinstalling all serial and printer ports
> D) doing all of the above with _all_ peripheral devices disconnected from
> my
> PC (except keyboard and mouse) [yes, even with _everything_ disconnected,
> it
> still tells me "new hardware found..."]
> E) canceling out of the hardware installer wizard
> F) telling the hardware installer wizard to "Install from a specific list
> or
> location" and then telling it _not_ to search but to allow me to choose
> the
> driver to install (which results in it simply giving me an alphabetized
> list
> of every printer/driver in the OS); if I then select the driver for a
> printer, it comes back with "Cannot Install this Hardware" "There was a
> problem installing this hardware..." "An error occurred during the
> installation of the device" "The specified port is unknown."
> G) getting all of the latest drivers for every part of my system
> H) installing everything recommended by MS Windows Update online
>
> Any insight will be MUCH appreciated...!

Anonymous
November 27, 2004 11:47:02 AM

I wonder if you found a solution for this.

I am having a similar problem with any new hardware since installing SP2. I
installed a new SATA disk and a DVD burner. They should both use the default
XP drivers. They work just fine, but the install wizard won't stop coming up
and wanting to reinstall them each bootup. If I go ahead and let the system
try to find drivers, it fails and gives me the yellow exclamation point in
device manager. If I cancel, they show up OK in device manager but say
"manufacturer unknown" instead of saying "standard device". If you look at
the drivers, they are all using the standard drivers.

This all started happening after installing SP2.

Frankly, I'm about ready to ditch this and go to Mac.

"bmuse21" wrote:

> Hi. Here's my problem:
>
> Every time I reboot I get a pop-up notice that "new hardware has been
> detected (printer)", and then the "Found New Hardware wizard" pops up.
>
> When I allow the printer installer wizard to run its course, it returns the
> messages "Cannot install this hardware" and "The hardware was not installed
> because the wizard cannot find the necessary software". Even if I check the
> box indicating "Don't prompt me again to install this software", it still
> does the same thing _every_ time I reboot.
>
> There is nothing odd in my Device Manager, and the only printers currently
> installed have been working fine. This problem started happening about a
> week ago.
>
> I have tried all of the following actions without success:
>
> A) uninstalling & reinstalling all printer drivers and server drivers
> B) uninstalling & reinstalling all USB devices
> C) uninstalling & reinstalling all serial and printer ports
> D) doing all of the above with _all_ peripheral devices disconnected from my
> PC (except keyboard and mouse) [yes, even with _everything_ disconnected, it
> still tells me "new hardware found..."]
> E) canceling out of the hardware installer wizard
> F) telling the hardware installer wizard to "Install from a specific list or
> location" and then telling it _not_ to search but to allow me to choose the
> driver to install (which results in it simply giving me an alphabetized list
> of every printer/driver in the OS); if I then select the driver for a
> printer, it comes back with "Cannot Install this Hardware" "There was a
> problem installing this hardware..." "An error occurred during the
> installation of the device" "The specified port is unknown."
> G) getting all of the latest drivers for every part of my system
> H) installing everything recommended by MS Windows Update online
>
> Any insight will be MUCH appreciated...!

December 29, 2004 10:21:01 PM

Thank the Lord Almighty. Someone else having the same problems with this POS
sp2. I just bought a brand new Gateway pc. Also a brand new Epson Stylus
cx4600 MFP, AND a brand new Minolta PagePro 1350W laser printer. Can't
install anything!! PERIOD. I can get the Minolta to register as a printer
and it will work, but I get the same "found new hardware" message everytime
too. BLA BLA BLA, your hardware was not installed, bla bla bla. Can't get
the Epson printer drivers to fly at all. The scanner drivers work, it will
scan, copy and such, but the printer drivers won't. I downloaded all XP
patches, all the latest Epson drivers, had Epson send me a new driver disk
because it keeps trying to tell me the driver disk may be damaged (even when
I try to install the downloaded driver) GO FIGURE!! I can install
EVERYTHING on an XP machine that DOES NOT have sp2. SO how do I get the the
worthless waste of memory out of my pc or get around it. I swear, this sp2
is everybit as much of a virus as AOL.

And yes, I've installed, uninstalled, reinstalled everything, everywhere,
everyhow, till next Tuesday with no success. I've tried to install in safe
mode, you name it. But I still get messages like "not enough storage to
process this command" (with a 200Gig HD and 1 Gig of ram)

Epson tech support....clueless and most can't speak english anyway.
Minolta tech....same
Microsoft support....well do I really have to tell you how that went??

Any help would be SOOOO much appreciated.

"shellman" wrote:

> I wonder if you found a solution for this.
>
> I am having a similar problem with any new hardware since installing SP2. I
> installed a new SATA disk and a DVD burner. They should both use the default
> XP drivers. They work just fine, but the install wizard won't stop coming up
> and wanting to reinstall them each bootup. If I go ahead and let the system
> try to find drivers, it fails and gives me the yellow exclamation point in
> device manager. If I cancel, they show up OK in device manager but say
> "manufacturer unknown" instead of saying "standard device". If you look at
> the drivers, they are all using the standard drivers.
>
> This all started happening after installing SP2.
>
> Frankly, I'm about ready to ditch this and go to Mac.
>
> "bmuse21" wrote:
>
> > Hi. Here's my problem:
> >
> > Every time I reboot I get a pop-up notice that "new hardware has been
> > detected (printer)", and then the "Found New Hardware wizard" pops up.
> >
> > When I allow the printer installer wizard to run its course, it returns the
> > messages "Cannot install this hardware" and "The hardware was not installed
> > because the wizard cannot find the necessary software". Even if I check the
> > box indicating "Don't prompt me again to install this software", it still
> > does the same thing _every_ time I reboot.
> >
> > There is nothing odd in my Device Manager, and the only printers currently
> > installed have been working fine. This problem started happening about a
> > week ago.
> >
> > I have tried all of the following actions without success:
> >
> > A) uninstalling & reinstalling all printer drivers and server drivers
> > B) uninstalling & reinstalling all USB devices
> > C) uninstalling & reinstalling all serial and printer ports
> > D) doing all of the above with _all_ peripheral devices disconnected from my
> > PC (except keyboard and mouse) [yes, even with _everything_ disconnected, it
> > still tells me "new hardware found..."]
> > E) canceling out of the hardware installer wizard
> > F) telling the hardware installer wizard to "Install from a specific list or
> > location" and then telling it _not_ to search but to allow me to choose the
> > driver to install (which results in it simply giving me an alphabetized list
> > of every printer/driver in the OS); if I then select the driver for a
> > printer, it comes back with "Cannot Install this Hardware" "There was a
> > problem installing this hardware..." "An error occurred during the
> > installation of the device" "The specified port is unknown."
> > G) getting all of the latest drivers for every part of my system
> > H) installing everything recommended by MS Windows Update online
> >
> > Any insight will be MUCH appreciated...!

Anonymous
August 15, 2009 6:57:32 PM

Printers anf faxes -> add printer -> uncheck "automatically install ..." -> continue with manual installation
!