Cannot Load Remote Desktop in XP Pro

October 23, 2004 6:52:16 AM

At work we have many Dell gx270 PCs ghosted with XP Pro/.MS Office image.
When we attempt to load Remote Desktop an error message appears
stating Remote Desktop is already installed, but we can't find it.
I'm thinking the vendor may have used gpedit.msc or services.msc
modification to disable Remote Desktop. Vendor no longer supporting these
PCs.
How can I enable Remote Desktop?

Thanks,
Mike
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 12:48:58 PM

Perhaps the following Knowledge Base Articles will help:

How to Disable Remote Desktop by Using Group Policy
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306300

How do I disable the Windows XP Professional Remote Desktop, by using group policy?
http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBI/tip4100/rh4168.htm

Support WebCast: Using Windows Remote Assistance
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;826769&Product=winxp

Overview of Remote Assistance in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;300546

Remote Desktop Connection Software Download
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/tools/rdcl...

Description of the Remote Assistance Connection Process
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300692&Product=winxp

HOW TO: Configure a Computer to Receive Remote Assistance Offers in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301527&Product=winxp

Troubleshooting Remote Assistance Issues
http://www.chicagotech.net/rdesktop.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Mike" wrote:

| At work we have many Dell gx270 PCs ghosted with XP Pro/.MS Office image.
| When we attempt to load Remote Desktop an error message appears
| stating Remote Desktop is already installed, but we can't find it.
| I'm thinking the vendor may have used gpedit.msc or services.msc
| modification to disable Remote Desktop. Vendor no longer supporting these
| PCs.
| How can I enable Remote Desktop?
|
| Thanks,
| Mike
October 24, 2004 12:44:55 AM

Much thanks, I belioeve the links will help.

Mike

!