K7S5A/ HELP

G

I recently bought the K7S5A Mobo, put everything together,
powered up and my PSU (300 Watt) blew its fuse.
I then switched PSU'S and can only get my LED indicator lights to come on for a few seconds before going off.
Can anyone tell me why this happened, and is my new Mobo shagged, and have I killed my CPU

Many thanks

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Mazoo on 10/06/01 05:09 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

kdogg

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2001
Well Im in the same boat as you are, I bought my k7s5a (received it thursday) and installed it. Nothing. Fans start spinning, NIC lights up, everything *looks* OK, but my monitor still says "no signal" (I have tried everythign from a new video card to a new cpu/ram combo and nothing still) so I guess I will be out a computer for another week or so... dammit

**pissed***

G

exact same prob as you, kdogg. I've tried with my new geforce2 mx, and with an old voodoo banshee from the old computer. Nothing.
With the ddr ram installed, I get system beeps; first is either 1 long or 2 or 3 very quickly; then 8, 2, and then 1.
With the old pc100 installed, I get no beeps, but still no signal to the monitor.
It's running off of a 400w power supply, and the cpu is a 1.4ghz tbird.
Anyone know what could be going on here?

kdogg

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2001
Well at least you are getting some beeps! I cant even get that. I tried running the motherboard outside of the case last night, I set it on a small foam pad and hooked everything up and still the exact same thing happened. I have cleared the cmos a few times and am 100% sure I have the jumpers set correctly, (theres only 2) Guess you get what you pay for.. looks like I will be ordering a kg7 on monday and send this POS back to where it came from.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What power supplies are you guys using? Mr_Argh, that wouldn't happen to be that POS future power 4oo watt supply would it? the k7s5a is rather fussy about what power supply it uses.

Video editing?? Ha, I don't even own a camera!

G

Now me,
Got my Mobo changed from the supplier, fitted it, Booted up guess what, Beeps all over the place and no monitor signal.
Changed me new g-force 2 64 meg vid card for an old 32 meg card, and presto (laughing all over the place) set the bios, no prob shut down my system and left it, went back 2 hrs later and guess what, them beeps came back. 2 blown vid cards in 3 hrs not bad eh.
Try putting your card in on old machine to see if it's blown..
Does anyone know why this is happening. if so tell me please...

I'm using a 300 watt power unit (power flow controled)
800 mghz Duron
g-force 64 mg graphics card

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
Your 2/3 beeps indicates memory errors. Your 8 beeps means something is wrong with the detection of your AGP card. Pull out the AGP card and put it back in, making sure it goes all the down into the slot. This board seems to be very sensitive about the insertion of the video card in the AGP slot.

See a real naked pic of Britney Spears <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">here</A>!!!

kdogg

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2001
As for power supplies I have a 1 month old Enermax 450 whisper.

Are you absolutly sure the Vid cards are "blown" - as in not working anymore ..ever? I have a Brand new Radeon 64DDR vivo on the way and do not want to risk f&*cking it up with this board.

G

I can't be sure theve blown as i haven't got an old system to try them in..

If youv'e got an old system try your g-force 2 in and let me know if it's dead

kdogg

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2001
I know that my cards are still good, I have a radeon 32DDR and a TNT Riva and both still work in an older system.

This whole thing really ticks me off, I just built an identical system for my niegbor and didnt have one problem whatsoever, then when its finally my turn to get one this happens....ahh I guess thats how it goes?

G

I know one of my cards is dead, this was killed when i rebooted, don't know why. so you were lucky mate..

I'll try the other one (g-force 2 ) at work tomorrow and let you know

Can anyone tell me why it killed it ?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Mazoo on 10/07/01 04:40 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

change the humper of the keybord powerup on the motherbord
does the trick every time

G

well, guess what. at 3am yesterday morning, after reading a review mentioning the same problem being fixed by reseating the vid card, I very carefully reseated it for the 5th or so time. What I noticed is that my case was pushing on my card. So, I forced the back panel of my case out a bit more, slooooooowly and carefully reinserted the card, and voila. I have a picture. I can't remember if I even got any beeps after that, but I promptly set the ram auto-detect on, and had no more problems. My only complaint is that I did, however, eventually have to give the thing back to it's owner. ):

G

Iv'e done....
Anyone who's having beep problems with their K7S5A not reading the vid card, take it out and insert it again, this board is very fussy, the card must sitting all the way in.

Many thanks to all of you who have given tips and suggestions, not forgetting (STICKY), cheers mate I owe you a beer..

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
Yer Welcome!
So when are we gonna start chuggin'??!!

See a real naked pic of Britney Spears <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">here</A>!!!